GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why Doesn't Lexus Approve Rust/Undercoating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 03:37 PM
Leonard15
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Doesn't Lexus Approve Rust/Undercoating?

Hi guys this is the email reply that I got from Lexus Canada regarding my inquiry about if I should get my 2009 Lexus GS 350 rust proofed & undercoated? They seem to advise me to discourage from getting it done also the person whom I purchased the car from the dealer said not to do anything with the car. Keep in mind I live on Ontario Canada and we do get snow.

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

Most of our franchised Lexus dealerships offer some form of rustproofing because consumer demand for these products is high. Although rustproofing treatments may be beneficial given our harsh winter driving conditions, Lexus Canada and Toyota Canada Inc. do not endorse their use. We do not supply these products, or oversee their manufacture or application. The aftermarket rustproofing is applied entirely at your discretion.

Should an aftermarket product be the direct cause of a concern with your vehicle, Lexus would not be responsible. The manufacturer's warranty covers defects in material or workmanship; however, it does not extend to problems that are caused by factors other than the manufacturing processes.

We hope that the information we have provided will be useful.
Old 07-02-09, 04:39 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

first of all, all lexus vehicles have rust proof already (there is that rust perforation protection that comes with all cars when you buy brand new). and of course there is the question of liability...the second last paragraph says it all: "warranty is only for defect in materials or workmanship; however, it does not extend to problems that are caused by factors other than the manufacturing process." so lexus is covering their butt just in case the aftermarket rust proofing causes problems of some sort down the road and you want to claim warranty repair.

imho, go ahead and do the rustproofing. you live in ontario, so there's lots of salt and de-icing stuff on the roads that can corrode your new car.
Old 07-02-09, 07:17 PM
Leonard15
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Stormforge. So where do you guys recommend getting the rust proofing and undercoating done here in Ontario? I hear Krown is supposed to one of the good places but anywhere else you know of?
Old 07-02-09, 07:20 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonard15
Thanks Stormforge. So where do you guys recommend getting the rust proofing and undercoating done here in Ontario? I hear Krown is supposed to one of the good places but anywhere else you know of?
definitely don't go to the lexus dealer to get it done, too expensive. any reputable aftermarket vendor that does rust proofing is fine. if you were in bc, i'd recommend a shop for you.