GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Front brakes lock up under light braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 10:43 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Front brakes lock up under light braking

I have a 2007 GS350 rear wheel drive, and under light braking the front wheels completely lock up while the rear wheels continue to push the car forward. If you shift the car to neutral, while the car is in the slide, the car stops immediately. If you cram down the brakes as hard as you can, while the car is in the slide, the ABS kicks in and the car stops. It generally occurs when the car is cold, the idle RPM is high, and the tires/road are/is wet or snow packed. It does not happen all the time, has only occurred about 4-5 times in 2 years, and is difficult to duplicate and demonstrate to the dealer. It has only happened while attempting to come to a gradual stop at an intersection, or while slowly pulling into my garage. The dealer states that this is just a characteristic of a rear wheel drive vehicle, and that I need to apply more brake pressure. How much brake pressure do you need to apply while pulling your car into your garage, with a dry floor that is NOT painted, around 1MPH? This is my 4th rear wheel drive vehicle, and my 2001 GS 430 didn't have this problem and neither did the other 2 rear wheel drive vehicles. The dealer told me that the 2001 GS430 had a hydraulic brake system and that my 2007 GS350 has an electronic brake system. Is it a flaw that an electronic brake system allows the front wheels to completely lock up while the rear tires spin? Has anyone else experienced this, or is my 2007 GS350 the only one doing this?
Old 01-09-10, 06:26 AM
dwiall
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just posted about my brake system (You Have Got to Be Kidding). I experienced a similar thing a couple of times and it turned out to be that my boots were too big and I was pressing the brake and part of my boot was on the gas. Scared the **** out of me at the stop sign. The harder I pushed the brake the faste the car wanted to go, very scary whent there weere cars coming. just thought I would pass that on to you, who knows, you might be doing the same thing.
Old 01-09-10, 03:09 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also keep in mind that front brakes are like 80% stopping power while rear do very minor of braking. Also keep in mind that lexus stays at cold idle until its up to normal operating temperature. Its hard for ,e to get used to kt myself because idle stays at 1000 rmp which does require more force on brake pedal. Check if it does that when idle is normal? Also i have a friend who had a ls400 and he told me that's how lexus is. So u gonna have to get used to it. What i usually do coming to a light while the car is still warming up n high on idle i throw it in neutral position. If all above mentioned is not the cause check ure brake pads it also might be that u have air in ure braking system that prevents same force on every corner of brake
Old 01-09-10, 03:31 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
also keep in mind that front brakes are like 80% stopping power while rear do very minor of braking. Also keep in mind that lexus stays at cold idle until its up to normal operating temperature. Its hard for ,e to get used to kt myself because idle stays at 1000 rmp which does require more force on brake pedal. Check if it does that when idle is normal? Also i have a friend who had a ls400 and he told me that's how lexus is. So u gonna have to get used to it. What i usually do coming to a light while the car is still warming up n high on idle i throw it in neutral position. If all above mentioned is not the cause check ure brake pads it also might be that u have air in ure braking system that prevents same force on every corner of brake
Holy CRAP BATMAN!!! There is a FREE spell checker on this page when you post! Please use it! Now onto the OP's question. Yes this is normal for a Toyota vehicle to do, I have done MANY accident reconstructions that were based on this very same complaint. The problem is that the vehicle is on "high" idle in an attempt to warm the engine (more so the catalytic converters) faster. The problem is that the rear tires are over powering the breaking force available to the front tires and are thereby PUSHING the front tires. The only thing you can do to prevent this is allow the car to warm up so that the high idle has slowed to normal idle speed. Or shift to neutral, which is a real pain, but better than the alternative!
Old 01-09-10, 10:08 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ming15237
Holy CRAP BATMAN!!! There is a FREE spell checker on this page when you post! Please use it! Now onto the OP's question. Yes this is normal for a Toyota vehicle to do, I have done MANY accident reconstructions that were based on this very same complaint. The problem is that the vehicle is on "high" idle in an attempt to warm the engine (more so the catalytic converters) faster. The problem is that the rear tires are over powering the breaking force available to the front tires and are thereby PUSHING the front tires. The only thing you can do to prevent this is allow the car to warm up so that the high idle has slowed to normal idle speed. Or shift to neutral, which is a real pain, but better than the alternative!

I didn't even finish reading the first sentence.
Old 01-10-10, 04:50 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yang1815

I didn't even finish reading the first sentence.
I have (against my better judgment of course ) written some pretty awful pieces while under the influence of my friend "Tito's Handmade", but I can say, I have NEVER written anything with THAT many errors in it. When someone is asking for "advice" and one feels compelled to give it to them, it is best NOT to come across as the "Guy" the "Village" has been looking for since he went to the White House.
Old 01-11-10, 09:46 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Default I agree to the responses for the most part.

I can emulate the situation on slick roads using extremely light braking, but cannot say that I have been able to completely duplicate the situation. The few instances I have encountered have been a drastic change from the car's normal behavior. For example, I have pulled into the garage with completely snow packed tires, at a high idle RPM, without any problems at all. This problem seems to be very intermittent.

I will be shifting to neutral from now on (what a pain!), and agree that this is better than the alternative.

Thanks for the feedback so far!
Old 01-11-10, 02:44 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Still amazes me how people choose not to warm up their cars in freezing temperature. Just get in, start it, and go. Really?!
Old 01-11-10, 02:56 PM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Still amazes me how people choose not to warm up their cars in freezing temperature. Just get in, start it, and go. Really?!
Did I mention that I start it in drive so I can just go immediately? Why so negative, Yang? Gosh. Some peoples’ kids!

I let it warm up about 2 min before driving a whole 3 miles to and from work. It is not going to get completely warmed up in that scenario.
Old 02-08-10, 10:23 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

My issue is starting to sound a lot like what is going on with the Prius.
Old 02-08-10, 12:35 PM
kronlin
Driver School Candidate

Exact same problem reported in this thread.

http://my.is/forums/f126/my-is350-fu...l-stop-379326/

Is there any way we can raise this issue with Toyota?
Old 02-08-10, 02:15 PM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Default Please report your issue to Lexus

Originally Posted by kronlin
Exact same problem reported in this thread.

http://my.is/forums/f126/my-is350-fu...l-stop-379326/

Is there any way we can raise this issue with Toyota?
Vehicle or Dealership Experience: 1-800-255-3987 (Option 3)
Old 02-08-10, 02:43 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Everybody does this but me, I see people get into their BMW SUV in the parking garage and 1 second later are racing off full throttle through the garage even though it's five below.

I at least give it 60 seconds or so for things to get circulating and then take it easy until some heat starts registering on the dash. I don't think people realize that flooring it on a cold engine is doing any harm, their car is just like their DVD player... has an ON button and then it's ready for anything.
Old 02-08-10, 03:01 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by helpmeout1
Did I mention that I start it in drive so I can just go immediately? Why so negative, Yang? Gosh. Some peoples’ kids!

I let it warm up about 2 min before driving a whole 3 miles to and from work. It is not going to get completely warmed up in that scenario.
You need to time your warm up next time. A full two minutes will not give you high idle RPM.

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Everybody does this but me, I see people get into their BMW SUV in the parking garage and 1 second later are racing off full throttle through the garage even though it's five below.

I at least give it 60 seconds or so for things to get circulating and then take it easy until some heat starts registering on the dash. I don't think people realize that flooring it on a cold engine is doing any harm, their car is just like their DVD player... has an ON button and then it's ready for anything.
Me too.
Old 02-08-10, 03:19 PM
helpmeout1
Rookie

[QUOTE=Yang1815;5210181]You need to time your warm up next time. A full two minutes will not give you high idle RPM.

Why didn’t my 01 GS430 have this same problem? I am guessing it is because it had a hydraulic brake system that WORKED, and not some flawed electronic brake system that needs software updates to work correctly (just like a Blu-Ray player that takes several minutes to turn on, and always needs a software update to play the latest movie you just rented).

I do agree BinaryJay, and do not romp on the gas pedal until the car is fully warmed up.

It can take up to 5-10 minutes for my idle to drop to a consistent 1k or less.

Quick Reply: Front brakes lock up under light braking