GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

SUPER EPIC FAIL, for CPO Lexus..what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-09, 01:38 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Are we buying a car or investigating a terrorist ?
For the money he spent, if he's being given the run around, I would waterboard the sales staff
Old 12-31-09, 02:35 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just ran into a similar issue with my GS300 from Crown in Ontario.

I bought it 5 months ago, it seemed clean, and was CPO, but when it started to rain hard here 2 weeks back there was a small drip inside the trunk.. I took it to a mechanic and he took the trunk lining out to show me that it had been rear ended and they spot welded the quarter panel, not seamed it like they did at the factory.. he said there is your leak... I was so pissed I could not see straight.. my understanding was that Lexus could not sell a CPO that had been damaged... not true, as I dove into the details, they can, if its not reported on CarFax.. which is a total joke btw... the previous owner obviously had just not reported it and paid to have it fixed and traded it in. Crown bought it from an auction and it was obviously overlooked and resold as CPO.

When I called them, they were very accommodating, met me at the dealership the same day and went over the car.. yup.. they had missed it, and they asked what I needed to make it right.. excellent service! I said take it back and apply the money towards an LS, I dont want a GS anymore. They offered me an excellent deal on an LS 460 (CPO) and I paid the difference, they provided me with the next major service, a full detail and I just asked to have my glove box fixed, as it rattles, they said that is not really covered under CPO, as its trim, but sense there is a TSB for it, they would be happy to replace it on them.

I cant complain, Crown treated me with respect and said yes to everything I asked for, they were very professional all the way through. In my situation it allowed me to step up into an LS460 but I wanted to share some of my experience with you all. Some of the folks here are right, dont trust CarFax, I wont any more, and the dealer has a lot to do with your Lexus experience. I would get another CPO in a heartbeat from Crown, they stand behind their vehicles, at least that has been my experience, I hope you get yours resolved as well.

CMasten
Old 12-31-09, 05:04 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmasten
I just ran into a similar issue with my GS300 from Crown in Ontario.

I bought it 5 months ago, it seemed clean, and was CPO, but when it started to rain hard here 2 weeks back there was a small drip inside the trunk.. I took it to a mechanic and he took the trunk lining out to show me that it had been rear ended and they spot welded the quarter panel, not seamed it like they did at the factory.. he said there is your leak... I was so pissed I could not see straight.. my understanding was that Lexus could not sell a CPO that had been damaged... not true, as I dove into the details, they can, if its not reported on CarFax.. which is a total joke btw... the previous owner obviously had just not reported it and paid to have it fixed and traded it in. Crown bought it from an auction and it was obviously overlooked and resold as CPO.

When I called them, they were very accommodating, met me at the dealership the same day and went over the car.. yup.. they had missed it, and they asked what I needed to make it right.. excellent service! I said take it back and apply the money towards an LS, I dont want a GS anymore. They offered me an excellent deal on an LS 460 (CPO) and I paid the difference, they provided me with the next major service, a full detail and I just asked to have my glove box fixed, as it rattles, they said that is not really covered under CPO, as its trim, but sense there is a TSB for it, they would be happy to replace it on them.

I cant complain, Crown treated me with respect and said yes to everything I asked for, they were very professional all the way through. In my situation it allowed me to step up into an LS460 but I wanted to share some of my experience with you all. Some of the folks here are right, dont trust CarFax, I wont any more, and the dealer has a lot to do with your Lexus experience. I would get another CPO in a heartbeat from Crown, they stand behind their vehicles, at least that has been my experience, I hope you get yours resolved as well.

CMasten

This is exactly what I would expect from a Lexus dealership. Good for Crown for doing that. I have a 100% confidence my own Lexus dealership would do the same.

Chris's experience with Tustin Lexus is just appalling. They should do what Crown did, or they are a blemish on the Lexus franchise and Lexus should reign them in or defranchise them.

If I was Lexus CEO, I would begin defranchising dealers like this. It's the last thing they need since their brand is all about superior service, quality and trust.
Old 01-04-10, 07:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

cmasten, of course they will treat you right if you are going to spend more money.
Old 01-04-10, 08:38 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

cmasten, of course they will treat you right if you are going to spend more money.
true but they didnt have to take the GS back as well either which i assume is gonna be a hard car for them to sell.
Old 01-04-10, 11:30 AM
spine911
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL..i agree, any type of "upgrade" especially to a MORE expensive model is advantageous to the dealer. They will be more than happy to take the car back, it is essentially a new sale with a "new" trade-in (then, they will either sell the old "CPO" car to either an auction, or resell as another pre-owned car.). In this scenario, the dealer actually profitted on BOTH sales!

Let's see if they can put you in another car with the same model,year, miles, price--i don't think they will easily go for an even exchange.

Last edited by spine911; 01-04-10 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-04-10, 01:10 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Chances are, they will just fix the problem and sell it to the next sucker, I mean customer
Old 01-04-10, 01:58 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Well, looks like BMW guys having the same issue:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261517
Old 01-04-10, 04:21 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Chris - have they agreed to take your car back at the price you paid, and sell you another GS in its place?
Old 01-04-10, 05:32 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

hey guys, alot of good information here. Hopefully it will go in my favor. I'm not going to get the car back from the body shop until probably end of this week. After I receive it back I'll be driving to the lexus dealer that same day or the next day. Hopefully all goes well, I will definetly give you guys an update. I'm just wondering if anyone has experiences in this, I checked there stock and they only have 1 gs350 CPO. I was wondering, if I wanted another car, would they get me a new car and wait or would I have to settle with what they have in stock? Thanks guys

chris
Old 01-04-10, 06:37 PM
HomieG
Driver

Whatever you do with them, get it in writing!

Are you having the new damage fixed before bringing it back?
Old 01-04-10, 08:53 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ItsChris
hey guys, alot of good information here. Hopefully it will go in my favor. I'm not going to get the car back from the body shop until probably end of this week. After I receive it back I'll be driving to the lexus dealer that same day or the next day. Hopefully all goes well, I will definetly give you guys an update. I'm just wondering if anyone has experiences in this, I checked there stock and they only have 1 gs350 CPO. I was wondering, if I wanted another car, would they get me a new car and wait or would I have to settle with what they have in stock? Thanks guys

chris
I think your first negotiating position is that they should give you the newer GS350 CPO assuming its clean. It may be worth more, but they ought to make up for the hassle they put you through.

Your second negotiating position should be a refund, and you can take your money to whoever has a comparably priced clean 06 CPO

Your third position, should be they find you a comparable clean car in a colour you like and swap it.
Old 01-04-10, 10:11 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Yeah I'm not sure why you're even bothering to get it fixed man....

You see the crumple zone damage and that's pretty bad. For an impact like that, there could be damage in other parts of the frame, but it'd have to be thoroughly inspected.

The way I see it, this Lexus owes you. You paid for the CPO piece of mind. You pay out the **** for CPO piece of mind as well.
Old 01-05-10, 06:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItsChris

chris
I would not have gotten it fix, its not your problem, its theirs.

If you want another GS, I would imagine you would have to take one from their stock. I dont think they will give you a new car, thats too much to ask for.

I assume you title the car already, this is going to cost the dealer a lot of money if they take your car back. It will be very hard sell.
Old 01-05-10, 09:16 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

hey guys, i'm not getting the car fixed at all. I was in a parking structure and some person did a slight dent on the rear quarter panel and the bumper. That' why it's in the body shop right now being fixed.

My insurance company, clearly stated when they say the previous damage and rust that, it was not there from me. So pretty much got the lexus dealership right there from the insurance.

But when I bought the car, like I said, the rear bumper didnt align at the driver side rear quarter panel, and thats where the person hit me in the parking lot.

So, I guess it was a good thing, that the guy hit me in the parking lot or else I wouldnt have found out about the previous damage.

Quick Reply: SUPER EPIC FAIL, for CPO Lexus..what do I do?