GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Do you leave your headlights and wipers on "Auto"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-09, 10:35 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Do you leave your headlights and wipers on "Auto"?

i've been experimenting the past few days whether i like to leave my headlights and wipers on "auto" or not. so far, i like the auto feature for the wipers. the sensors are fairly accurate and wipes the windshield accordingly. so i'm going to keep that feature turned on.

as for the headlights, i'm not certain if i like or dislike this "auto" feature. it works OK, and the headlights do turn on when i go into an underground parkcade or when i enter my garage, and the headlights do turn off in daylight. the only thing i feel "strange" about it (if you could call it that) is that i'm so used to turning my headlights on/off manually. so when i park and leave my car, my headlights are still on. yes, i know they turn off within 30 seconds after you park, but still...i get this funny urge that tell me "you forgot to turn off your headlights!" LOL!

what about you guys? do you use the auto feature for lights/wipers, or do you like to manually operate them?

Last edited by Stormforge; 11-08-13 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-05-09, 10:37 AM
Iocca
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always leave my headlights on, i did in my last car too. i hate it tho cause when someone else drives it or i valet it, they always turn them off and i forget about it. i got stopped in california for it after i left my hotel.
Old 06-05-09, 10:42 AM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

I feel u guys....if some1 else drives the car they will turn it off for u. i always leave my lights on auto. and my wipers i turn it off cause i wanna aviod getting a rainbow on my windshield lol....
Old 06-05-09, 10:47 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

im the opposite, im so use to turning everything on myself that i still do it. i wouldnt mind leaving the headlight on but i hate whenever i drive down a somewhat dark back road or thru a tunnel that they come on for a few seconds then go back off.
Old 06-05-09, 10:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

pat, welcome to modern technology, start getting used to it!

i have put my headlights on auto since my gs400, dont' see any reason not to. it's just convenient (like climate control)

the wipers i tried very hard putting it in auto but i just have way too many false alarm so i turned it off. like heng said, if it's big enough rain i am ok, but sometimes drizzle and it turns on (while my car is not very clean) and i got all these rainbows
Old 06-05-09, 10:58 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

unlike Henry =P

I like to be in control, I want to turn on the headlight/wipes/AC whenever I want to .. and not when the car feels like it =)

all in manual mode
Old 06-05-09, 11:01 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

leaving your lights in auto will reduce the life of your HIDs...bulbs and ballast
Old 06-05-09, 11:04 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rominl
pat, welcome to modern technology, start getting used to it!

i have put my headlights on auto since my gs400, dont' see any reason not to. it's just convenient (like climate control)

the wipers i tried very hard putting it in auto but i just have way too many false alarm so i turned it off. like heng said, if it's big enough rain i am ok, but sometimes drizzle and it turns on (while my car is not very clean) and i got all these rainbows
LOL! henry, i'm coming from a '99 acura tl, give me some time to adapt!

speaking of streaky rainbows, how often do you replace your wipers? i believe oem wipers last about a year before they need to be replaced?
Old 06-05-09, 11:06 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Kaydee
leaving your lights in auto will reduce the life of your HIDs...bulbs and ballast
oic...what's the reduced life expectancy? 10%?
Old 06-05-09, 11:24 AM
ivanz
Lead Lap

I'm quite old fashioned and turn on each when needed. Although I turn on the wipers by setting them to auto and help it out when it isn't cleaning the windshield properly (rarely happens). As for the auto headlights, I have this paranoia of draining the battery...so I have to turn it off and make sure it is off to sleep soundly at night
(yes I know I can force it off by hitting lock twice).
Old 06-05-09, 11:30 AM
ekc
Pole Position

I don't use the auto headlight feature. For one, the headlights don't turn on when raining during daylight (headlights are required to be on by law in CA when raining). I also prefer to have my headlights on earlier than sunset.

For the windsheild wipers, I will turn them to auto when it's raining. It's pretty convenient.
Old 06-05-09, 11:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i've been experimenting the past few days whether i like to leave my headlights and wipers on "auto" or not. so far, i like the auto feature for the wipers. the sensors are fairly accurate and wipes the windshield accordingly. so i'm going to keep that feature turned on.

as for the headlights, i'm not certain if i like or dislike this "auto" feature. it works OK, and the headlights do turn on when i go into an underground parkcade or when i enter my garage, and the headlights do turn off in daylight. the only thing i feel "strange" about it (if you could call it that) is that i'm so used to turning my headlights on/off manually. so when i park and leave my car, my headlights are still on. yes, i know they turn off within 30 seconds after you park, but still...i get this funny urge that tell me "you forgot to turn off your headlights!" LOL!

what about you guys? do you use the auto feature for lights/wipers, or do you like to manually operate them?
You can have the dealer program the headlight so it will go off as soon as you open the driver door when in auto, or you can click the fob twice and the headlight will shut off. The dealer can also adjust the headlight's sensitivity so it comes on at dawn. I wish the GS's headlights would come on with the wipers.
Old 06-05-09, 11:49 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both on auto for me.
Old 06-05-09, 01:05 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by ivanz
I have this paranoia of draining the battery...so I have to turn it off and make sure it is off to sleep soundly at night
LOL! that's exactly how i feel sometimes!
Old 06-05-09, 01:43 PM
blckwidow
Rookie

I leave both of mine on. For me, having the headlights on even after I have stepped away from the car is a safety precaution for me. I usually don't get home until late at night from work so having them on for a few seconds helps me get into the house. Gives me peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Do you leave your headlights and wipers on "Auto"?