GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS-F will arrive late 2011 as 2012 model (~500 HP)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-10, 03:28 AM
gs3rdgen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the idea of competeing against AMG and the ///M power Bimmers. I doubt it will look anything like the current pictures representing it.
Old 01-03-10, 07:18 AM
Lexzam
Driver

End of 2011 release, if true, could be 4GS. In which case it would represent new Lexus design philosophy, departing from the current GS and IS which are of the L-finesse family.
Old 01-03-10, 01:25 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm saving up for this one guys!
Old 01-03-10, 04:32 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is obvious you still haven't read or taken anytime to understand why the LFA engine is special. Until you have done so, it makes no sense to continue to argue with you (not even sure why I am responding).

4.8 liters and 552hp. Do the math.
Titanium usage
Small as a V-6
The sound of an angry god
low center of gravity
hand built
9000 RPM
I agree, the LFA engine is probably the best in the world. No other company has squeezed that much power out of such a small and light engine and normally aspirated too. It epitomizes Toyota's principle of lean and efficient powertrain, and this delivers superior performance in a sports car where weight is very very important. However, this technology is too expensive for a GS.

Its interesting where the latest technology is headed in the horsepower war. Infiniti is sticking with normally aspirated engines and adding liters, e.g. M56 delivers 420hp with a 5.6 V8. BMW, Audi and AMG have been going the turbo route with smaller engines. e.g. latest 550i delivers 400hp (reported, actual is probably 430hp) from a 4.4 V8 with twin turbo. In fact the entire BMW line-up that competes against the next GS is based on turbos - 535i with a 345hp turbo Inline six, 550i with a 400hp twinturbo 4.4 V8, and an M5 with a 550hp 4.4 twin turbo V8 (as used in X6M).

I would like to see Lexus go for turbos too. Smaller lighter more efficient turbo engines is more consistent with Lexus's engineering values. In addition reviews of the new M56 say it isn't fun to drive as the M37 because the V8 doesn't rev freely and the car is heavy. A smaller twin turbo V8 would certainly deliver better performance. I would like to see the GS460 replacement add twin-turbos to the direct injection 4.6 V8 in the LS460 which should tune it to around 450hp. That would be a fun car. GSF can do same to the ISF engine.

Has anyone read anything to suggest Lexus is exploring turbos?
Old 01-03-10, 06:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalan
I think lexus should follow in bmw's footsteps and make a forced induction v8 like the new m5 is suppose to be.
yup, i also struggle to see which one is better option. FI is "easier" and also better on emission, but NA is more reliable in general, and lexus has yet to have a FI car. would be interesting to see

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am not surprised to hear that the LFA engine will be used . Its funny to me that people think the engine in the LFA is that special. Its no more special than any other motor that produces the same type of power. Lexus needs to make up for some of the loss in producing the LFA. I know nothing is set in stone but we need to realize business is business and the LFA is fast but nothing that we havent seen before. Its just a V10 guys. They put them in the Viper ( with more power) and in the M5 for less than 100k.
it again shows just how much you don't really know about the engine. "it's just a v10"? that sounds like a very childish statement. do you actually read into the engine spec or you just don't understand the meaning of those spec? either way it only tells me one thing...

a v10 that's smaller than a v6, titanium component, 9000rpm, 550+hp. wait, find me a car under 100k with those in there? until you can find one, your argument is as weak as one can get

i am not saying lfa engine is the best, i never think so and i never said so. but for someone to say it's just a v10 and just drop it in the gs and make it 90k? yeah sure, i sure do hope that day comes

no (need) further reply on this
Old 01-03-10, 06:11 PM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

I love this pic , I hope it looks like that . I wish I could buy the parts for my car .
Old 01-03-10, 06:21 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heart FI.
Old 01-03-10, 07:48 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
it again shows just how much you don't really know about the engine. "it's just a v10"? that sounds like a very childish statement. do you actually read into the engine spec or you just don't understand the meaning of those spec? either way it only tells me one thing...

a v10 that's smaller than a v6, titanium component, 9000rpm, 550+hp. wait, find me a car under 100k with those in there? until you can find one, your argument is as weak as one can get
I agree. The LFA engine using titanium rods and valves, it is smaller in every dimension than the 3.5 V6 in the GS350, it is lighter than the 350 engine, yet it produces almost twice as much power. It would not be easy to directly adapt this engine without significantly driving up the cost.

I do think some elements of the technology in the LFA powertrain will make it into production cars. For instance the dry sump lubrication system, the advanced port-type fuel injection which outperforms a direct injection setup, the launch control system, and the TFT gauges.
Old 01-03-10, 07:53 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The more chatter there is the more likely this thing may really get built.
Old 01-03-10, 08:00 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I just hope they don't do what they did with the GS3 and launch a new car with old engines, and make us wait for new engines.
Old 01-03-10, 08:18 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I just hope they don't do what they did with the GS3 and launch a new car with old engines, and make us wait for new engines.
the gs300 engine was new for the 3GS, 430 was carryover. The gs300 engine is still used worldwide for the gs300 as well as is300s. Ohhh who gives a crap though

Last edited by EyeKutr; 01-03-10 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-03-10, 10:55 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to see the next gen. GS come with a couple of very powerful V8 engines. Maybe a 390 hp version of the 4.6 for the 460 model as well as a turbo charged version of the 4.6 V8 producing somewhere around 560 hp for the GS-F. No V10's for me.
Old 01-03-10, 11:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by batman75
I do think some elements of the technology in the LFA powertrain will make it into production cars. For instance the dry sump lubrication system, the advanced port-type fuel injection which outperforms a direct injection setup, the launch control system, and the TFT gauges.
ding ding ding, i completely completely agree with this. the idea of the lfa is for lexus to invest / understand / develop / research / explore different technologies on performance vehicles and hope to bring those to the table in their future cars, performance or not. just like all the in-house carbon fiber building, weight distribution, and a lot of the items you mentioned.

those, in the future, could prove to be "cost effectively" rather than kicking off a different research project on an item every time. if they build the gsf, and it's able to take advantage of some of the technologies in the lfa, that's already great news imho
Old 01-04-10, 07:32 AM
Lexzam
Driver

Aristo V300 Twin turbo! Why not under Lexus brand as well? Reliability is a cornerstone for Lexus reputation. Could it be that Lexus finds FI too risky?

It was not too long ago that BMW pledged not to use turbos saying that it is just a cheap and easy way to cut corners in product development to get more power. BMW has since introduced some of the finest (twin) turbo engines such as the one in 335 and 535....
Old 01-04-10, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Lexzam
Aristo V300 Twin turbo! Why not under Lexus brand as well? Reliability is a cornerstone for Lexus reputation. Could it be that Lexus finds FI too risky?

It was not too long ago that BMW pledged not to use turbos saying that it is just a cheap and easy way to cut corners in product development to get more power. BMW has since introduced some of the finest (twin) turbo engines such as the one in 335 and 535....
as some people mentioned, noise is another problem on FI cars under lexus badge

Quick Reply: GS-F will arrive late 2011 as 2012 model (~500 HP)