GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

I have a 07 GS350 - Just test drove a 10 Hyundai Genesis - Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 12:21 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 07 GS350 - Just test drove a 10 Hyundai Genesis - Wow!

I was shopping for a car for my wife. We had an 09 ES350 this week as a loaner. It didn't get me too excited.

But on a Whim I stopped by a Hyundai Dealer and took a test drive in a 2010 Genesis. It was loaded with pretty much everything my GS350 had. It was the 6 cylinder not the 8. It felt like a superior car to my GS. Especially the ride! It put the ES350 to shame! - I think we may get this car when the 2011 comes out. It would be a slam dunk if it was AWD or FWD. Currently it is only RWD.

This is a very, very nice car! And get this; they wanted around $35K for this car! - No way am I paying more for an ES350.
Old 03-27-10, 12:27 PM
Coolpop
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the new Genesis is supposed to be bad ***.
Old 03-27-10, 12:28 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would prefer a FWD over a RWD??? o.O
Old 03-27-10, 12:37 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mysteryan
You would prefer a FWD over a RWD??? o.O
I live in Minneapolis. I had a GS300 RWD, and it was a sled in the snow. This is for my wife and she insists on AWD or FWD. But, I may give her my GS350 AWD and get the Genesis myself.
Old 03-27-10, 12:38 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last November I had the pleasure of driving the Hyundai Equus for a couple miles (after it was displayed at the LA Auto Show). That is a car worth considering (if you can set aside the prestige factor). I was most impressed with was the quality of the interior. Impressive, understated yet outstanding.
Old 03-27-10, 12:52 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you just thought it was cool because it's new to you, unlike your everyday GS
Old 03-27-10, 12:56 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lex
you just thought it was cool because it's new to you, unlike your everyday GS
Not true! - As I said I had a new ES350 this week as a loaner and although it was new, I was not that impressed.

All I can say take a test drive and make up your own mind. When I took the test drive today, I was comparing the Genesis to the ES350. But I liked it better than my GS350.
Old 03-27-10, 12:57 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

i wouldn't pay 35k for a hyundai, but that's just me *shrugs*
Old 03-27-10, 02:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
i wouldn't pay 35k for a hyundai, but that's just me *shrugs*
people said the same thing about Lexus. Its a 50k toyota.

Hyundai had the GS in its sights when they created the Genesis and the GS is showing its age ( as well as the ES). The Genesis is a stellar car........kind of like the original LS. Wether you buy that its a great car or not, I have a feeling Hyundai will make the masses respect it by producing high quality cars to compete with the Japanese.....
Old 03-27-10, 03:53 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove the Genesis too. I much prefer it to the ES350. But I would rather have the GS350 over a Genesis 3.8. It's well built and well equipped. However it is too big and too soft to fit the mould of the mid-size sports sedan.

This said, as a $35k new car, I think it's the best on the market at that price point.
Old 03-27-10, 05:07 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same, I would chose the GS350 or GS460 over the Genesis V8 too. The Hyundai interior is still a bit tacky in my opinion and is not as good quality as the GS or other luxury cars. The handling is a bit mediocre, too soft and a bit ponderous at times. Not a bad car but not an exciting car to drive.
Old 03-27-10, 05:39 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Same, I would chose the GS350 or GS460 over the Genesis V8 too. The Hyundai interior is still a bit tacky in my opinion and is not as good quality as the GS or other luxury cars. The handling is a bit mediocre, too soft and a bit ponderous at times. Not a bad car but not an exciting car to drive.
It's interesting you say that. I thought there were areas the Hyundai interior was cheap, but there are even more areas the GS interior is cheap. To name a few:
1) Hyundai has a leather covered dash whereas we have a plastic dashboard. This for me is one area where our cars feel cheap. Hyundai, Cadillac, BMW, and Jaguar offer leather dashes in this class. Hyundai is the only one that offers it as standard.
2)The swtiches are metallic finish in the Hyundai, but are plain black or beige plastic in the GS. Also we have more plastic bezels and the Hyundai has more metal bezels, e.g. for the door handles.
3) The green lighting of the buttons in the GS feels cheap compared with blue led lighting in the Hyundai.
Old 03-27-10, 06:09 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

I drove Genesis V8 three times. Came very close to buying it. Would have bought it if I wasn't afraid that service would be sub-par (my wife kept pointing out that the dealer would probably laugh if I tried complaining about rattles or squeaks). If it wasn't for this fear, I'd buy the Genesis. I believe it is superior to the GS in some respects, and it is $10 - $15K cheaper.
Old 03-27-10, 06:45 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

The Hyundai dealer experience is a real barrier to Genesis. I share that concern. Whenever I walk into a Hyundai dealership there seems to be a lack of the professionalism you get at Lexus.
Old 03-27-10, 06:58 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by batman75
The Hyundai dealer experience is a real barrier to Genesis. I share that concern. Whenever I walk into a Hyundai dealership there seems to be a lack of the professionalism you get at Lexus.
I certainly agree with you there!

- But the reason I bought a Lexus in the first place, was to not have to go to the dealer at all. That was my experience with my 1999 GS300 and 2003 ES300 Unfortunately, I have spent too much time at the dealer with my 2007 GS350.

I don't mind a few car problems that can be fixed, but the dash rattles have sent me looking at other models. I have been to the dealer 4 times for dash rattles; and while the dealership was top notch and did everything under their power to correct the problems, this was unacceptable. I don't think I've ever had a car problem that was so annoying.

I owned 3 Honda Accords and never spent the amount of time at a Honda Dealership with all 3 cars combined that I have spent with my single GS350.

So, I am willing to take a chance on Hyundai.

Quick Reply: I have a 07 GS350 - Just test drove a 10 Hyundai Genesis - Wow!