GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Centric PosiQuiet Brakes and Rotors! I loves them!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 06:10 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Centric PosiQuiet Brakes and Rotors! I loves them!!!

I drive a 2006 GS430 and about 5,000 miles ago, I needed new brakes and rotors.

My Lexus dealership wanted a little over 2k for OEM brakes and rotors, but I decided to go to my friend's shop - he's a mechanic.

He recommended Centric's PosiQuiet brakes over the Lexus OEM brakes I had:

I've had 3 problems with Lexus' OEM brakes:

1.) Noise - Randomly happens, maybe due to cold weather? Not sure, but when braking, sometimes the noise would be piercing - SQUEEAAAAAAAAAK. People crossing the street infront of my screeching car would be running across in terror. Took it to my dealership who fixed some calipers, but it still happened. Service manager just told me that's how it is. Will just have to get used to them or get different brakes.

2.) Tension - Whenever I brake with Lexus brakes, just a slight tap would immediately brake the car. I had to change my braking habit when driving the Lexus. Be very very brake aware.

3.) Brake Dust - Chrome wheels. Wash the car one day, the wheels would be blackened by brake dust in a couple of days after. Not happy with that.

I decided to go with my friend's shop, and I noticed a change immediately. After 5k miles, the changes are indeed real. I think I'm sticking to these Centric PosiQuiet brakes from now on:

1.) The cost for brakes, rotors, and service from my friend's shop was less than 1/2 of Lexus' service charges. Around $800 total. I sat around the shop and watched and talked with him and saw how good of a service my friend provides (it really pays off to have a mechanic as a friend).

2.) Noise - No more brake noise. Doesn't matter about the time of day or weather. NO MORE NOISE!!!

3.) Tension - No more famous Lexus tension. It brakes like any other car now. I think that the old brakes could be traffic hazards for anyone not used to those aggressive OEM brakes.

4.) Brake Dust - barely any. If I were to drive 2 weeks and not wash, the chrome wheels would still be pretty reflective. This is a very big plus that I didn't expect. Didn't realize how dirty the OEM brakes really were until after I changed them out.

I usually go OEM on most parts. Like sensors and valves and things related to the engine and drive train, but I'm keeping the brakes and rotors Centric from now on unless I come across a better brand.

Also, my friend does a good portion of my car maintenance for me now. $70 for an oil change for FULL SYNTHETIC Mobile One Extended Performance oil + filter (also Mobile One Extended), as opposed to my dealership that wants $70 for REGULAR oil or $200 for regular Mobile One synthetic oil + Toyota brand oil filter. If I paid my friend $20 more, I could have gotten Royal Purple oil.

Last edited by dadoody; 02-22-10 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 06:56 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

I was looking at replacement pads and rotors and saw the Centrics on TireRack.. Glad they are working for you..
Old 12-29-09, 02:36 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using the PosiQuiet pads on my car as well on the recommendation of people here on CL.

I was using the OEM Lexus brakepads (the ones that are really dusty but with excellent stopping power). The PosiQuiets don't bite as much and they always make a noise whenever I release the brake pedal completely. However, they hardly produce dust (the dust it produces is kind of a grey colour) and the performance of the pads are almost as good as the OEM pads.

I am satisfied with these pads. I'd recommend them to others as well. I really wanted to try Endless M-Sport but not for the price they command...
Old 12-29-09, 02:49 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im getting ready to put oem sized cross drilled and slotted rotors with hawk ceramic pads. I got all four for under $500 and plan on installing myself i hear thet the ceramic pads my squeak hopefully not however they won t create as much brake dust Ill keep cl posted on how they turn out
Old 12-29-09, 05:07 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

i'm all about OEM stuff, but my brakes started to squeal after 15k miles.. this sucks. i'll consider them as my next alternative, thx for sharing.
Old 12-29-09, 07:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
Im getting ready to put oem sized cross drilled and slotted rotors with hawk ceramic pads. I got all four for under $500 and plan on installing myself i hear thet the ceramic pads my squeak hopefully not however they won t create as much brake dust Ill keep cl posted on how they turn out
is it a kit you bought or is it random stuff from e bay???? Let us know because I think there are many of us who are so sick of the break noise
Old 12-29-09, 07:25 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
is it a kit you bought or is it random stuff from e bay???? Let us know because I think there are many of us who are so sick of the break nohttp://brakeperformance.com/site/brake_rotors.php?vtype=1&vmake=115459&vmodel=115704&vyear=115770&vdetail=115771&cPath=1_115459_115704_115770_115771_115774&dv=100509&ad=directise
Here is where i found my rotors I like the way they look made just like most other rotors and a lifetime warranty against manufacter defects, and warping for cheaper then anything i could find, im planning on getting the black slotted and cross drilled. I ordered Hawk ceramic pads because they hold up better in high heat and won t create as much brake dust. like I said hopefully this will be a in expensive way to enhance my brake performance. I will post an update as soon as i get them on in the next couple of weeks along with pics! http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...0509&ad=direct

Last edited by lkapimp216; 12-29-09 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 09:23 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Im so sick of these brake issues too. Wheels are black after 2 days.
Old 01-05-10, 04:12 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for PosiQuiet
Old 01-06-10, 06:04 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

What about the PosiQuiet with stock pads? I'm thinking of doing this as replacements for the ES.. I think tiretrack sales them to..
Old 01-06-10, 06:08 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus can learn a few things from aftermarket companies when it comes to brake pad design.
Old 02-22-10, 04:38 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Just wanted to remind people how much I love these brakes. 4k miles since brake job and I still love them compared to the squeaky/dirty OEM ones I used to have.
Old 02-22-10, 07:02 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Here is where i found my rotors I like the way they look made just like most other rotors and a lifetime warranty against manufacter defects, and warping for cheaper then anything i could find, im planning on getting the black slotted and cross drilled. I ordered Hawk ceramic pads because they hold up better in high heat and won t create as much brake dust. like I said hopefully this will be a in expensive way to enhance my brake performance. I will post an update as soon as i get them on in the next couple of weeks along with pics! http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...0509&ad=direct
I just put these on my car as well, to correct a noticeable shimmy while stopping using the OEM pads/rotors. Dealer claimed nothing wrong so I went out on my own... surprisingly, the problem is now worse.

Did you have to turn/resurface these new rotors before you put them on? Dealer is telling me my replacement pads/rotors are causing the problem, even though I complained about it for 3 mos before I put them on...
Old 02-22-10, 09:38 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I had not such a good experience with hawk ceramics on my Acura Legend, I didn't have slotted/cross drilled, but they were dusty as ****... and they were bronze colored too! ROFL, after about 1-2 weeks of driving my wheels looked copper, like i was ridin pennies... that's just my opinion though, let us all know how your setup turns out! i'm looking, or trying to, look for a good alternative...some how.... so far i still feel as if OEM is safest bet to me...

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lexus can learn a few things from aftermarket companies when it comes to brake pad design.
lol.... they did spend a lot of money researching their braking systems... the problem was that they idn't wanna meet halfway... they wanted one or the other... noisy no dust, or dusty no noise....

IMO, i personally like how the lexus brakes bite, you think they're bad? try the honda odyssey brakes... those things nearly fly me out the window everytime i take my first drive in'em hahahaha
Old 08-21-10, 10:11 AM
maficrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus OEM Brakes

Was reading your post as I also have an 2006 GS430 with similar braking problems that you had. Was curious how the Centric's brakes have been working for you? My car drives great, it's just the uneasy feeling of having to stop suddenly and the tension in the braking that you also described. I also experience the same problem with the brake dust on the front wheels. Would also be nice to alleviate this problem as well. Thanks

Originally Posted by dadoody
I drive a 2006 GS430 and about 5,000 miles ago, I needed new brakes and rotors.

My Lexus dealership wanted a little over 2k for OEM brakes and rotors, but I decided to go to my friend's shop - he's a mechanic.

He recommended Centric's PosiQuiet brakes over the Lexus OEM brakes I had:

I've had 3 problems with Lexus' OEM brakes:

1.) Noise - Randomly happens, maybe due to cold weather? Not sure, but when braking, sometimes the noise would be piercing - SQUEEAAAAAAAAAK. People crossing the street infront of my screeching car would be running across in terror. Took it to my dealership who fixed some calipers, but it still happened. Service manager just told me that's how it is. Will just have to get used to them or get different brakes.

2.) Tension - Whenever I brake with Lexus brakes, just a slight tap would immediately brake the car. I had to change my braking habit when driving the Lexus. Be very very brake aware.

3.) Brake Dust - Chrome wheels. Wash the car one day, the wheels would be blackened by brake dust in a couple of days after. Not happy with that.

I decided to go with my friend's shop, and I noticed a change immediately. After 5k miles, the changes are indeed real. I think I'm sticking to these Centric PosiQuiet brakes from now on:

1.) The cost for brakes, rotors, and service from my friend's shop was less than 1/2 of Lexus' service charges. Around $800 total. I sat around the shop and watched and talked with him and saw how good of a service my friend provides (it really pays off to have a mechanic as a friend).

2.) Noise - No more brake noise. Doesn't matter about the time of day or weather. NO MORE NOISE!!!

3.) Tension - No more famous Lexus tension. It brakes like any other car now. I think that the old brakes could be traffic hazards for anyone not used to those aggressive OEM brakes.

4.) Brake Dust - barely any. If I were to drive 2 weeks and not wash, the chrome wheels would still be pretty reflective. This is a very big plus that I didn't expect. Didn't realize how dirty the OEM brakes really were until after I changed them out.

I usually go OEM on most parts. Like sensors and valves and things related to the engine and drive train, but I'm keeping the brakes and rotors Centric from now on unless I come across a better brand.

Also, my friend does a good portion of my car maintenance for me now. $70 for an oil change for FULL SYNTHETIC Mobile One Extended Performance oil + filter (also Mobile One Extended), as opposed to my dealership that wants $70 for REGULAR oil or $200 for regular Mobile One synthetic oil + Toyota brand oil filter. If I paid my friend $20 more, I could have gotten Royal Purple oil.

Quick Reply: Centric PosiQuiet Brakes and Rotors! I loves them!!!