GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS300 Sirius Satellite Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09, 09:59 PM
xhoser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GS300 Sirius Satellite Install

I have read through almost 250 posts related to satellite radio so I apologize if I missed something but I am a new owner (5 days now) of a white 2006 GS300 with 18-inch factory 5-spoke wheels (NAV no ML). I want to install Sirius satellite radio and I've read and heard conflicting reports on the install.

Some posts say that it is relatively easy working from the trunk to do the install and is a DIY project.

I am pretty sure you have to get at the head unit (meaning pulling the dash apart) to do this which I am not comfortable with.

I hate the idea of the black puck antenna on my white car so is it possible to mount inside rear deck or front dash and still get good reception (I've seen varied responses).

Can I have a sharkfin installed and use it as the antenna on a 2006 model?

Dealer wants $895 to supply and install parts which seems really high. (they claim they have to rip the car apart, back seats etc.

Dealer also warned me if I do it aftermarket (I was originally going to take it to Best Buy) any dash squeaks will not be covered by warranty due to third party tampering with vehicle. I just bought the Sirius SC-C1 tuner and TOY-SC1 translator online as suggested by the Best Buy rep. I see everyone here talking about VAIS translator so should I return the TOY-SC1?

I would really appreciate a consolidated response here from people who have been through this experience and can give me solid advice.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

Last edited by xhoser; 09-02-09 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-02-09, 10:13 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the car comes XM-ready.
Not really ready but if you have the module you can plug and play it by installing it inside the trunk. Forgot where, but there's a how-to on this forum.

And the sharkfin is going to cost a lot if you want it to be used as an antenna.
Old 09-03-09, 06:46 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i installed it on my is250 when i had it myself. yes you have to take the center console off, the glove compartment, and door sills on the passenger side to run the wire underneath them and also take off part of the backseat on the passenger side to run the wire to the truck. my is250 had a sharkfin antenna though. i dont know how it is without one sorry.
Old 09-03-09, 08:26 PM
yogregb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bumping this up, as I too have an 06 that I want to install xm sat radio unit. Can some one post a link to a DIY on this, please don't flame me for the no search
Old 09-03-09, 08:47 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

There is some confusion about sirius here.....factory sirius unit goes in the trunk and its funky antenna mounts on the upper part of the windshield, or inside of the back window or trunk. You can find whatever antenna you wish to use and mount it wherever. Now aftermarket sirius units interface the factory radio near the dash so whatever you get youll have to tear out the nav unit and get it installed. There is a DIY for pulling the dash apart look at the nav bypass thread up top of the 3gs forum
Old 09-08-09, 08:51 PM
xhoser
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
There is some confusion about sirius here.....factory sirius unit goes in the trunk and its funky antenna mounts on the upper part of the windshield, or inside of the back window or trunk. You can find whatever antenna you wish to use and mount it wherever. Now aftermarket sirius units interface the factory radio near the dash so whatever you get youll have to tear out the nav unit and get it installed. There is a DIY for pulling the dash apart look at the nav bypass thread up top of the 3gs forum
I read in another post that you can use the XM antenna with the Sirius tuner and mount the antenna in the back window like most XM installs. Can anyone else verify that this is a possible option? I want to use Sirius but hate the idea of having the black antenna on the outside of my car. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-09, 10:57 PM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ill post pics of a radio removal IF!!!!! a mod will sticky it on the front page on the 3G forum, so many people ask the same question so ill do my best to do a full picture write up.

I put my xm antenna center on my trunk lid it doesnt look so bad
Old 09-09-09, 06:24 AM
xhoser
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by -the.k.w.c
Ill post pics of a radio removal IF!!!!! a mod will sticky it on the front page on the 3G forum, so many people ask the same question so ill do my best to do a full picture write up.

I put my xm antenna center on my trunk lid it doesnt look so bad
Thanks kwc that would be great. The installer I talked to offered me placement of my sirius antenna either center of trunk lid as yours is or just above the center of the windshield.
Old 09-09-09, 11:45 AM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

I had mine in side the rear window I got **** reception I was forced to move it out side of the car
Old 09-09-09, 01:31 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have my xm ant on the back deck between the rear of the package shelf and the sunshade slot and maybe 5 or 6 inches to the passengers side of the 3rd brake light. I stuck a piece of velcro hooks on the bottom and it hasn't moved and reception is decent. I get an occasional drop out in my neighborhood (heavily wooded), but none when in town or on the interstate. I used the VAIS SL2xmt with the mini tuner and it has worked beautifully with the factory controls - 16 digits of text and tuning time is pretty snappy, at least as good as my Alpine setup in my Explorer.
Old 09-09-09, 01:43 PM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

Here are the pictures of my XM antenna and factory XM box located under the back dash inside the trunk

hope these help.
Old 09-09-09, 07:59 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

xhoser, i think you're getting the flavor of what you asked from everybody's replies. My summary and a couple of extra comments would be that no matter what kit you use, if you want it integrated with the head unit, the unit has to be pulled. I"m not a big DIYer either but I was able to pull the navi head using the instructions on the forum.

I think the big effort is threading the lead wire from the trunk where the tuner is mounted up to the head unit. To do it right, there is a fair amount of disassembly/reassembly to hide the wire then plug it into the back of head unit. That is the part that kept me from installing sat myself (I pulled the head unit to install and ipod kit). I had the dealer install the sat. Not cheap but felt like it would be done right and I think it was. Certainly better than I could have done myself.

As for the antenna, I have a similar setup that k. w. c. has in his pics and am satisfied. Some hate any sort of mount on the outside. Fair enough. Stands to reason that you'll get better reception with an outside mount. Inside on the rear window shelf would be my 2nd choice. The triangle antenna on the inside top of the windshield that dealers used to use is the worst choice IMO. I started with that and reception was terrible. Went to the puck on the trunk and it was much better.
Old 09-09-09, 08:15 PM
xhoser
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Greg and kwc.

I'm having Best Buy do the install but with the tuner I bought (SC-C1) and the translator (TOY-SC1) I believe they both will be mounted under the front dash. I will opt for the antenna on the back trunk as kwc showed us. They guys at Best Buy have told me that they have done install on other 3GSs so I am going to let them do it. I'd like to ask them to do some of these mods for the nav and phone while they have it ripped open but not sure how that would go over.
Old 09-09-09, 10:39 PM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

bestbuy really dude????? Im not saying the install is hard but when you pay your installers ZERO commission and only 10$ an hour most of them are not mecp certified. I posted a DIY removal of the head unit and i can even get you all the wire colors you will need from the car..... 12v constant and 12v acc the rest is plug and play. running the antenna is super easy, well the carpet is kinda a ***** cause its so thick but the rest is easy as pie.
Old 09-15-09, 08:42 PM
xhoser
Driver School Candidate

I'm happy to say that I now have Sirius satellite radio installed in my 2006 GS300. I did have it done at Best Buy and everything works as expected. I did make several trips there to talk to the installers and selected the one who had done several installs on other Third Generation GS's. Antenna mounted on center of trunk as others have shown in this post and no drop outs to date. Thanks for everyone's input on this issue as it is nice to be commercial free again. Saved myself a lot of money by buying components online and having installed outside of dealer who wanted $895 to do the job. My total cost wast about $240.