GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The acceleration problem just happened to me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 01:43 PM
silo113
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation The acceleration problem just happened to me!!!

I also posted in the other thread, but I need help on what to do. This Toyota acceleration is not BS!!! It just happened to me!! I was stopped at a light on my way back from lunch. Foot was on the brake. My car suddenly started revving/pulsing 6-7000rpm and thrusting forward. It would have taken off if I didn't keep the foot on the brake. I looked around thinking I was bumped from behind. I shifted in to neutral...no change. I shut it off. When I started it again it was a rough idle, but normal otherwise. I'm scared if my wife is driving it and it happens again.

WHAT DO I DO!?
Old 03-31-10, 01:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

just call dealership and ask them to tow the car in
Old 03-31-10, 01:49 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

?! I guess keep us updated if it happens again...
Old 03-31-10, 02:02 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow...hope it works out. Keep is updated. Glad you're OK.

Where in Cali are you and which dealership do you go to?
Old 03-31-10, 02:12 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Wait.. I thought RPMS will not exceed 2000 when foot is on brake. IT wont allow me to, if I am brake torquing....
Old 03-31-10, 02:14 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, i'd say more than 2000. This is when the torque converter stall speed comes into play. But yeah, it's interesting how it could possible rev that high and still be in gear.
Old 03-31-10, 02:24 PM
canatto
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silo113
I also posted in the other thread, but I need help on what to do. This Toyota acceleration is not BS!!! It just happened to me!! I was stopped at a light on my way back from lunch. Foot was on the brake. My car suddenly started revving/pulsing 6-7000rpm and thrusting forward. It would have taken off if I didn't keep the foot on the brake. I looked around thinking I was bumped from behind. I shifted in to neutral...no change. I shut it off. When I started it again it was a rough idle, but normal otherwise. I'm scared if my wife is driving it and it happens again.

WHAT DO I DO!?
Definitely have a dealer check it up. Since you mentioned when it acted up you were standing still and the rpm hit 6k - 7k, I doubt the transmission was in an engaged status at the moment, as there has been no automatic tranny in a sedan having a torque converter capable of stall speed that high, as far as I know. Therefore the dealer must hunt a ghost that had to do two things to be able to scare you with the rpm runaway trick, 1) to disengage the tranny, and 2) floor the gas (or open the throttle fully)

No offence, but I'd love to have what you had during that lunch. It's intriguing

Last edited by canatto; 03-31-10 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-31-10, 02:25 PM
silo113
Rookie

Even more interesting that the RPM can climb w/o my foot near the accelerator! As for the dealership...that is the problem. I moved to the central coast and now live 2 hours from the nearest Lexus dealer (Ventura, CA). I have a call into corporate to see if I can take it to Toyota.

I know what they will say. They will want me in for diagnosis, charge me, tell me they found nothing wrong, and send me on my way. That is the problem with being one of the first with a problem. This is probably a different issue anyway, since my car is an '06 and most have not had the issue.
Old 03-31-10, 02:38 PM
Pmach
Rookie

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but from all the stories/claims I've read up on unintended acceleration, the common complaint was the car continued to accelerate only after the gas pedal was released after accelerating. Now, you are saying while at a stop light the vehicle started to accelerate while holding the brake pedal. That seems to contradict everything I've read up on. Also as other members posted, to have the vehicle in drive, with your foot on the brake and vehicle reving that high seems highly unlikely.
Old 03-31-10, 02:53 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

wth? this is interesting.. keep us updated.
Old 03-31-10, 03:06 PM
silo113
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pmach
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but from all the stories/claims I've read up on unintended acceleration, the common complaint was the car continued to accelerate only after the gas pedal was released after accelerating. Now, you are saying while at a stop light the vehicle started to accelerate while holding the brake pedal. That seems to contradict everything I've read up on. Also as other members posted, to have the vehicle in drive, with your foot on the brake and vehicle reving that high seems highly unlikely.
May not be the same problem, but a scary problem anyway. If I had let go of the brake, the car would have flown forward into the truck in front of me. When I restarted, it was a very rough idle (not Lexus-like).
Old 03-31-10, 03:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by silo113
May not be the same problem, but a scary problem anyway. If I had let go of the brake, the car would have flown forward into the truck in front of me. When I restarted, it was a very rough idle (not Lexus-like).
the car was lurking to move forward? if you were in 1st gear, reving high to 6200rpm (redline. can't be more coz' i believe limiter will bounce), even with your foot on the brakes, the rear should brake loose just like doing a burnout? if the rear wheels didn't spin, seems like not that much power was going to the wheels.

but again, just curious. call up lexus and tell them you don't want to drive the car anywhere due to safety. that's a valid concern
Old 03-31-10, 04:11 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car is under warranty they can try to diagnose it. If it isn't And they can't reproduce this effect then your best bet is to sell it.
Old 03-31-10, 04:11 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

hmm, interesting too. I would think that lexus would have to replicate the instance that happened to you with your car to get some sort of a claim or fix. Sucks that if they can't replicate it you might be charged for diagnosis and be called a liar. Hope all goes well.
Old 03-31-10, 04:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

one thing they can do is to pull all the data from the computer and see what happened at the incident, looking at the gas pedal and brake pedal position, throttle, etc... it's all on record. that's why i say don't drive and let them flatbed the car in. so they can do all analysis they want/need

Quick Reply: The acceleration problem just happened to me!!!