GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3GS wheel thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 05:34 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigblack06
love the deep dish look. classy and sexy!
thanks, I messed up tho and tried to save money when I had these built. Hopefully I can change the lips out to either 4.5 or 5' lips in the front instead of the 4' that I currently have.
Old 03-12-15, 08:44 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4TEK
19x9.5 OFFSET +40 WITH 255/40/19 TIRES ON THE FRONT WITH STOCK HEIGHT
ANY MEMBERS HAVE THIS SET UP IN THE FRONT PLEASE HELP IM GETTING READY TO BUY WHEELS AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THAT FITMENT IS OK WITH NO RUBBING AGAINST CALIPER OR OTHER FITMENT ISSUES
Originally Posted by Kuleaze
I don't personally have that setup, but from what I know from this site and from other CL members posts, those specs should work fine for you.
i dunno i have 19x9.5 all around with a +25 offset and 4mm spacer and it looks just about an inch away from the hub assemblies' arm. looks like you would clear but you'd be cutting it close.
Old 03-12-15, 11:21 AM
GS4TEK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberEJ
i dunno i have 19x9.5 all around with a +25 offset and 4mm spacer and it looks just about an inch away from the hub assemblies' arm. looks like you would clear but you'd be cutting it close.
Hi thanks for the reply
If u do +40 offset will it be a lil bit less aggressive than ur +25 offset and will it be a tad farther away from the control arms? r u lowered on any coilover or spring and low is it and how is the car running on spacers so far? I will not lower my GS due to potholes here.
What size of tires are u running on? Im planing on 255-40-19
The hub assembly arms are the upper control arms?
Old 03-12-15, 11:51 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

When I said I don't have that setup, what I meant was, I'm running 20's instead of 19's. However, my offset is +40 and I have 245/35/20s with no issues.

I will say this, you can barely fit a sheet of paper between my wheels and the break caliper, but it does work..
Old 03-12-15, 12:43 PM
GS4TEK
Driver

When I said I don't have that setup, what I meant was, I'm running 20's instead of 19's. However, my offset is +40 and I have 245/35/20s with no issues.

I will say this, you can barely fit a sheet of paper between my wheels and the break caliper, but it does work..
Hi
Thanks so much for taking the time to help
What is the width of ur rims? 9.5 or 10 ect...
r u lowered on coilover or spring and low?
Im from Chicago, do u know any good aftermarket wheel shops please let me know
Old 03-12-15, 04:51 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

The only place I'm familiar with is Motor City Rims in Stone Park, IL (motorcityrims.com). They hooked me up with some tires after I hit a pot hole at the start of this last winter. They have quite a few rim options in the place and can help you with fitment as well. I can't say whether their prices are competitive or not, cause I haven't compared. But they were helpful with getting me tires when no one else had my size.

As for my rims, they're getting replaced late spring, but they're 20x8.5 right now. I didn't buy the rims, they came with the car. I'm replacing these with TSW Jarama wheels (20x9.5 all the way around) with +40 Offset.

I've been doing some price shopping on the TSW rims, I'll call Motor City tomorrow and see what they can do on price, maybe they'll be competitive. I'll let you know what I find out.

I'm not lowered yet! I plan on lowering the car, just not sure when I'll pull the trigger. When I do, I'm going with BC Coilovers.

Last edited by Kuleaze; 03-12-15 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-13-15, 04:16 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Hi thanks for the reply
If u do +40 offset will it be a lil bit less aggressive than ur +25 offset and will it be a tad farther away from the control arms? r u lowered on any coilover or spring and low is it and how is the car running on spacers so far? I will not lower my GS due to potholes here.
What size of tires are u running on? Im planing on 255-40-19
The hub assembly arms are the upper control arms?
it will be closer than to the arms than mine. Kuleaze is running 20x8.5 with +40 and if he isn't running into any problems you should be good.
Old 03-13-15, 11:04 PM
GS4TEK
Driver

Default 19x9.5 front with spacer?

im still researching whether 19x9.5 front et +35 stock height will have fitment issue but couldn't get any clear answer yet, my 3gs awd has big calipers so my question is if i run 5mm spacers will it clear?
please help
Old 03-18-15, 10:43 PM
GS4TEK
Driver

The only place I'm familiar with is Motor City Rims in Stone Park, IL (motorcityrims.com). They hooked me up with some tires after I hit a pot hole at the start of this last winter. They have quite a few rim options in the place and can help you with fitment as well. I can't say whether their prices are competitive or not, cause I haven't compared. But they were helpful with getting me tires when no one else had my size.

As for my rims, they're getting replaced late spring, but they're 20x8.5 right now. I didn't buy the rims, they came with the car. I'm replacing these with TSW Jarama wheels (20x9.5 all the way around) with +40 Offset.

I've been doing some price shopping on the TSW rims, I'll call Motor City tomorrow and see what they can do on price, maybe they'll be competitive. I'll let you know what I find out.

I'm not lowered yet! I plan on lowering the car, just not sure when I'll pull the trigger. When I do, I'm going with BC Coilovers.
Hi
Did u get the 20x9.5 wheels yet? How is the fitment?
Old 03-19-15, 05:54 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

im still researching whether 19x9.5 front et +35 stock height will have fitment issue but couldn't get any clear answer yet, my 3gs awd has big calipers so my question is if i run 5mm spacers will it clear?
please help
it all depends on the clearance of the wheels. each company has their own reference of how it clears the brakes.

for example: weds sports wheels have high disc, medium disc, low disc and super low disc. high disk are for larger calipers that sit higher than the hub surface (big brakes). and low disk means the calipers are barely or not higher than the hub mounting surface.

so basically 19x9.5 +35 will work for sure on the rear, but the front with its big brakes you would need a medium or high disc made wheel to clear. unless you add spacers.

Most 3rd party company's wheels are made to clear big brakes. i would contact the company your getting your wheels from and ask. i can only tell you that it will fit with no issues on the rear.

if you get low disk or super low disc you will need more than a 5mm spacer to clear.

Last edited by uberEJ; 03-19-15 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-19-15, 10:06 AM
GS4TEK
Driver

Originally Posted by uberEJ
it all depends on the clearance of the wheels. each company has their own reference of how it clears the brakes.

for example: weds sports wheels have high disc, medium disc, low disc and super low disc. high disk are for larger calipers that sit higher than the hub surface (big brakes). and low disk means the calipers are barely or not higher than the hub mounting surface.

so basically 19x9.5 +35 will work for sure on the rear, but the front with its big brakes you would need a medium or high disc made wheel to clear. unless you add spacers.

Most 3rd party company's wheels are made to clear big brakes. i would contact the company your getting your wheels from and ask. i can only tell you that it will fit with no issues on the rear.

if you get low disk or super low disc you will need more than a 5mm spacer to clear.
Hi
thank u so much
this is very informative.
I saw that u r running19x9.5 in the front with 4mm spacer. What wheels r u running on and is there a significance differences between stock wheels and ur 19x9.5 wheel ride quality?
is ur GS AWD?
Old 03-19-15, 12:25 PM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Tire suggestions

So I've been searching all damn day and just can't seem to find a good answer/opinion of a tire to put on an 18" x 9" wheel (+30 I believe).
I want to get the same size for the front and rears, with importance being the most sidewall/cushion possible because of the lovely northeast Ohio roads I have to drive on.

All of the posts I found were staggered setups, so it's been making things difficult to narrow down.
It seems the 245/40/18 is a safe bet from some posts I found (in regards to the fronts), but I'm wondering if the 255/40/18 will give me the sidewall I want without rubbing or taking the overall diameter aspect too far out of whack.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-19-15, 12:38 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Hi
Did u get the 20x9.5 wheels yet? How is the fitment?
I have not... I've been talking with the guy where I get my car washed, he's telling me he wants my rims that are on there now, I'm just waiting for him to pull the trigger, then I'll order the new wheels.

Not sure when all this is going to happen. I'll probably give him a few weeks to decide and then place them on Craigslist.
Old 03-19-15, 05:39 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IcyBishop
So I've been searching all damn day and just can't seem to find a good answer/opinion of a tire to put on an 18" x 9" wheel (+30 I believe).
I want to get the same size for the front and rears, with importance being the most sidewall/cushion possible because of the lovely northeast Ohio roads I have to drive on.

All of the posts I found were staggered setups, so it's been making things difficult to narrow down.
It seems the 245/40/18 is a safe bet from some posts I found (in regards to the fronts), but I'm wondering if the 255/40/18 will give me the sidewall I want without rubbing or taking the overall diameter aspect too far out of whack.

Any suggestions?
are you lowered at all? I cant imagine it making any noticeable changes since aren't 08+ OEM rims 18x8?
Old 03-19-15, 07:44 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IcyBishop

Any suggestions?
I think you're mixing up the numbers. The difference between 245 and 255 is the width. If you're looking for sidewall for cushion, then you want to focus on the second number. Go from a 40 to a 45. That will give you a higher sidewall and better comfort.

I have my OEM (winter) wheels on now and I'm running 245/40/18 all the way around and they're comfortable. I don't think you have to go any higher than 40 for the sidewall. Width isn't going to give you any more comfort one way or the other (245 vs 255). The only other thing you can do is buy a tire manufactured for comfort. I can't suggest any though. I used Continental PureContact ECO+ and I like them.. Hope that helps...

Quick Reply: 3GS wheel thread