GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

TV/Navi kit - unlimited timeout instructions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 08:14 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile TV/Navi kit - unlimited timeout instructions

There is two different mode which you can program the module. If you go to the last page of your instructions, you should see the description and how to set between the Auto Mode (provides 5 minutes override on Navi) and Manual Mode (No time limit on the navigation). Basically, to switch between the mode simply press and hold the navi button when you start your engine. Continue to press the button for the next 7 seconds and you will see the red light blink once. That blink is confirming the module is now switching from one mode to another. Your default mode is the Auto Mode.

I will post up pics of where to wire this up for those that have been asking for a long time. Please allow me sometime to take mine apart and get some pics. If someone else has pics they want to add please do so.

Another member has another way to do this, not so sure if there is a difference but this did work for me and a few locals.

Lets help each other out here
Old 07-25-09, 01:18 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

As I said earlier, I bought my kit on the e-bay from these guys:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATAS...Q5fAccessories

It came with these instructions:

We checked the instructions for the TTN-46 kit, and it says the kit has 2 modes, AUTO mode and MANUAL mode. If you do not change the mode after you install, your kit will be in the AUTO mode. AUTO mode makes the Navi "override" automatically a few minutes after you turn on the NAVI swith.
Therefore, you might have to change the mode to MANUAL. MANUAL mode doesn't have the limit.

Here are the steps to change the mode(AUTO to MANUAL / MANUAL to AUTO)...
1. Ignition "OFF"
2. Push and hold the NAVI swith while turning the Ignition "ON"
3. NAVI swith light comes on, then blinks after 7 seconds and the mode is changed.

So far it did not work for me, I suspect I made a mistake in the way I hooked it up. For the hook-up I used these directions:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-it-works.html

So, Mike, I am looking forward to see your installation pictures.
Old 07-25-09, 07:27 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hooking it up using the link you cite is only going to get you AUTO mode in our cars. There is a different hook up method that enables manual but you won't get it from the ebay crowd. Anybody is free to figure it out but the required documented install instructions so holding the button gets you manual mode are exclusive to another vendor.
Old 07-25-09, 08:35 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Exclusive to who The MFG of the product
Old 07-25-09, 09:15 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by ecount00
hooking it up using the link you cite is only going to get you AUTO mode in our cars. There is a different hook up method that enables manual but you won't get it from the ebay crowd. Anybody is free to figure it out but the required documented install instructions so holding the button gets you manual mode are exclusive to another vendor.
Oh, yeah? Here is another guy who paid too much for his Navi kit and now is trying to make me regret for not spending as much as he did.
Old 07-26-09, 04:43 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I can only laugh at this...

Mine may not be the same as this "elite" group but I am willing to share how I installed my used kit I purchased. I personally didn't think it was worth the money new regardless where it was from. I did the wire hack on the last car and not one problem and for 5$ it does the same thing this does.
Old 07-26-09, 12:57 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Oh, yeah? Here is another guy who paid too much for his Navi kit and now is trying to make me regret for not spending as much as he did.
I don't care whether you regret what you paid for your kit or not. You can install it over and over using the included instructions and it won't work in manual mode. Mine doesnt either. So you're right, I did make a mistake. Here was a guy that thought it worthwhile trying to keep you from wasting a lot of time.
Old 07-26-09, 01:16 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Okay I have mine plugged into the top just as its in that thread. I do not have the blue plug at the bottom plugged into the unit. I had something (think it was DVD) that would not play sound when I had that connected.

I did change mine to manual mode and its unlimited time. When mine is in Auto it times out in about 1 minute or so? I dont know what else to share to help out other then how mine is wired up and how its working.

Looking at the picture from the MFG they do show it plugged into another spot. But that picture may just be generic. But would make me believe that there is another place to connect since that part did not work. I am also on the older Gen Navi being an 06 Model year.

Note: I ONLY use mine for DVD for the kids and it works perfect as I have it. I hardly use my Navi as I know where all the roads are local to me. Its more of a toy that is never used then anything else. If I find there is something different that I have over looked I will post back.
Old 07-26-09, 04:00 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

passnu2, when you change the mode by holding the NAVI button, the red button will stay on indefinitely but the system will revert back to non-override mode after a couple of minutes. You can test this by being on a screen like entering an address/POI or on the phonebook screen.

I can't remember how I hooked mine up but the plugs are all keyed so there really is only one way to put them in...
Old 07-26-09, 04:43 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Mine is not doing that?? I havent had any issues since I changed the setting. It took a little fussing with it. I will try it again as I havent used the navi in months. If its not doing as it was I will let you know.
Old 07-26-09, 07:35 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by passnu2
Okay I have mine plugged into the top just as its in that thread. I do not have the blue plug at the bottom plugged into the unit.
So, Mike, I want to make sure I understand you correctly: You unplugged the blue factory plug frome the unit, plugged it into the gray kit plug, and then did not plug the other gray kit plug into the unit where to blue plug used to be, correct? And now only the large white plug from the kit is plugged in into the unit, right?

Or is your factory blue small plug is unplugged from the unit and not plugged into the gray kit plug at all?

ecount00, you did not make a mistake. In my case I saved $80 over the PS lowest price at the time. Yes I would like to have unlimited override, but even if I don't ever get it, no big deal, to me it wasn't worth extra $80 anyways. How often do you need it, once a month, if that? I installed the kit 2 months ago and never needed the unlimited override yet.

The only reason I even ask about it, because it bugs me that it can be done and I don't know how to do it yet.
Old 07-26-09, 07:52 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RudeDoggy
passnu2, when you change the mode by holding the NAVI button, the red button will stay on indefinitely but the system will revert back to non-override mode after a couple of minutes. You can test this by being on a screen like entering an address/POI or on the phonebook screen.

I can't remember how I hooked mine up but the plugs are all keyed so there really is only one way to put them in...
You are correct. Just washed the car and went down the expressway and sure enough about 5minutes later the screen blacked out so I guess I do not have unlimited anymore. Shows how much I use this

Now I am going to play around with it as it has my curiosity to figure out what the rest have done. Sorry guys I thought I had it working but guess I was wrong.

Also I have the Blue OEM plug in the unit. I do not have the Gray colored plug from the PNP kit plugged in at all.
Old 07-26-09, 08:13 PM
arnieosp
Racer

So, you have 5 min limit. Mine is only 1 minute. I have Mark Levinson, what about you? I wonder if it makes any difference.
Old 07-26-09, 08:17 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

yes I have ML, DVD, ect....

Its for sure longer then 1 min. Its 5 min if not slightly longer and moving at a decent speed on the expressway. I dont know?? I have a free day this week and plan to install the sways now that the my car is back in my hands and that project is done. I will take this apart and look it over and contact a few people.
Old 07-30-09, 07:16 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I played with this a little bit and noticed I am on Navi Disc V. 4.05.01 is this like the oldest Vs. disc out there. I dont think I have seen anyone post with a Vs. this old

Going to see if I can take this out today and look it over. If I figure it out I will post back.