GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The acceleration problem just happened to me!!!

Old 04-01-10, 02:05 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silo113
I hate that I appear to be the first, b/c no one believes it until later. And as the above poster stated...I have nothing to gain from lying (I do fine in my profession) I have only owned the car for 1 yr w/o any problems. I filed a complaint with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration this morning and he stated they have had issues reported where the cars were already stopped (not sure if Lexus or not). The issue (and why they have brought in a team of NASA engineers to study) is that the "black box" does not pick up anything out of the ordinary when scanned. Basically pointless to take into a dealer.

Not in so many words he said to continue to drive it, knowing to brake and shift to neutral if it happens again.
I personally don't feel you're making it up because you're right, what do you have to gain? Best of luck to you. I'm a firm believer of Karma so I hope to God you're not! In Japanese, it's called Bachi. "What comes around, goes around".

Best of luck to you!!
Old 04-01-10, 02:08 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toymota
Like others have said, 6,000 rpm in Drive against the brakes would have exceeded the torque converter stall speed. If it was true, then the one-way clutch in the torque converter stator, or one of the clutches or brakes in the transmission could be permanently damaged now. I would tell Lexus to check these.

It could be (amongst all the other theories) an idle speed control valve malfunction, but I don't think it opens enough to make the engine go WOT. Just wondering since you said you had a rough idle afterwards.
I couldn't agree more. These cars don't have IAC's anymore as everything is controlled electronically but, do you know if there's any sort of IAC-like device on the throttle body? Or does the throttle plate simply open slightly to allow more air?
Old 04-01-10, 05:05 PM
DaBeast
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Well, i'd say more than 2000. This is when the torque converter stall speed comes into play. But yeah, it's interesting how it could possible rev that high and still be in gear.
If you turn off the track control it will go over that RPM range no prob.
Old 04-01-10, 05:13 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TWong1200
I couldn't agree more. These cars don't have IAC's anymore as everything is controlled electronically but, do you know if there's any sort of IAC-like device on the throttle body? Or does the throttle plate simply open slightly to allow more air?
Ah, I forgot about the ETCS. Well that could be worse since WOT is now available to the idle speed control system. But there should be a fail-safe to prevent this.
Old 04-01-10, 05:27 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaBeast
If you turn off the track control it will go over that RPM range no prob.
I don't think there was wheel spin either... One would think, that something like that would easily blow the transmission...
Old 04-01-10, 06:52 PM
apro4567
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
if it was an issue for the GS how come everyone is suddenly starting to have these problems now? im not saying hes lying but its kinda odd that now all of a sudden these problems are popping up. the car is nearly 5yrs old and this is the first time its happened? They even mentioned that the GS is excluded from the list.
No dissrespect intended, but didnt Toyota also "mention" in the begining that the issue was soley a result of the floor mat and nothing else. Well, here we are a little while later with the basically the entire Toyota line recalled and 4 lives lost as a result of this issue with a Lexus. Toyota doesnt know what theyre doing quite yet, if they did these people would still be alieve. As for why its starting to act up now, we dont necesarily know that this is new. Its not like every single issue with these are going to make headlines, like this one we're talking about. The media is probably never going to hear about this... doesnt mean it didnt happen.
Old 04-01-10, 07:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by apro4567
No dissrespect intended, but didnt Toyota also "mention" in the begining that the issue was soley a result of the floor mat and nothing else. Well, here we are a little while later with the basically the entire Toyota line recalled and 4 lives lost as a result of this issue with a Lexus. Toyota doesnt know what theyre doing quite yet, if they did these people would still be alieve. As for why its starting to act up now, we dont necesarily know that this is new. Its not like every single issue with these are going to make headlines, like this one we're talking about. The media is probably never going to hear about this... doesnt mean it didnt happen.
to be exactly clear, the 4 who died in the es350, that was a floormat issue, nothing else. so in that case lexus / toyota were not lying about anything. as far as i know there is zero data from that accident indicating that the gas pedal was stuck by any reasons other than the floormats.

i am not defending lexus / toyota, they have problems and no denial on that, but just want to make sure everything is clear.
Old 04-01-10, 07:22 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

did it rain in your area today?
Old 04-01-10, 11:06 PM
apro4567
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
to be exactly clear, the 4 who died in the es350, that was a floormat issue, nothing else. so in that case lexus / toyota were not lying about anything. as far as i know there is zero data from that accident indicating that the gas pedal was stuck by any reasons other than the floormats.

i am not defending lexus / toyota, they have problems and no denial on that, but just want to make sure everything is clear.
u sure? youve probably heard right but there cant be a SET way for toyota to know that since they ended up with a burnt ES. but its likely. I just mean like my dealer "assured" me that this was an issue only with the floor mats and nothing else but all those cars ended up being reacalled and now they changed it to "not on the GS we promise"
Old 04-02-10, 12:34 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

Not to start an argument but there was no proven fact no where on the internet or TV that stated it was 100% floor mat issue. It could of been anything they are checking it and still not 100% sure its was the mat. They will tell you its the mat not to scare people, but honestly it can be something that we don't know about and neither do they. I hope all this BS settle's down soon, for the OP dude i hope everything goes good. Keep you're hand on the shifter at all times and be rdy to throw it into neutral. If by any chance u can take a video camera and tape it while in a safe area (like u are on a empty light or something would be great)
Old 04-02-10, 09:02 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

I hadn't considered a possible link between TRAC and VSC with the high idling that I experienced.

I routinely have both off (I feel safer with full control and enjoy it more), but only started switching them off this Fall. I started getting the high idle this Winter, when temps were around 40 F or colder. Didn't think to try leaving them on to see if it made a difference ... too late now.

Anyone else drive in similar temps with TRAC and VSC disengaged experience unusually high idling at stops?
Old 04-02-10, 10:30 AM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CAK 500
I hadn't considered a possible link between TRAC and VSC with the high idling that I experienced.

I routinely have both off (I feel safer with full control and enjoy it more), but only started switching them off this Fall. I started getting the high idle this Winter, when temps were around 40 F or colder. Didn't think to try leaving them on to see if it made a difference ... too late now.

Anyone else drive in similar temps with TRAC and VSC disengaged experience unusually high idling at stops?
I dont see and dont believe that there is any link between them. Idle rpm depend only on outside temperature. To be exact - range of it. Lower than 41F would keep idle 1000+ even in drive position. 41 and up - will drop to 600-ish when in drive, but jumps back to 1000+ if in neutral... until reaches normal engine temp.
Old 04-02-10, 11:11 AM
kbeli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Not to start an argument but there was no proven fact no where on the internet or TV that stated it was 100% floor mat issue. It could of been anything they are checking it and still not 100% sure its was the mat. They will tell you its the mat not to scare people, but honestly it can be something that we don't know about and neither do they. I hope all this BS settle's down soon, for the OP dude i hope everything goes good. Keep you're hand on the shifter at all times and be rdy to throw it into neutral. If by any chance u can take a video camera and tape it while in a safe area (like u are on a empty light or something would be great)
Agreed! Toyota said it was the floor mats with a . The NHTSA said not so fast.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...buked-on-mats/
Old 04-02-10, 11:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Originally Posted by kbeli
Agreed! Toyota said it was the floor mats with a . The NHTSA said not so fast.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...buked-on-mats/
not going to go any further, but there is no proof it's due to a stuck pedal as well, no one can prove either way so no one can really associate it with stuck pedal. the last known report i have read is it's due to floormats, so from legal stand point that's the latest stand. i am ready to be disproved, but it has to official. otherwise rumors can go very far and in reality means nothing

and same thing applies here. there a few facts posted in this thread (and i consider OP's posts facts unless proven otherwise), but any other speculations are just that, speculations
Old 04-02-10, 10:48 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Agreed i want official prove of what exactly happend to that es350. And why would u even put double floor mat? its makes it higher which i would consider uncomfortable for pedals?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The acceleration problem just happened to me!!!