GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Grom USB....WOW...it works!

Old 09-05-09, 09:00 AM
BobTech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you discovered the disc select buttons. I Like how you've mounted the stick BTW. I'll try to do the same with a 3/16" standoff for the thicker sticks that I have.
Mine hasn't hung up yet, but I'm thinking of putting in a momentary NC push button as a stick reset switch that'll break the +5VDC feed by chopping up an old USB male/female extension cable. I did notice that the unit does remember the track you were on before you replugged the stick back in. Keep an eye on GROM's firmware updates, may have a fix eventually.
So far I'm happy with the quality. Just wished I could navigate through the 99 discs of 99 tracks easier.
Old 09-05-09, 12:17 PM
onebigfish
Driver

Originally Posted by BobTech
Glad you discovered the disc select buttons. I Like how you've mounted the stick BTW. I'll try to do the same with a 3/16" standoff for the thicker sticks that I have.
Mine hasn't hung up yet, but I'm thinking of putting in a momentary NC push button as a stick reset switch that'll break the +5VDC feed by chopping up an old USB male/female extension cable. I did notice that the unit does remember the track you were on before you replugged the stick back in. Keep an eye on GROM's firmware updates, may have a fix eventually.
So far I'm happy with the quality. Just wished I could navigate through the 99 discs of 99 tracks easier.
Four holes and some tie straps. I don't like the quality of the usb cable. The should have supplied us with bulkier ends. Yah....when i disconnect the GROM unit itself, it remembers the track. So you're gonna chop up the usb cable? I was thinking of a momentary switch on the power cable itself. When i'm screwing with the ignition switch too much, the unit either locks up or is not recognized, i can't even get into the cd changer mode. Unplugging and replugging the unit relieves this problem.

When you're switching USB sticks....how long does it take to recognize?
Old 09-05-09, 01:59 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 51 Posts

How many gigs does the USB need to be?
Old 09-05-09, 02:53 PM
onebigfish
Driver

Originally Posted by lexus4jess
How many gigs does the USB need to be?
Enough to hold your mp3's. Grom replied to me that they've confirmed 64 gigs work.
Old 09-06-09, 06:46 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What if I already have Vaistech SLS (Sirius) module installed, can I add this Grom USB interface?

Also from all the issues listed above, what is a fix? unplugging usb stick or unplugging the unit?!? If its just unplugging the usb stick, sounds like you have to wait for the unit to re-scan all the songs? How long does that take, for example on a full 1GB stick?
Old 09-06-09, 01:19 PM
onebigfish
Driver

When it locks up, with the radio on, I've been unplugging and replugging the stick. Turn off and on the radio...and it works again. Strange. But it works. WOOHHOO!!
Old 09-08-09, 01:11 PM
BobTech
Driver School Candidate

Hasn't locked up yet, but I haven't been switching sources a lot. Stick recognition has been near instantaneous. Remember to remove the .hex file in the root after doing an update as that will cause an initialization delay by reloading to the firmware once again.
Old 09-08-09, 07:13 PM
onebigfish
Driver

got my stick set with all my stuff on it. When it does lock up, i just unplug and plug the usb, then turn the radio off and on and it's been working great. I suppose when i'm adding stuff to the stick, recognition is slow. so far so good.
Old 09-17-09, 12:05 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 51 Posts

what do you have to unplug to get this unit installed?Any pictures on how it was installed?
Old 09-17-09, 07:17 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my GROM unit yesterday. Time permitting will try to install it over the weekend and take some pictures. From what I understand, our stereo has 3 connectors in the back, and GROM unit should plug into smaller 12-pin one. The wire harness that came with GROM has male-to-female pass-through 12-pin connector. I think the bigger challenge is where to place USB connector. I'm actually thinking about putting it into cigarette lighter compartment with ash container removed.
Old 10-24-09, 08:01 AM
alpine
Driver School Candidate

I've had the early version for about a year now and I'm disappointed to hear they still haven't solved the intermittent startup problem on the new version. Mine has always had this problem, sometimes I just can't get it to kick in and the aux/disc switch doesn't do anything at all. Nor does any combination of radio on /off, ign on /off or mode switching attempt help.
The unit has the latest firmware, though annoyingly they stopped bothering to provide updates to this version in February. One problem for them I suppose is that the Lexus radio/lcd setup never fully switches off: even the power off switch leaves power to the Grom. I can tell this because I can see the LED on the stick flashing when it's inserted, even with the radio off. Slightly disappointed with it really, they need a bullet up their firmware development person. Or maybe to actually test one in a GS...
Old 11-25-09, 12:42 AM
onebigfish
Driver

It's been a while since i've been back on the board. Been cruising around town day and night. Here's an update:

I've noticed that when I add new folders to the stick, it screws up a little. When I skip discs forward, my love music is folder 12, but when i scroll backwards it's disc 11. I know the unit has memory for the stick, but this problem exists. On a new stick, it runs fine, but when your adding stuff, it becomes a problem. I'm thinking formating the stick and reloading the content should fix this issue. Once the box learns your stick, recognition issues should minimize. Once in a while the grom locks up, i'm in cd mode but the track isn't playing. what i do is with the radio on, unplug the stick, plug it back in and turn off the radio and then turn it back on and it should fix that. When the box isn't recognized at all, cd changer option doesn't come up and only dvd mode is operational, i have to manually unplug the unit and plug it back in. A momentary power switch to the right wire should fix this but i haven't had time. But regarding the cd texts, if you look on my previous photos, there's a onscreen button for it "TITLE". Also, your mp3's need to be tagged properly. I use audio tag editor. It's freeware. try it.
Old 11-25-09, 01:28 PM
bryanc182
Driver

does it play video thru the nav screen or does the vais do that only???
Old 11-25-09, 01:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanc182
does it play video thru the nav screen or does the vais do that only???
i am not sure this plays videos, i thought only audio?

vaistech has units that plays video but through ipod. their vml units only do mp3
Old 12-09-09, 05:37 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm starting to seriously consider the GROM TOYU2 unit for my 06, just because it costs HALF as much as the Vais unit and seems to offer more features. It doesn't seem that the vais unit supports as many codecs as grom (but this may be changing), and I'm also not sure that the vais VML unit has an aux jack on it either.

Bottom line is, after researching I trust the vais unit a bit more but why should it cost twice as much? Also, they will only ship to me across the border using UPS while GROM will ship with USPS saving even more money.

I'm not sure if playing the waiting game on the whole usb interface for the car is going to pay out at this point. The lack of MP3CD playback on my 06 GS is kind of a sore spot for me, I was kind of shocked when I learned that an 06 lexus did NOT have this basic level of functionality... what I got instead was a TAPE DECK.

Are there ever any promotions or group buys for the GROM units?

By the way, is it easy to route the harness from behind the nav unit into the glove box without cutting any holes? Where do people generally stick these ipod/usb boxes? Ideally I'd like to have it someplace easily accessible just in case I need to swap it out if the unit goes faulty etc, though I realize that you can update firmware etc. all through the USB extension cable.

GROM has an install instructions page for a Camry online, they connect the harness without removing the head unit at all - but just removing the glove box. I can't tell from the nav removal thread if this is possible on the GS.

It sure looks like an easier job to do it this way, but I can't tell if there is a clear path from the side with the glovebox removed to the rear of the head unit where the harness lives. Can anybody that's been behind there comment?

Last edited by BinaryJay; 12-09-09 at 07:03 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grom USB....WOW...it works!