GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Engine light on, VSC, traction light on! help

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 10:57 PM
derricklee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light on, VSC, traction light on! help

Last Friday. my dash board engine light is on. also check VSC light and traction control is on. I use scan tool to check the code. it comes out with
2 P0441
2 P0455.
I read something could be related to gas cap. but i tight it and reset. same light still comes back. everytime is in the morning. when i start the car. I reset it three time. engine light will come back after half tank gas gone. My car is out of warranty. Anybody knows what problem could be? my drive still drive very smooth. need help!!!!

update: I just got this from newport lexus. $19.70 with my AAA discount. i hope this will complete solve my problem.

Last edited by derricklee; 05-29-09 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-27-09, 11:23 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

This PDF might help you further diagnose it...although it is for the 2GS, it should be fairly similar:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/070...b/LexusVSV.pdf
Check for hairline cracks in the gas cap, as someone though theirs was not cracked but it turned out to be.
Old 05-28-09, 12:05 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by derricklee
Last Friday. my dash board engine light is on. also check VSC light and traction control is on. I use scan tool to check the code. it comes out with
2 P0441
2 P0455.
I read something could be related to gas cap. but i tight it and reset. same light still comes back. everytime is in the morning. when i start the car. I reset it three time. engine light will come back after half tank gas gone. My car is out of warranty. Anybody knows what problem could be? my drive still drive very smooth. need help!!!!
Does the gas cap cinch down tight, such that it takes some force to release it?

My car also gave me P0455 error several times. You can see how I fixed it in post #8 of this thread.
Old 05-28-09, 12:09 AM
krava
Lead Lap

I had the same thing happen to me. I bought a 06 gs 300 and the first time I filled it up with gas like a day later it came on and pissed me off. I had the car for like 2 days and now a check engline light etc on? This was right after someone told me autocheck said the car was described as frame damage at auction. Anyway I took it to lexus and it was a faulty gas cap. The gas cap that was on it clicked and all but didn't really tighten good but so far I had it for awhile after that and it hasn't come on yet
Old 05-28-09, 06:31 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

had that same problem. Take it to the dealer and tell them to replace your gas cap
Old 05-28-09, 09:30 PM
derricklee
Driver

so, everybody all agree with gas cap is the problem. but how come my traction light is on. i see lot of people's engine light and VSC light is on. It seems like my case is different. maybe i should replace my cap first. it is less than $30 if i get it from carson.
Old 05-28-09, 09:34 PM
derricklee
Driver

Originally Posted by DrexLex
Does the gas cap cinch down tight, such that it takes some force to release it?

My car also gave me P0455 error several times. You can see how I fixed it in post #8 of this thread.

no, it is not. no matter how hard you tight it up. it is force less to turn it off. So. does it mean my gas cap is time to replace?
Old 05-28-09, 10:34 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

no, it is not. no matter how hard you tight it up. it is force less to turn it off. So. does it mean my gas cap is time to replace?
Yup. Time for a new cap.
Old 05-29-09, 05:46 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

My traction light came on along with the Check VSC and check engine lights. They replaced the gas cap and it's been good since.
Old 05-29-09, 06:04 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ yea once one trips they all do in this car. Its amazing how many are having this problem. The IS wasnt having this issue and I havent had a car to date that needed the gas cap replaced?? I had mine replaced and havent had the CEL since.
Old 05-29-09, 09:47 AM
derricklee
Driver

can't believe this problem is so common on our 3rd GS. Why can't lexus make better gas cap? this is not sth related to new technology. Toyota should't have any excuse to not make a quanlity fuel cap with their experience in last 100 years. will order a fuel cap from carson today and give it a try. keep you guys posted
Old 05-29-09, 11:58 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think these problems are pretty widespread across automakers. At least we don't have a bum high pressure fuel pump...
Old 05-29-09, 12:58 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's because you are not stepping on the brake pedal when u are trying to start the car =P
Old 05-29-09, 01:59 PM
derricklee
Driver

Originally Posted by whlkev
that's because you are not stepping on the brake pedal when u are trying to start the car =P
I only did this when i want to listen music but don't wana waste my gas.
Old 05-29-09, 02:42 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

can't believe this problem is so common on our 3rd GS. Why can't lexus make better gas cap? this is not sth related to new technology. Toyota should't have any excuse to not make a quanlity fuel cap with their experience in last 100 years. will order a fuel cap from carson today and give it a try. keep you guys posted
My Toyota 4Runner has exactly the same cap but no problems--same age. I wonder if it's the fuel neck stamping rather than the cap.

Quick Reply: Engine light on, VSC, traction light on! help