GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Minor scratches, how much?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 12:05 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Minor scratches, how much?

Does anyone know about how much Lexus would charge to fix or repaint some minor scratches on the back bumper of my Black GS. They are meduim to light white scratches. When you wash the car, they still appear which I guess its a little deeper than light. Just wondering if anyone has had Lexus repair this for them and about how much I should be looking at spending? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-10, 12:10 PM
peewhy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i dont know how much it will run i have a few like that also on my black gs i picked up a bottle of Color Magic Car Polish from turtle wax and it come with a black lipstick pen type deal to rub in the scratches going to see if this works people ive talked to with black cars said it did so probably next weekend im going to fully detail the car and ill post up a thread about it...
Old 03-24-10, 01:08 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

You would only want to have Lexus dealer or associated body shop handle such repairs if you had so much money that you did not know what to do with it. Clearly, since you're asking this question, you do not have money to throw down the toilet. Find a couple of reputable local body shops (ask friends and neighbors for recommendations or use Angie's List) and get free quotes from them. My guess is that it would be between $150 and $500 depending on how bad the scratches are.
Old 03-24-10, 02:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I would suggest a really good detailer . If they are deep than a body shop. You e surprised what a good detailer can do
Old 03-24-10, 02:06 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would suggest a really good detailer . If they are deep than a body shop. You e surprised what a good detailer can do
Yes, it's often just a matter of touch up paint, then wet sanding, and then running over it with a porter cable and some good cutting polish on that panel. It's nothing you couldn't do yourself if you had a day on a weekend to devote to some experimenting.

Of course, you need to invest in the tool but those things pay for themselves in no time if you're the kind of person that likes to have a shiny car.
Old 03-24-10, 02:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am HUGE detail freak but I dont like to mess with stuff like scratches because if you do not know exactly what you are doing you can add more scratches. I have a guy in town who is amazing. He does cars, planes, and boats.
Old 03-24-10, 03:18 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on how deep the scratches are, i got crazy scratches off my car. this sanitation guy dragged a garbage back on my hood one time, lucky i didn't catch him but i freaked out. i got it all out with manzerna polish and the porter cable
tam, i got so good with this detailing crap haha
Old 03-24-10, 05:14 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gs350on22s
depends on how deep the scratches are, i got crazy scratches off my car. this sanitation guy dragged a garbage back on my hood one time, lucky i didn't catch him but i freaked out. i got it all out with manzerna polish and the porter cable
tam, i got so good with this detailing crap haha
+1 Merzerma Super Intensive Polish with P106ff will obliterate most scratches with a DA. If you want to spend a minimal amount. Pick up a bottle of ScratchX by Meguiars. Works one of the best amongst hand polishes and readily available over the counter. It's going to take a lot of time and elbow grease, but if it's just a small spot, I'm sure you wouldn't mind putting in the time. In the long run, I would invest in a machine so you can get rid of swirls and make it look like new (if not better).
Old 03-24-10, 05:19 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they are not to deep use this. It really is a amazing product.

Old 03-24-10, 05:28 PM
Paul_in_PA
Rookie

Agree with the detailer suggestion. I had a couple of "dings" in my side and asked the Lexus dealer. They suggested I go to a detailer and that many of these minor blemishes can be handled by a good detailer. For $100 I had a couple of dings gone (no drilling, no bondo, no proof it was ever there.) It's like magic!
Old 03-24-10, 07:22 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the scratches are only in clearcoat then get a detailer. Most scratches can be fixed that way. I once had a piece of debris hit my front bumper. Having a Lexus authorized repair facility fix it cost me $300-400. The Total bill was higher because I also had to replace one of the parking sensors which got knocked out by the impact.

That said they did an amazing job. The best paintwork I have ever seen. I would call it OEM quality. So I would not go to anyone other than a Lexus facility for paintwork.
Old 03-25-10, 04:43 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
If the scratches are only in clearcoat then get a detailer. Most scratches can be fixed that way. I once had a piece of debris hit my front bumper. Having a Lexus authorized repair facility fix it cost me $300-400. The Total bill was higher because I also had to replace one of the parking sensors which got knocked out by the impact.

That said they did an amazing job. The best paintwork I have ever seen. I would call it OEM quality. So I would not go to anyone other than a Lexus facility for paintwork.
Yes, it's hard to tell sometimes with thin scratches on black paint because a scratch against the black basecoat in the clear will appear white and the primer is also white... Now why don't they tint the clear dark and dye the primer black again? :P Funny thing is, that I've seen white cars with scratches and other body damage and their primer is dark grey... it's like they want it to stand out as much as possible.
Old 03-25-10, 05:59 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikedozz
Does anyone know about how much Lexus would charge to fix or repaint some minor scratches on the back bumper of my Black GS. They are meduim to light white scratches. When you wash the car, they still appear which I guess its a little deeper than light. Just wondering if anyone has had Lexus repair this for them and about how much I should be looking at spending? Thanks in advance.
I had some damage on my back bumper and got quoted 500 to repaint the entire thing.
Old 03-25-10, 12:13 PM
RooRa
Driver

i just leave it as is, it is gonna get scratched up again, where I live anyways. =(

i got massive door dings too and OMG they are annoying and put a frown on my face every time i see them