GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

WOW !!!! the F Sport intake makes no engine noise at all

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 12:16 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default WOW !!!! the F Sport intake makes no engine noise at all

I recently had the new F sport intake istalled on my car and I have to say that its made almost no change in the tone of the car. It cost a good 500 dollars after labor and I honestly have to say that I could not even tell that anything had been done. So much in fact that when I got home I actually popped the hood of the car because I was wondering if they forgot to do the install or something.
I know the intake for te 3 GS doesnt have the lower intake box that is offered with the kit for the 2IS so I am assuming thats the key to making some resonance. In the end I wanted something very mild.... but this is ridiculous. In the end it really is just a drop in air filter and a silver pipe with an F sport emblem on the side. I have to say I am a little disappointed, but in the end I guess its better than a noisy intake. I dont know wether the Tanabe exhaust I have is drowning the sound out, but then again the Tanabe system goes stock silent above 3K. and thats when most CAI will start to produce a deep throaty tone

Are there any F sport intake owners who feel they bought a fancy blue air filter??? I know an air intake is like a kid with playing cards in the spokes, but damn can I get a little vroom vroom sound.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 08-05-09 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-05-09, 03:00 AM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shoulda gotten the K&N that gave me some VROOM
Old 08-05-09, 07:06 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea in the 2IS the airbox has holes in it, im surprised they didnt do the same for the GS, i guess they just assumed you would have prefered it quite.

If you want the noiise you could always cut holes in the airbox. Many CL'ers on the 2IS thread cut holes w/ the joe Z intake for the noice. No performace loss i believe.
Old 08-05-09, 07:45 AM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I recently had the new F sport intake istalled on my car and I have to say that its made almost no change in the tone of the car. It cost a good 500 dollars after labor and I honestly have to say that I could not even tell that anything had been done. So much in fact that when I got home I actually popped the hood of the car because I was wondering if they forgot to do the install or something.
I know the intake for te 3 GS doesnt have the lower intake box that is offered with the kit for the 2IS so I am assuming thats the key to making some resonance. In the end I wanted something very mild.... but this is ridiculous. In the end it really is just a drop in air filter and a silver pipe with an F sport emblem on the side. I have to say I am a little disappointed, but in the end I guess its better than a noisy intake. I dont know wether the Tanabe exhaust I have is drowning the sound out, but then again the Tanabe system goes stock silent above 3K. and thats when most CAI will start to produce a deep throaty tone

Are there any F sport intake owners who feel they bought a fancy blue air filter??? I know an air intake is like a kid with playing cards in the spokes, but damn can I get a little vroom vroom sound.

ok 1st why the heck would you have the worlds easiest car mod done by a dealer when all it takes is 5 min and a 10mm ratchet. 2nd what did you expect...?????? its a closed off intake( like stock) with a blue filter and smooth pipe with a logo.....some of those f-sport items are just a money grab im not sorry at all that you got hosed

"I know an air intake is like a kid with playing cards in the spokes, but damn can I get a little vroom vroom sound"

the reason you can hear the k&N intake is cause there is no BS plastic houseing, just a thin filter between the out side air and the inside of the engine thats why there louder. take off the filter and the top of the filter box and you will see what i mean.
Old 08-05-09, 07:50 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Umm... I beg to differ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRHwfX3mGjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVMSEylPGDY
Old 08-05-09, 08:12 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

probably it's your exhaust drowning the sound out..
it's minimal, but to me, there IS a difference..

does your throttle feel little more sensitive after intake and exhaust?
Old 08-05-09, 08:22 AM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by -the.k.w.c
ok 1st why the heck would you have the worlds easiest car mod done by a dealer when all it takes is 5 min and a 10mm ratchet.
this is hilarious. "dealer installed" air intake?

Originally Posted by -the.k.w.c
....some of those f-sport items are just a money grab im not sorry at all that you got hosed
i can hear it now...."excuse me? do you have any F-Sport valve caps for my wheels?? or what about F-Sport light bulbs?? F-Sport!......F-Sport.....F-Sport!!!"

i agree with k.w.c., complete waste of money! IMHO
Old 08-05-09, 08:41 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im going with the K&N. The more I read the more I hear this F-sport stuff is all branding.
Old 08-05-09, 08:44 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Time to make some holes
Old 08-05-09, 09:09 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN

that sound is sexy. holysht

and it drowns out the DI ticking too.
Old 08-05-09, 09:42 AM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gs350Lola
shoulda gotten the K&N that gave me some VROOM
I agreed! I sure can hear it working even with my Taneba...
Old 08-05-09, 11:37 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

can agree with more...cant really hear or feel anything different..i thought it was just me but glad other people felt the same way...guess k&n is way is to go when u want some sound...
Old 08-05-09, 06:19 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any footage of this in action??
Old 08-05-09, 06:22 PM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

enough said go with K&N
Old 08-05-09, 08:07 PM
Yang1815