GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

You have Got to Be Kidding (Braking and Acceleration)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 11:20 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwiall
Thanks for all the help guys. If you want to know how to fix your dash creaking send me $10 and an apology. I'll give you a hint. The noise is very deceiving, it is not coming from up by the defrost vent, it is far away from there but is related to the duct work.

Back to loving the car

Again, thanks for all the suport. Spend more time being part of the solution and less time being the problem. Enjoy you rattles
You got the wrong attitude on a car forum.
Old 01-10-10, 11:49 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys. If you want to know how to fix your dash creaking send me $10 and an apology. I'll give you a hint. The noise is very deceiving, it is not coming from up by the defrost vent, it is far away from there but is related to the duct work.

Back to loving the car

Again, thanks for all the suport. Spend more time being part of the solution and less time being the problem. Enjoy you rattles

Dave
look in this thread too
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iy-thread.html
Old 01-10-10, 02:35 PM
dwiall
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yang, I don't think I have the wrong attitude. You guys jumped on me for thinking I could solve the creaking dash problem that the whole Toyota motor group couldn't. I did solve it and it takes about 30 minutes,

Eyekutr, WOW!!!! I should consider myself very lucky that I don't have all the problems listed in that thread. My roads are very bumpy out here in the country and my car is now dead quite, I love it. The dash creak really bothered me because I thought I was going to have to pull the dash myself, the wife was not keen on this. My dealer took my dash off twice and when they gave it back he said it would make noise when it gets cold out. Maybe some of your dash creaks are not that bad but mine was terrible.

Don't know what else to say, was just frustrated and looking for some help. This was alot of money to me for a car brand that had a reputation far above any other auto makers and I was dissappointed.

Peace
Dave
Old 01-10-10, 04:27 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I did solve it and it takes about 30 minutes,
Dave
So, are you going to share your findings with the rest of us?
Old 01-10-10, 04:57 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arnieosp
So, are you going to share your findings with the rest of us?
He wants $10 and an apology
Old 01-10-10, 10:01 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider
He wants $10 and an apology
I guess, next time he asks a question, it'll be $15.
Old 01-10-10, 10:46 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have taken off my dash in my garage and did the TSB to stop the squeaking dash syndrome. The reason why it squeaks near the window is because the front of the dash is held on by app. 5 or 6 plastic clips to the metal frame of the front windshield. The TSB is to put felt in the plastic clips so when it is clipped on to the metal frame its doesn't have a plastic to metal contact and its a tighter fit. You are also suppose to put foam tape around the edge of the dash near the window. The job is a pain in the butt to do and sometimes when you are putting the dash back in the clip falls out. You wouldn't know if it falls out or not until you take the dash back off. Maybe when they put the dash by in the clip didn't seat into the metal frame or it fell off causing your dash to still squeak. Hope this helps. Just bring it back to the dealer and have them do it again and use more interior noise foam tape.
Old 01-10-10, 11:47 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow he found a problem not sharing, what are forums for then? want 10 bucks? how about 50 for all of us who read all ure complains and waisted our time for none sense and crap!
Old 01-11-10, 05:40 AM
dwiall
Driver

I think I only had one complaint, 'dash noise' the others were questions or observations which no-one explained, just made smart *** coments. What did I do to deserve this?

I think this is what started it and I was assuming Toyota new what was making the creaking noise, my fault, apparently they don't. And yes, the following is a true statement if they knew what it was and I know all of you could fix it also if you knew what it was. Again, sorry for the bad wording, had just got back going to the store with the wife and she had me furious with the car. Here is my statement.

I quarauntee if they showed me what was causing the creaking when they had the dash off it would take less than 5 minutes to correct it. If someone can tell me what it is I will tear it apart on fix it myself.

I went back through the thread and I must apologise to a few of you. I see the only one here that was an *** hat was Cut-throat. What's up with this guy?

Well, we are honored to have your presence here. Someone that is smarter than all of the entire Toyota Motor Company.

But you think you can fix this yourself on your first try. I think you underestimate the training and experience of people skilled in their field.

It is very arrogant and naive to assume that you know more than an expert of any field

and GS350LEXUS

You guys engaged me, and put me on the defensive.

wow he found a problem not sharing, what are forums for then? want 10 bucks? how about 50 for all of us who read all ure complains and waisted our time for none sense and crap!

Perhaps I came across as thinking my Solara was a better car, its not. All I did was make an observation about how the computer controls the braking and acceleration on slippery surfaces.

If what you say is true about Toyota/Lexus not knowing where the creak is coming from I am going to call them and see if they will give me a new front drivers seat at there cost for the information. The PO must have worn a tool belt in the car because it is all cut up. He weighed about 500 pounds too cause there is no cushin left. After I talk to them I will give you the fix.
Old 01-11-10, 05:53 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

lol this thread is too funny. how about you send me 10 bucks and ill tell you where your dash noise is coming from.

please note that your 10 dollars is not refundable if you are unable to fix the problem.
Old 01-11-10, 06:42 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Dude... I am sorry to tell you! But.....

The Vehicle Stability System on this car is far better than my BMW M5! Are you kidding me?
Old 01-11-10, 06:59 AM
dwiall
Driver

IXI187IXI, Thanks, but I don't have any dash rattles, or any rattles for that matter.

Glad to see we are back on track here.

Designo. I am just making an observation between 2 cars I own.

This is what I found on the web.

A typical ABS is composed of a central electronic control unit (ECU), four wheel speed sensors — one for each wheel — and two or more hydraulic valves within the brake hydraulics. The ECU constantly monitors the rotational speed of each wheel, and when it detects a wheel rotating significantly slower than the others — a condition indicative of impending wheel lock — it actuates the valves to reduce hydraulic pressure to the brake at the affected wheel, thus reducing the braking force on that wheel.

So the other wheels should maintain the brake force applied by the driver. What am I missing here? Does the GS only have 2 actuaters, one for the front and one for the rear? This would explain why the front on the pavement doesn't crab; the actuator is releasing pressure to both front wheels. I would go look but the wife is at work.

Just trying to understand why one car brakes better than the other.

Dave
Old 01-11-10, 07:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

dwiall great job on fixing your rattles! One rattle is enough for many people to go from loving the car to hating the car. Glad you didn't sell it

I had to go through the same thing with my 1999 GS400. It was plague with dash and sunroof rattles. Lexus tried to fix it many times but it never went away. Through the powers of clublexus, many people were able to find remedies without the dealer. Many of those fixes are so simple that it makes you go 'duh?'
Old 01-11-10, 07:29 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

if anything rattles, take it to lexus and have it fixed for free if your still under 50,000 miles
Old 01-11-10, 07:45 AM
dwiall
Driver

Default Creaking Dash Fix

I guess I am being as bad as a few of you are. Since this is such a fine automobile except for the dash creak, we should all enjoy it. If you are like me, the dash creak took all the enjoyment out of driving the car and wanted to sell it for a Buick.

Here is the fix that stopped the creaking up by the defrost vent on MY CAR.

The noise is coming from inside the engine bay. Running along the front windshield there is a plastic piece with screens in it for the air intake and has rubber weather stripping on top of it. Push around on this and you will hear the creaking noise. Take off the wippers and the side rubber pieces (just pull up on the side pieces, they will pop out) there is a fastener that holds the front piece in under these. You also have to remove the angle pieces on the outboard sides up by the windshield (they just slide out). Remove the 2 big plastic covers on each side of the silver engine cover. Now you have to wiggle the front piece around and slide it out between the 2 lifts that hold the hood up. Just to the right of the defrost vent there is some white metal, the bottom of the piece you just took off rubbs on this. I didn't have any glue so I just laid a piece of felt on this and put it back together. If it works loose I will buy some sticky back felt.

When you look at the front piece you take off you will see that they put felt on eveything except the curved part. When you shut the hood it presses on the rubber weather stripping and when it is cold it contracts just enough so it does not snugg the curved plastic part against the white metal part enough to keep it from moving.

Easy fix. Hope this helps you enjoy your car more.

Dave

Quick Reply: You have Got to Be Kidding (Braking and Acceleration)