GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Battery Drain - Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-09, 11:38 AM
HomieG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain - Normal?

A couple of times I've run down the battery in my car when in the ACC or IG-ON modes. This has been while I was programming the bluetooth and NAV units, and also when I installed the iPod/SAT interface. Typically the drain occured withing about 20-30 minutes in the ACC or IG-ON modes. Battery voltage was at about 10v after drain. Charges to 12.4v (engine off), and is 13.4v with engine running.

Vehicle is a 2006 GS300.

Is this a normal depletion time for battery drain in the ACC or IG-ON mode?
Old 06-14-09, 12:29 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Definitely not normal. Your alternator is definitely good (13.4 A with engine running), your battery is loosing ability to hold charge. It is a 3y/o battery, the 3GS has tons of electronic dependent "toys", sensors that are not found on regular automobiles...I'd change out the battery ASAP.
Old 06-14-09, 03:29 PM
HomieG
Driver

Thank you. I didn't realize that I could check each cell on this battery. Thought it was a "maintenance free" type. Sure enough, all the cells were low on electrolyte. Checking the specific gravity, one cell was at 25%, and two more at 50%. Added a total of about 1/3 gallon of distilled water across all six cells. Battery is on the charger now. I suspect that will take care of this issue.

Last edited by HomieG; 06-14-09 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-14-09, 03:53 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

IMO, there is really no such thing as a maintenance free battery (only "low" maintenance). Periodically, it is a good idea to check on distilled water (electrolyte) level on each cell. That is why i personally tend to stay away from so called "maintenance-free", or sealed type batteries.

The average life of a battery from my experience spans around 4 years- give and take differences in battery type, and electronic accesories available in a vehicle, engine type/size... I often change batteries every 4 years to save me the headache.
Old 06-15-09, 02:08 PM
HomieG
Driver

It does now appear that one cell is dead. Specific gravity of the electrolyte in that one cell is zero.

I called the local dealer and they tell me that the battery is -not- covered under the 48 month, 48,000 mile warranty, rather it is only warrantied for 36 months. Then I chat, and phone, Lexus, and they state that the battery is covered under warranty. How should I handle this when I go to the dealer (and who should I believe)?
Old 06-15-09, 03:29 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

I checked on my original battery and it was stamped "Warranty 84 months"- i might be mistaken. I would just follow up with Lexus NA , and let them direct you to the dealer of their choice- have them put it on writing.

Ive had the experience where one dealer denied a warranty claim, and sure enough another dealer replaced the part under warranty.

BTW, i would also check on aftermarket battery prices- i have a feeling that Lexus OEM batteries carries prorated warranty (just like most aftermarket batteries), a brand new aftermarket battery MIGHT even be cheaper than the Lexus OEM battery replacement (after prorated warranty coverage).

Last edited by spine911; 06-15-09 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-16-09, 06:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by HomieG
It does now appear that one cell is dead. Specific gravity of the electrolyte in that one cell is zero.

I called the local dealer and they tell me that the battery is -not- covered under the 48 month, 48,000 mile warranty, rather it is only warrantied for 36 months. Then I chat, and phone, Lexus, and they state that the battery is covered under warranty. How should I handle this when I go to the dealer (and who should I believe)?
Believe Lexus HQ, just ask your dealer to call Lexus and they will pro-rated the cost of your battery replacement.
Old 06-16-09, 05:03 PM
HomieG
Driver

Thanks to all for their input. Got things resolved today.

Car would not start today. Called roadside assistance for a jump. Drove the car directly to the dealer who put in a Toyota Interstate Group 24 battery (84 month), under warranty, at no charge.

So be it for the gal I spoke with at the dealership yesterday who insisted it was not covered under warranty...

Also put a set of Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX 245/40-18's on the car today. Nice tire. Very quiet (but then many of them are that way when new). Nice handling. Hopefully they'll live up to their reputation.

Thanks again.
Old 06-16-09, 05:51 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

..anytime...glad to hear you are back on the road.

Excellent Lexus battery warranty.
Old 09-07-10, 06:27 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A family member is driving a 2000 Sienna with something like 250,000 km that is still on it's factory battery and they have never added water to it, or anything. I don't know what kind of pact with the devil that battery made.

I have experienced what appeared to be battery drain shortly after I bought the car when in acc mode with the headlights on when doing things like you described, setting up bluetooth etc. What happened in my case was that the display kept "rebooting" until I shut the car off and restarted with the engine running. It hasn't happened since, but whenever I play around with the car with the acc on and engine off I always turn the headlights off from auto now.
Old 09-07-10, 06:53 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OP, you are KILLING your battery.

Never discharge your battery like that. It seem car battery is design to stay charged and it can take about 5 discharges, after that it depend on your luck how 'new'.

Rule of thumb applies too when in ignition without the engine running, turn off things you don't need like headlights/foglights/etc. With OEM audio stuff, you should be able to play your music a few hrs without having to worry about starting problem.

It's ability to turn the engine is measured in ACC, and this number drop when the battery gets old. If you hear your engine is having a hard time to start during the summer, better get that battery change before winter.
Old 09-08-10, 12:31 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just pop in the Red Optima battery for 190 and call it a day. I heard good reviews about these Optima battery. Just installed mine last week.
Old 12-22-10, 06:07 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpio74
Just pop in the Red Optima battery for 190 and call it a day. I heard good reviews about these Optima battery. Just installed mine last week.
Sorry to revive an old thread... but what size Optima did you install? The group 25 one? I thought the OEM size is group 24. Did you have to do anything in particular to make it fit (like lose the battery cover?) or does it just go in without any fuss?

Trying to source a decent price on Optima batteries in Canada is a pain. I'm thinking about replacing my battery soon to rule out battery related issues with my HID fog kit sometimes not igniting on startup (even though I went through the trouble of rewiring with the relay harness to rule that out). Part of me also wants to believe that a new battery with more power at cranking may make my mysterious GROM startup problems go away as well if indeed the battery is just barely cranking the car up properly.

Toyota dealership nearby wants about $150 and tax for the OE battery, Lexus dealership wants $160 for I assume the same thing. It seems rather steep for a regular lead acid electrolyte battery but I can't find anything AGM that will fit so far other than perhaps the Optima 25s and I'm waiting for quotes on those. I'd prefer an AGM if I can find one that fits without issues at the right price because I believe they are supposed to hold their charges better when sitting and I only drive the car for relatively short distances once or twice a week, if that.

Also does anybody know where I can find the manufacturing date of the OE batteries? At this point, since I bought the car second hand from the dealership I am not certain if it's the factory installed battery or if it may have already been replaced once and my paranoia about the battery may be unfounded.
Old 12-24-10, 11:22 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spine911

The average life of a battery from my experience spans around 4 years- give and take differences in battery type, and electronic accesories available in a vehicle, engine type/size... I often change batteries every 4 years to save me the headache.
Yea for a domestic battery, the Japanese made Panasonic batteries ive dealt with lasted me 7-8 years without a problem. My 2003 4Runner factory battery with a build date of 06/2002 still kicking along. My GS has the factory Panasonic as well, just keep it cleaned and watch the water level and it will last.
Old 12-24-10, 11:29 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpio74
If its the same Optima Redtop put into Altima Hybrids the battery is crap, they come factory equipped w/ Optima Redtop on all 07+ Nissan Altima hybrids and they a crapping out at 1-2 years on majority of the Altimas. Ive also had a few friends that used them on their cars with the same results. Id rather pay $200 for a factory equipped Panasonic battery and no its not the same as the replacement battery bought at Lexus or Toyota dealers as they give you the crappy Interstate Made in Mexico made batteries with a Lexus sticker on it.

Quick Reply: Battery Drain - Normal?