GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DIY: fender rolling thread and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 11:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

just shave the rear fenders
Old 05-05-10, 12:01 PM
phatz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i shaved my rears fenders, cut them down real nice
i used a little air sawzall , a mini one, worked nice. just make sure not to slip that blade LOL
Old 05-05-10, 02:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by phatz
i shaved my rears fenders, cut them down real nice
i used a little air sawzall , a mini one, worked nice. just make sure not to slip that blade LOL
haha yup. and another tip, i put masking tape around the fender, and then duck tape on top. that will give a pretty good protection to the surrounding paint in case any "oops" happens when the blade slips or sand paper flies
Old 05-05-10, 04:32 PM
phatz
Driver

i almost slipped doing mine. gotta have ***** and not be a little girl when doing this type of stuff.
little girls should stick to kias and stock rides.
Old 05-05-10, 08:23 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shaved my rears tonight to get ready for my new wheels. It was quite a job and yes you need big ball for this. The first 10 mins I was a little nervous but then I was good.
Old 12-19-10, 08:48 PM
GSfoedoe
Driver School Candidate

Default To shave or to roll, that is the question...

Resurrecting an old thread here. I've searched this topic and haven't found too much concrete information as to whether shaving or rolling the rear fenders is the better option.

Has anyone successfully rolled the rear fenders without causing any dimples or outer fender imperfections? There is a shop in town that specializes in rolling fenders but I just wanted to get your guys opinion on this subject.

Does shaving the fender cause the fender to become weak due to the metal being cut so thin? Will the outer fender separate from the inner wheel well?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-19-10, 09:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

imho, if there is something about rolling to worry about, then why not just shave? i have never seen problem with shaving. i shaved mine all the way to the edge already, nothing is separating and it's been holding up well

weaker? well, i will put it this way. if something hits the fender hard enough to ding / bend it, it doesn't matter if it's original or shaved or rolled, it will be damaged
Old 12-19-10, 11:07 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
imho, if there is something about rolling to worry about, then why not just shave? i have never seen problem with shaving. i shaved mine all the way to the edge already, nothing is separating and it's been holding up well

weaker? well, i will put it this way. if something hits the fender hard enough to ding / bend it, it doesn't matter if it's original or shaved or rolled, it will be damaged
x2, just shave it. Gives you more clearance if needed. Rolling basically folds up the metal lip.
Old 12-20-10, 12:20 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Dan, just shave it! Let me know how it goes and then we can do mines. I've been a bit busy, but am looking forward to putting my new wheels on. Now I'm starting to think if I will have any rubbing issues. I don't have any now with the 19's, but I'm going an inch wider with the 20's.

Let me know when you do it. Maybe I can help.
Old 12-20-10, 04:05 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my fenders shaved, but still had to go back and grind some more when I got my new wheels. Just make sure you paing the bare metal I also used rubberized undercoating spray made by 3m. Has anyone had to pull their shaved fenders or can this only be done with rolled fenders?? Just curious more aggressive wheels are always on my mind.
Old 12-20-10, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

pulling a shaved fender is "doable", but as usual, paint will be very critical. it will crack very easily. usually when people pull, they are ready to pay for paint
Old 12-20-10, 09:04 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GSfoedoe
Resurrecting an old thread here. I've searched this topic and haven't found too much concrete information as to whether shaving or rolling the rear fenders is the better option.

Has anyone successfully rolled the rear fenders without causing any dimples or outer fender imperfections? There is a shop in town that specializes in rolling fenders but I just wanted to get your guys opinion on this subject.

Does shaving the fender cause the fender to become weak due to the metal being cut so thin? Will the outer fender separate from the inner wheel well?

Thanks in advance!
shave it. i had mine rolled and the shop completely ****ed it up. cost close to 7k worth of damage after having to redo the fenders and pretty much repaint the rear half of the car.
Old 12-20-10, 09:44 AM
GSfoedoe
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips guys! Looks like I will definitely NOT be rolling the rears.

@Kris - I'll hit you up when I'm ready to do the Tanabe suspension install. I'll most likely shave while I have everything apart.

Does anyone shave the fronts or is rolling and tucking the fender liner the best route?
Old 12-20-10, 10:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

my friend shaved the front as well, but since a lot of the front is already rolled, i find it easier to just continue roll more. but just have to do it more carefully. that's also why for front i don't want to do too aggressive on my car
Old 12-20-10, 11:36 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Wow, just got smacked today in a good way!

Called up the the Lexus Dealer here told them that my tires rub because of spacers and springs, and they told me to bring the car in for "fender rolling"!!! WTF!

I love these guys!

Quick Reply: DIY: fender rolling thread and discussion