GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The acceleration problem just happened to me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 11:13 PM
alwayzspeedin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

at least your safe
Old 03-31-10, 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
I think a camera phone can record this situation and U'll have your proof. I thought N would kick it out of gear.. but wow... a crazy idea but try shift into manual gear and down gear manually.

BTW, not sure if U know but it's also not recommend to turn off the engine while the car is in motion... but you can hold down the START button to force the engine turn off.

U shouldn't turn the car back on, just tow it to dealer, the log should be fresh in the system.

Wow, I thought '06 pass this kind of problem... I guess I better have some contingency plan.
his car was stopped so that means it was in 1st gear already, there is no other downshift to be done. plus even if he's in some other gears and the engine was actually in redline, the computer won't let you downshift neither

i always play benefit of the doubts, but unless it's proven wrong, i say be cautious (everyone) and no need to panic. we can all see what happened recently when people got panic about toyota (and how many falsified reports we have seen)

to OP, i'd be very cautious. like i said in my earlier post, if it's really at redline and it's really in gear, that means the tq converter stall speed is "broken" and that's bad idea for the tranny. not to mention if that happens then you would have been doing a serious burnout already. be careful and document everything, that's your only best bet
Old 03-31-10, 11:47 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i've done a quick search in the 3GS forum, and this thread appears to be the first reported case of an acceleration problem...
Old 04-01-10, 12:01 AM
sagikun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you sure you dont mean 600 rpm...?
Old 04-01-10, 12:26 AM
[0350]
Pole Position

I smell BS, Its amazing that you have had the car for 4 years, no problems with the accelerator, but now that the whole accelerator problem with Toyota is out in the air, your car now has the problem...?

So why didnt it do it in the last 4yrs? before this hype hit the media??
Old 04-01-10, 02:28 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

seriously though, best of luck with this case.

dr pepper had some kind of malfunction with the traction control in his gs430 recently, and his car lurched forward or something.

so these isolated cases can happen to anyone.
Old 04-01-10, 04:35 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

im not saying it didnt happen to you but its just funny all of these stories now popping up after this whole acceleration issue.
Old 04-01-10, 06:50 AM
LexFather

I suggest

The GS is excluded from this recall witchhunt and the only thing I've read as of late are people making stories up about their cars can't stop.

How about people stop lying or stop driving.
Old 04-01-10, 08:38 AM
RooRa
Driver

The GS is excluded from this recall witchhunt and the only thing I've read as of late are people making stories up about their cars can't stop.

How about people stop lying or stop driving.
QFT

I smell ducktales
Old 04-01-10, 09:35 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of these people are going to feel like complete jerks once it happens to them. They should consider themselves very lucky that it has not happened to them already.

It really sucks to pay a lot of money for a car that doesn't operate properly, and the manufacturer says there is nothing wrong.
Old 04-01-10, 09:39 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by helpmeout1
Some of these people are going to feel like complete jerks once it happens to them. They should consider themselves very lucky that it has not happened to them already.

It really sucks to pay a lot of money for a car that doesn't operate properly, and the manufacturer says there is nothing wrong.
if it was an issue for the GS how come everyone is suddenly starting to have these problems now? im not saying hes lying but its kinda odd that now all of a sudden these problems are popping up. the car is nearly 5yrs old and this is the first time its happened? They even mentioned that the GS is excluded from the list.
Old 04-01-10, 10:08 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
if it was an issue for the GS how come everyone is suddenly starting to have these problems now? im not saying hes lying but its kinda odd that now all of a sudden these problems are popping up. the car is nearly 5yrs old and this is the first time its happened? They even mentioned that the GS is excluded from the list.
I've had a problem with my GS for a couple years, and brought it to the attention of Lexus before all these recalls. I do not have a floor mat issue, or the same type of pedal involved in the recalls. The GS seems to have an issue of its own, which is possibly electronic.
Old 04-01-10, 10:53 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far as I'm aware, no one on this forum is cutting checks to other members who claim they are having an acceleration problem, so lets cut the nasty comments, shall we? This is a forum for advice and the sort, I don't see much of a motive for anyone to BS about this.

Personally, I have never had a problem with outright unintended acceleration, but have definitely had instances of very high idling ... enough to make me put it in neutral at stops. I always chalked it up to being a "character flaw" of the GS350 engine, ala clickety-clack. For me, it has only happened when the engine is still cool, so don't know if this falls into the problem category or not.

I'm not too worried about this, but am definitely interested in hearing others' experiences. This would be a good topic for a poll.
Old 04-01-10, 01:47 PM
silo113
Rookie

Originally Posted by CAK 500
So far as I'm aware, no one on this forum is cutting checks to other members who claim they are having an acceleration problem, so lets cut the nasty comments, shall we? This is a forum for advice and the sort, I don't see much of a motive for anyone to BS about this.

Personally, I have never had a problem with outright unintended acceleration, but have definitely had instances of very high idling ... enough to make me put it in neutral at stops. I always chalked it up to being a "character flaw" of the GS350 engine, ala clickety-clack. For me, it has only happened when the engine is still cool, so don't know if this falls into the problem category or not.

I'm not too worried about this, but am definitely interested in hearing others' experiences. This would be a good topic for a poll.
I hate that I appear to be the first, b/c no one believes it until later. And as the above poster stated...I have nothing to gain from lying (I do fine in my profession) I have only owned the car for 1 yr w/o any problems. I filed a complaint with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration this morning and he stated they have had issues reported where the cars were already stopped (not sure if Lexus or not). The issue (and why they have brought in a team of NASA engineers to study) is that the "black box" does not pick up anything out of the ordinary when scanned. Basically pointless to take into a dealer.

Not in so many words he said to continue to drive it, knowing to brake and shift to neutral if it happens again.
Old 04-01-10, 02:05 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

Like others have said, 6,000 rpm in Drive against the brakes would have exceeded the torque converter stall speed. If it was true, then the one-way clutch in the torque converter stator, or one of the clutches or brakes in the transmission could be permanently damaged now. I would tell Lexus to check these.

It could be (amongst all the other theories) an idle speed control valve malfunction, but I don't think it opens enough to make the engine go WOT. Just wondering since you said you had a rough idle afterwards.

Quick Reply: The acceleration problem just happened to me!!!