GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Clunk sound is normal? Are you kidding me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-09, 11:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GS07Cali
I have only had my 3GS '07 for less than a month and have heard the CLUNK in the morning after backing down my driveway and shifting to D. Just feels like a cold transmission. Ive seen other U.S. cars do it. Just figured its another little noise that I have to get used to with this car. If there were real tans issues there would be more problems at other times I am driving it. At first I thought it had to do with the braking as well. But the CLUNK comes from the rear so it has to be the trans.
I kind of figured the same thing. Its normal and hasn't bothered me. its going to make some kind of noise when you shift isn't it??
Old 11-27-09, 08:10 AM
bryanc182
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
i have the same somewhat clunk issue, it's because the car's @ high idle and i didn't give it time to warm up yet, so the shift from P to R to D is rough, but as the car warms up everything's okay =]
My GS has the same issue. I have taken it to two different Lexus dealers and had their service department look at it...several times...left it over night too. They told me the same thing as quoted above....it's a cold tranny. But i had both lexus' document the issue in their system so they know thai i've brought it to their attention and made sure they documented their findings as well. My car is no longer under warranty, so if anything goes wrong, i'm not payin for it!!!!
Old 01-20-10, 10:19 PM
derricklee
Driver

My car has exactly same problem. i though i am the only one who has this problem......it seems like this is another problem couldn't be fixed. I sold my 02 GS430. because of the famouse steering vibration. now when i switch to 06 GS300 RWD. then another problem comes out...... don't want to sell this baby. has anybody figure this out. what happen to the car.
Old 01-20-10, 10:32 PM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you coming to a complete stop after reversing before you put it into drive? If you're having this clunk after going in reverse to drive, I have that too and think its pretty normal especially on cold start. As long as it isnt clunking through gears, its not that big of a deal.
Old 01-21-10, 04:08 PM
derricklee
Driver

Originally Posted by Amalan
are you coming to a complete stop after reversing before you put it into drive? If you're having this clunk after going in reverse to drive, I have that too and think its pretty normal especially on cold start. As long as it isnt clunking through gears, its not that big of a deal.
yes, that is what i am talking about. it happens when you completely stop. no matter how hard you step on the brake. you can still hear that clucking noise. But not just on cold start. It happens any time even if you drive it for a few hours.
Old 01-21-10, 04:12 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by derricklee
yes, that is what i am talking about. it happens when you completely stop. no matter how hard you step on the brake. you can still hear that clucking noise. But not just on cold start. It happens any time even if you drive it for a few hours.
I've never had this happen, if that's worth anything.

The only annoying this I've ever had is some annoying vibes when in drive and brakes applied but even as it's gotten colder they seem to be hardly noticeable anymore even when it's idling high.
Old 03-20-14, 07:27 PM
lexuz125th
Driver

Hey guys my GS300 AWD is Clunking!!! Right rear its not when I put it in P or D or R it happens as soon as you drive off and disappears right after. You could put it in D and as soon as you drive of it sounds like Cluk Cluk greeekalak. No warranty on the car so I am just going to have to figure this one out with your input and trouble shooting
Old 03-24-14, 04:43 PM
iLub3GS
Rookie

I have this on my 3GS. I thought it was normal...
Old 03-24-14, 10:20 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuz125th
Hey guys my GS300 AWD is Clunking!!! Right rear its not when I put it in P or D or R it happens as soon as you drive off and disappears right after. You could put it in D and as soon as you drive of it sounds like Cluk Cluk greeekalak. No warranty on the car so I am just going to have to figure this one out with your input and trouble shooting
My old 86' Nissan 200sx turbo did this exact same thing, ONLY when put into gear and let the clutch go....

I sold it to my friend, and we both thought it was normal until the car went under inspection. Turns out the driveshaft was literally falling apart. Have a shop check it out and let us know!

Like I said though, it's because of the TQ of my car, and the car shifting into 1st gear from 1000+ RPM, making it more clunky than usual.

GL!
Old 03-25-14, 10:54 PM
kenv
Rookie

Default clunk

I started asking questions over a year ago about this on the site, and received no input. After having the Lexus Master tech involved; who is a very hands on no bs individual. He actually took my car home overnight to experience the clunk. He then drove two other GS's (2010, 2009) that were on the used car lot and they did not have the clunk. The difference between those two cars and mine: they had new rotors, brake pads, shim kits installed during refurbish before put on the lot.

My car had a problem when the rotor runout was measured. I installed new rotors, pads, etc. and guess what only have the problem when the car has been sitting for several days and weather is cold. It is NOT your transmission, but please have it checked to bring you peace of mind.

I have owned Mercedes, Audi, BMW and my 08 Lexus GS 350 is the most reliable car I have owned with the fewest demons. Hope this helps..
Old 11-09-14, 05:30 AM
phat32
Driver School Candidate

Default same issue

so is this a common thing for our gs's? ive done alot of research and noone has come up with a solution as of yet. i have this issue on my 06 GS 300 AWD 94k miles stock suspension and this morning i've decided to look into it again after hearing the noise. the first time i looked into it kinda chalked it up as a cold start or cold tranny but i cant do that anymore.

the car was cold this morning on my way into work, its about 45 degrees here in the dc area. when i shifted the car in drive no clunk but as soon as the car started going forward i heard the clunk only once. my job is about 30 minutes away mosltly highway miles. when i pull into the garage to park, same thing i pull forward and stop place the car in R no clunk. as soon as the car starts to reverse a loun clunk very similar to the one i heard when i pulled off this morning. by this time the car should be warm to include the tranny and suspension. im starting to think its a wheel bearing or axel. suggestions??? ultimately im going to take it to the dealer to get checked but i wanted to know if anyone had this problem and had it fixed.

FYI- brakes and pads are only about a year old so i know its not the brakes... thanks guys
Old 11-10-14, 02:46 PM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

This might be a dumb question, but do your rear brakes have the shim kits on ? I had a local shop install my rear pads and they threw away my old shim kits and installed my breaks without it, causing the "Clunk" noise to happen when the pads are shifting around.
Old 11-11-14, 04:16 AM
phat32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ReyRey305
This might be a dumb question, but do your rear brakes have the shim kits on ? I had a local shop install my rear pads and they threw away my old shim kits and installed my breaks without it, causing the "Clunk" noise to happen when the pads are shifting around.
Shim kits are the little pieces of metal that's between the brake pads and caliper? If so no I don't have the shims they wouldn't fit in my new aKebono pads. They new pads were too thick. Do you really think that's it?
Old 11-11-14, 07:19 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so I tried reversing before the car warms up and I think I know what clunk your talking about. Next time wait till the car warms up for a few seconds and then press Hard on brake when you put in reverse. It should alleviate the clunk sound a bit
Old 11-11-14, 09:37 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

It's amazing what a dealer will tell you what's considered "normal" when it's under warranty. Porsche told my girlfriend that it's "normal" that her Cayenne will suddenly shift from 3rd to 1st while going up a slight incline, bringing the car to 5,000+ RPM

Quick Reply: Clunk sound is normal? Are you kidding me?