GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

TSB Wet Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-09, 06:21 PM
christian1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSB Wet Carpet

I noticed today that my floors are soaked with water. I read a few threads about this issue and it is something to do with an AC TSB

I have 59k miles on my 06 GS3 and I needed to know what everyones experiences are on out of warranty TSBs and if the dealer covered the work

I am just concerned and want to know what to expect when I call them.

apperently there is something that clogs and causes the floors to get wet so its water damage and there is definetly a TSB on the problem so I can not imagin Lexus, which knows about the issue, will allow me to pay out of pocket for something they know is an issue. this isn't like wear and tear items that I am asking for to be fixed or a starter that went bad. This is a Lexus known issue that is causing water damage that can have mold or bad smells

Please tell me what you have had luck with even though it might not be for this TSB#, it could be for another issue and if they covered it.

are there miles limit on TSBs? rear view mirror motor passing 65,000 miles is no longer covered?

Thank you
Old 08-23-09, 07:26 PM
STP
Rookie

Search is your friend. Here's what I posted in a separate thread.

Sounds like you are in the same situation that I was:

I just completed this AC Evap Drain Block for an 2006 GS300 AWD. under AC7011

I purchased the car in Oct. of 2008, as a second hand. Mileage was approx. 56K. When I first got the car, I noticed a musty smell, but blew it off thinking it was from the vents or that the dealer washed something and it didn't dry. For the months following leading into winter, I would occasionally still smell the mildew, and on rare occasions get foggy windows in my garage.

I finally read from this forum regarding an open TSB AC7011, and also checked my carpets. THE ENTIRE carpet area driver, pass, and 2 backs were SOAKED, Heavily soaked!!!!

Since the beginning of this summer and my heavy usage of the AC, I noticed the smell even more, and the windows being totally fogged up.

- Fast forward to 3 weeks ago from today.
I took the car into Lexus and told them about this issue and pulled the TSB out for this. The service advisor told me this wasn't covered under warranty anymore for my current mileage of 62K, and that it would be diagnosed and fixed at an unknown timeframe for $110/hr.

I left Lexus, and contacted corporate about TSB and the procedure, as well as warranty for this specific work. Corporate did some investigation with the dealer, and I was told to call back the dealer to set up an appointment to bring the car in. Corp. and the dealer would split the cost in half with me. Which meant, I was quoted $900 from the dealer, and I would be responsible for the $450. This all sounded good to me, and most importantly affordable.

-I took the car in 2 weeks ago from today.
As soon as the car was in and worked on, I was called up again and told there was MAJOR extensive mold/mildew and buildup under the carpets. The quote was now approx. $3400ish. I had a major spasm!! I negotiated with the dealer, and they agreed to drop the price to my responsibility of $1200. The dealer says they fought long and hard with corporate to get this deduction approved.

I picked the car up on Tues. No smells, new carpet, new foam padding, and hopefully the blockage is fixed. The service advisor said he had never seen any car with this much mildew/mold, and was surprised I wasn't sick from it.

The labor involved is major. Everything needs to come out. Seats, entire center console, and dash. Majority of the bill is from the labor. The parts judging from the invoice cost $ 17.00

Here are the parts and work involved:
- Grommet, heater
- Pad, RR floor silenc
- Pad, RR Floor Silenc
- Pad, FR floor, FR
- Pad FR floor silenc
- Pad, ctr floor silenc
- Carpet assy, floor
- Packing, cooler
- Evap drain packing
- Renewed drain guard and insulator, carpet and floor pads. Disinfected all mold and mildew and removed.
- While in there they also re-routed my Valentine1 wiring, and PS ipod kit. All professional looking, but unnecessary.

All in all, I think Lexus Corporate stood up and backed up the reputation. The dealer sounds like they went to bat for me, but I still think I got hosed on the price, and the principle that this isn't covered in some way.
They also decided to perform service campaign 9LC on the car, which for some reason I was told back in March that it didn't need, but now needs?

AND!!! The steering wheel is a bit mis-aligned now, which I have to take back on Mon. But thats a whole other issue with them.

I just think some dealers seem shady, and thats my mentality. Everyone has an agenda, and there's is to make money. But this whole warranty/TSB i never really understood.

In my line of work, I pretty much warranty almost everything for a client. After all if its not a major item or issue, the manufacturer picks up the tab, I develop a good relationship with the end user, and in turn get business. In that case EVERYONE wins.

I hope that helps some people.

Thanks
Old 08-23-09, 10:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have heard of this problem as ell. It seems like it the 300's and maybe some of the early 350. I think I read that this is one of the reasons why the GS / Lexus slipped in 06 or 07. I read stuff like this when I first joined the forum in 207
Old 08-24-09, 05:30 AM
STP
Rookie

Originally Posted by christian1
I am just concerned and want to know what to expect when I call them.

Please tell me what you have had luck with even though it might not be for this TSB#, it could be for another issue and if they covered it.

are there miles limit on TSBs? rear view mirror motor passing 65,000 miles is no longer covered?

Thank you
Responding to your other question regarding TSB's.

- I've had the dash rattle/creak repaired under TSB. No questions asked, no charge to me. Mileage at time of TSB repair 59788, completed in Jan. 09.
- Driver side tilt mirror malfunction: Repaired. Not sure if it was TSB or they fixed under warranty. <~~ Doubt the warranty, mileage was 60836. Completed in Mar. 09.
- Obviously ALL the service recalls were completed.

The TSB/warranty thing is still a mystery too me. Not sure if there's any documentation stating what mileage a TSB and warranty expires at.
I've been asking members on here in other threads, but no clear answers.
Your best bet is to contact your local dealer and bring in the TSB. They will tell you how "they" will handle it. If you don't get anywhere, you can contact Lexus Corporate.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-24-09, 06:20 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STP
Search is your friend. Here's what I posted in a separate thread.

Sounds like you are in the same situation that I was:

I just completed this AC Evap Drain Block for an 2006 GS300 AWD. under AC7011

I purchased the car in Oct. of 2008, as a second hand. Mileage was approx. 56K. When I first got the car, I noticed a musty smell, but blew it off thinking it was from the vents or that the dealer washed something and it didn't dry. For the months following leading into winter, I would occasionally still smell the mildew, and on rare occasions get foggy windows in my garage.

I finally read from this forum regarding an open TSB AC7011, and also checked my carpets. THE ENTIRE carpet area driver, pass, and 2 backs were SOAKED, Heavily soaked!!!!

Since the beginning of this summer and my heavy usage of the AC, I noticed the smell even more, and the windows being totally fogged up.

- Fast forward to 3 weeks ago from today.
I took the car into Lexus and told them about this issue and pulled the TSB out for this. The service advisor told me this wasn't covered under warranty anymore for my current mileage of 62K, and that it would be diagnosed and fixed at an unknown timeframe for $110/hr.

I left Lexus, and contacted corporate about TSB and the procedure, as well as warranty for this specific work. Corporate did some investigation with the dealer, and I was told to call back the dealer to set up an appointment to bring the car in. Corp. and the dealer would split the cost in half with me. Which meant, I was quoted $900 from the dealer, and I would be responsible for the $450. This all sounded good to me, and most importantly affordable.

-I took the car in 2 weeks ago from today.
As soon as the car was in and worked on, I was called up again and told there was MAJOR extensive mold/mildew and buildup under the carpets. The quote was now approx. $3400ish. I had a major spasm!! I negotiated with the dealer, and they agreed to drop the price to my responsibility of $1200. The dealer says they fought long and hard with corporate to get this deduction approved.

I picked the car up on Tues. No smells, new carpet, new foam padding, and hopefully the blockage is fixed. The service advisor said he had never seen any car with this much mildew/mold, and was surprised I wasn't sick from it.

The labor involved is major. Everything needs to come out. Seats, entire center console, and dash. Majority of the bill is from the labor. The parts judging from the invoice cost $ 17.00

Here are the parts and work involved:
- Grommet, heater
- Pad, RR floor silenc
- Pad, RR Floor Silenc
- Pad, FR floor, FR
- Pad FR floor silenc
- Pad, ctr floor silenc
- Carpet assy, floor
- Packing, cooler
- Evap drain packing
- Renewed drain guard and insulator, carpet and floor pads. Disinfected all mold and mildew and removed.
- While in there they also re-routed my Valentine1 wiring, and PS ipod kit. All professional looking, but unnecessary.

All in all, I think Lexus Corporate stood up and backed up the reputation. The dealer sounds like they went to bat for me, but I still think I got hosed on the price, and the principle that this isn't covered in some way.
They also decided to perform service campaign 9LC on the car, which for some reason I was told back in March that it didn't need, but now needs?

AND!!! The steering wheel is a bit mis-aligned now, which I have to take back on Mon. But thats a whole other issue with them.

I just think some dealers seem shady, and thats my mentality. Everyone has an agenda, and there's is to make money. But this whole warranty/TSB i never really understood.

In my line of work, I pretty much warranty almost everything for a client. After all if its not a major item or issue, the manufacturer picks up the tab, I develop a good relationship with the end user, and in turn get business. In that case EVERYONE wins.

I hope that helps some people.

Thanks
Thanks for sharing all this info, you're a credit to CL. Great Job