GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 09:44 PM
NiceGS300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down wheels

hey i have 06 gs300 awd and i attemped to put some wheels on it i had a budget of about 2000 so I went and bought a set of used exe (konkourse) 20inch wheels in great shape with brand new falken tires lug nuts mounted and balanced for $1578 at this wheels shop he said they would fit he just put a hub ring and they fit fine. then as soon as i pull out of the garage i backed up and heard rubbing then went around the block twice heard the rubbing in the front loud and the back!!!! now im mad i go in and tell him he says if its just the back they can just bend the plastic underneath it to fit and the front plastic guard is barely hitting it will just wear out on its own. now i baby my car a lot ! and felt so parinoyed hearing those sounds not to metion i never drove a car as smooth as a lexus and love the ride now with these wheels i felt like i was driving a dump truck. so i went in and asked to exchange them and it wasnt the most easy thing in the world i had to put up a little fight but i got my money back in the end and put my stock wheels back on. i just would appreciate and need some feedback did i make the right, smart, wise, decision? would that of been a bad idea to keep them? are there any oem or lexus staggard 19 or 20 inch wheels that would fit safe and drive well,normal with my car? and should i just stick with my stock 06 alloy wheels that look nice and ride great? this really stessed me the past 2 days i even lost sleep please leave sum thoughts on what i should do thanks ,matt
Old 01-29-10, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

matt, doing wheels is like an art, a lot of factors come into play to decide if you are going to rub or not

for 20s, one question is what kind of tires did they set up for you. if they use overspec tires, then pretty sure for sure you will have some rubbing. if they use spec diameter tires, it will help, but then of course widths and offsets come into play and decide if it's too aggressive or not.
Old 01-29-10, 11:03 PM
NiceGS300
Rookie

yea ur right he mentioned something about stretching the tires but then the wheel wont be that protected and i dont wanna go through tires like water i dont have money or time for that so i guess im better off just keeping my stock 17's and keeping them clean? i feel like an idiot now at least im not out my money though just a lot of time ,stress,and disappointment because they looked good so i guess ill just stick to this quote - Do it once and do it right. Do your homework to get it right.
- If you can't afford it, drive the car stock.
- promoting knock-offs is shameful on a car enthusiast site, not to mention companies who make/sell knock-offs.
- it's authentic if it roots from the original company
Old 01-30-10, 05:32 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to be happy! You can find great rims on here for sale will the correct offsets. If I where you I would check out the classified section and see whats for sale. Many on here changes rims like they are going out of style and you can get a great deal and the correct offset for piece of mind.

From what your saying sounds like you may want to stick with a 19" rim. I would also check out Vossen with your budget. They just released 19" sizes that will be perfect for the GS so you dont have to modify anything on your car and they would be new. Check them out in the Vendor section and send a PM to find out what they can do on price for you.

We can help you find something that will work Dont give up!!
Old 01-30-10, 05:36 AM
NiceGS300
Rookie

oo aite thanks man will the car still ride smooth with them as well?
Old 01-30-10, 08:22 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want a smooth ride and no problems and no modifications stick with 18s. I don't have the patience or willingness to spend the money needed to go too far with wheels either.

Everybody here thinks 18s are too small, but it's your priorities. I even think 17s look fine on the car, but that's just me. I don't particularly like the style of the stock 17s though.

How wide were the rims that they put on and what were the tire sizes? At $1500 for everything, I guess the tires were probably noisy and crap to begin with... even after a heavy discount it's going to end up costing me close to $2000 for ISP Modes and Continential ExtremeContact DWS when all is said and done. Then again prices on all this stuff are more for me in Canada, tires would be much cheaper if i didn't have to have them shipped here.

By the way, I'm close by in Providence right now on business and there is absolutely nothing to do here and last night it was cold as heck... colder than up north at home! there is a 3GS AWD in the parking lot at the hotel here that I already checked out. =)

Last edited by BinaryJay; 01-30-10 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-30-10, 09:38 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides the tire size on the 20", the wheel width maight also be a factor to the front rubbing. A very wide front wheel say 9.5" requires wide tire and it rubs when it turns... You need to do homework and the shop really needs to know what they are doing.
Old 01-30-10, 09:55 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 22s that don t rub on anything but plastic but i had to do some fender mods when i lowered it if you were just rubbing on plastic find out where and take a razor knife and cut it back some no biggie! the tires will tell you quick what you are rubbing on if its metal you ll see where it has shredded the tire if there are no marks on your tire than its most likely plastic IMO if it don t rub its not right!!!
Old 01-30-10, 01:08 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i bet they put 245/35 tires on the wheels.
Old 01-30-10, 02:00 PM
NiceGS300
Rookie

thanks everyone for the help nd yea i think ill stick to my stock 17's i dont wanna disrespect the gs the wheels were 9.5 in the front and 10.5 in the back and those asanti 22's look official i just dont wanna sacrafice that beatiful gs smooth ride and to the guy above me yea thats the tires they ran for me to try to give some protection it just didnt work though.
Old 01-30-10, 06:58 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its all about research my friend you need to know these things at least.

offsets of wheels
width of wheels
tires size
how flush you want the wheel to be with the fendor (do you want to cut or shave vendor or just leave it stock)

You can find a lot of this info in the GS3 wheel thread at the top of the GS3 forum
Old 01-30-10, 07:06 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NiceGS300
oo aite thanks man will the car still ride smooth with them as well?
the ride difference is so minimal from 18" rims to 19" rims on the GS. You will still have a good amount of tire for a decent ride. Do you have OEM run flats? If so 19's will feel like butter Its all about what you want and feel comfortable with. I think the GS looks best with 20" rims due to the size of the car. I was worried about ride when I purchased my rims, always had 19" rims in the past, and I am very pleased with the ride.

Check out the wheel thread to get some ideas and post back and Im sure we can help you out so you get something that will work!
Old 01-30-10, 08:02 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you're new to the game. You should have asked us before you purchased anything.
Old 01-30-10, 08:37 PM
R.DUB
Driver

Ice350 is right. Lean on the boards for solid advice. There are a lot of EXPERIENCED owners here and they will steer you in the best direction. Good luck!
Old 02-06-10, 10:13 AM
enigmaos
Driver

Indeed, research is the key. Also, ask the gurus on CL.

Quick Reply: wheels