GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Camry vs. GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 09:59 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
FWD has better traction in the rain and snow. Of course if you drive your car in a race track doing 200 MPH, then RWD is better for handling.
I think the notion that rwd isn't good in the rain isn't true. Car and Driver did a very interesting test of the M3 vs. the Audi S4 in the rain a few years ago. The M3 was faster in the dry, but its margin of speed advantage was even greater in the rain. The S4 is four wheel drive.

My takeaway from that was that the traction benefit (try accelerating in rain in fwd vs rwd), plus the superior balance of well-engineered car, and modern traction systems, can make a good rwd car very good in the rain. In this case the rain gave rwd an advantage. Likewise I'm certain my GS would run circles around a Camry in the rain. Because it has better tires, better weight distribution, and more neutral handling.
Old 09-26-09, 05:23 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Guys relax it was a question and he asked nicely. We cannot assume everyone knows the differences between the two.

As one on multiple forums (and I browse more than post b/c of the asshattery) you would be surprised that people think
LS-Camry
GS-Camry
GS-Avalon
HS-Corolla
IS-Corolla

etc etc......
Wow... The LS-Camry and IS-Corolla are just

Originally Posted by arnieosp
I bought new 2 Lexuses in the last 18 months, RX350 AWD for my wife and GS350 AWD for me, spent over $80K on both cars. I could have saved at least $25K by buying Highlander and Camry, or Avalon. I chose a Lexus for 2 reasons:

1. I WANTED
2. I COULD

I think those are the same 2 reasons that some people are buying Ferraris over Corvettes, and Rolls Royces over Cadillacs.
Probably for some I would hope not most.

So you don't really care about the actual difference between the vehicles?

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I am going to paraphrase the original question.....from post one....

Hey all.

I was just curious as to what made you all choose the big boobed blonde ver a brunette with a mustache. I choose a brunette since its i guess a blonde after many beers if you will LOL> Anyways i also like brunettes without the mustaches, but have always loved the blonde, and a big boobed blonde is just pure sexy to me.
Old 09-26-09, 11:35 AM
dpgc562
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol this is a funny question. I never thought someone would compare a Camry to a GS. Camry interior sucks even if it's an XLE fully loaded V6, the interior looks cheap period. I gotta admit the exterior looks good though. GS has better handling, looks, etc.
Old 09-26-09, 09:52 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can afford more expensive cars, then go for it. I guess we compensate ourselves when we can't get what we want to what's close to what we want. It's really a simple process of the mind.
That's why there are so many different markets for all types of people.
Essentially, you get what you paid for!!!
Old 09-26-09, 10:44 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota vs. lexus >> regular vs. premium >> $$$
front wheel frive vs. rear wheel drive
boring family sedan vs. sporty(ier) family sedan
Old 09-26-09, 11:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

You always get what you pay for. People in Toyotas look at us like we are the ones who had to spend the money and themselves being the wise and educated consumer. In the end they all want to drive a Lexus. Lexus shared DNA with Toyota sells more Toyotas. The salesmen always tell you ... hey man , its a Lexus with a Toyota badge and a cheaper sticker price. Thats BS and we all know it ( me , you, the consumer, the salesman, and Toyota)
Old 09-27-09, 08:42 AM
Lexzam
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
FWD has better traction in the rain and snow. Of course if you drive your car in a race track doing 200 MPH, then RWD is better for handling.
Originally Posted by batman75
I think the notion that rwd isn't good in the rain isn't true. Car and Driver did a very interesting test of the M3 vs. the Audi S4 in the rain a few years ago. The M3 was faster in the dry, but its margin of speed advantage was even greater in the rain. The S4 is four wheel drive.

My takeaway from that was that the traction benefit (try accelerating in rain in fwd vs rwd), plus the superior balance of well-engineered car, and modern traction systems, can make a good rwd car very good in the rain. In this case the rain gave rwd an advantage. Likewise I'm certain my GS would run circles around a Camry in the rain. Because it has better tires, better weight distribution, and more neutral handling.
Now that's an interesting topic: "RWD vs. FWD", though maybe a bit off the original post...

FWD: Cheaper to manufacture, more compact, easier to drive in snow and gravel, torque steering/ understeering when accelerating hard through a corner (front wheels need to do two jobs: steer and pull), no cardan tunnel taking space between rear passengers.

RWD: Better weight distribution/ balance which normally translates to better cornering, acceleration (with same power) and breaking, smaller turning circle.

...the differences have been somewhat narrowed down in the last 10 years or so. Generally neither FWD or RWD is that bad anymore as what comes to their weaker spots.
Old 09-27-09, 09:16 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't compare a GS and a Camry. Its not the same class or even the same chassis.
Old 09-27-09, 02:42 PM
SupraLX570
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems like lexus owners get insulted by the lexus and toyota comparison. the fact that lexus is toyota should not mean that you can start comparing them as if they were equal.
If you go with BMW, MB, and Audi you won't have that problem.
Old 09-27-09, 05:55 PM
JasonGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SupraLX570
seems like lexus owners get insulted by the lexus and toyota comparison. the fact that lexus is toyota should not mean that you can start comparing them as if they were equal.
If you go with BMW, MB, and Audi you won't have that problem.
Audi and VW are just like Toyota and Lexus but the other two are indy. I don't think people mind the comparision as long as people don't say things like "they are basically the same one just cost more" I don't think Lexus would have lasted as long as it has if they were the same as Toyota just more expensive.

The thing I love about the Toyota and Lexus relationship is the reliability of the Toyota drivetrain engineering. This is the Same reason I also buy Infiniti both Lexus and Infiniti provide top notch tech, comfort, and luxury with out all the trips to the dealership Euro luxury usually require. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by JasonGS; 09-27-09 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-27-09, 07:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have to say that I also hate the fact that the streets and highways are washed in Toyota Camry's. Like the Accord, they are played out . I like to feel like I am driving something special, and I dont think a Camry with a set of 20's and the lame aero kit they come with will cut it with my taste
Old 09-27-09, 11:03 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Hmm........I do not think that GS and Camary are on the same level.....not at all....
Old 09-28-09, 02:41 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 09-29-09, 07:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

What do you guys think, should I buy a LS or a Corolla?
Old 09-29-09, 09:36 AM
LexFather

Clearly I didn't post in here and issue a warning....closed