GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Check engine light/VSC Check failed

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 05:19 PM
jboyle034
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Check engine light/VSC Check failed

Recently(4/30/09) purchased a 2006 GS300AWD with 24K. Picked up on Friday night, back at the dealership on Saturday with the problem. Dealer checked the car while I waited, and they believed that the problem was that the gas cap was not on properly when the car was filled up (by dealership employee). Several days later, and after filling up, the check engine light was activated again. Returned to the dealer. Waited again while they checked, and they advised me that they had to call Lexus in California about the problem. Lexus CA believed that the charcoal filter may have been damaged when the car was topped off. They were advised to drain the fuel line, and that should resolve the issue.

This morning 5/21/09, when I started the car, I received the same VSC Check/Check engine light malfunction indicator. Returned to the dealer again with my CPO Lexus. I am now in a loaner, and the dealer is trying to find the cause of the problem.

Anyone else ever had a similar issue with their 06 GS300AWD? Any suggestions, or advice would be most appreciated.
Old 05-21-09, 05:29 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did twice with mine right after I got it. I had them replace the gas cap as that was the problem both times and I havent had one problem with it since. Have them try it From what I have read seems to be a common problem with this car for some reason.
Old 05-21-09, 06:36 PM
BMWboy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default co-sign w/previous poster

Mine was a bad gas cap, $31. The gasket inside the cap was bad.
Old 05-21-09, 07:44 PM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

Yup, mine was the gas cap too
Old 05-22-09, 08:38 AM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's scary is that your dealer suspected the gas cap wasn't seated right, but if it turns out to be a bad gas cap, didn't bother to actually inspect it... I like the smell of "dealer provided free stuff" when my dashboard light goes on for the same problem 3x in a row!

L
Old 05-22-09, 08:52 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

yea 9 times out of 10 its the cap itselft. caps are known to go back and leak on a lot of cars.
Old 05-22-09, 10:02 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

I had to take mine back today. I hope they just give me a new gas cap. I've only had the car for a week and it's already been at the dealership twice. I want to drive my car!
Old 05-22-09, 12:02 PM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

Just tell them to replace the gas cap the first time.
Old 05-23-09, 10:51 AM
jboyle034
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the suggestions and your time to reply.

The dealer came up with the same conclusion, and replaced the gas cap at no cost to me. Have only had the car back for 24 hrs., and so far, no further issues. Will keep everyone posted. Thanks for your help. Jim
Old 05-28-09, 06:17 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

just curious about this but would any problems happen if you continue to drive the car before getting the gas cap fixed?

only questioning because this morning mine came on again (1st time in over a year) however i cant get to the dealer til next weekend and im leaving for the beach tomrorow (approx 200 mile round trip). I have a good feeling its the gas cap because when i went to tighten it, it felt very loose and after tightened it, i checked it when i got to work and it was loose again. Just not sure if it would cause a problem if i drove the car.

Last edited by IXI187IXI; 05-28-09 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-28-09, 06:30 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

I'm pretty sure the only things you have to worry about are gas evaporating and gas spilling out.
Old 05-28-09, 06:16 PM
BMWboy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
just curious about this but would any problems happen if you continue to drive the car before getting the gas cap fixed?

only questioning because this morning mine came on again (1st time in over a year) however i cant get to the dealer til next weekend and im leaving for the beach tomrorow (approx 200 mile round trip). I have a good feeling its the gas cap because when i went to tighten it, it felt very loose and after tightened it, i checked it when i got to work and it was loose again. Just not sure if it would cause a problem if i drove the car.
I was told that it would not. I was also told that the light would go out after a few days but it never did. I had to get it reset after about 2 weeks. I did replace the gas cap though because I knew that was the problem.
Old 05-31-09, 06:27 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

well i just went to the dealer friday before i left for the beach and bought the cap. its cheap and i didnt wanna risk driving it even though a tech told me it would be ok. he said if it started to flash then id be in trouble.

long story short, i replaced it myself in about 2 mins and disconnected my neg terminal on the battery to clear the code. all codes went away and no problems
Old 08-11-09, 09:48 PM
jrusso
Driver School Candidate

Default VSC light

The VSC indicator light came on. I read a bit from the owners manual saying it is on because the vehicle swerve control has malfunctioned and to take the car to a Lexus dealer ASAP. This is a 2003 430SC...Anyone with some ideas? Thanks, Jim
Old 09-17-09, 01:59 PM
Chrissy
Driver School Candidate

My 2007 IS250 just had this problem - after 2 hours of freeway driving this week, the VSC indicator came on and had power loss too. Luckily I was on a 30-40 speed zone and not on the freeway which I had just gotten off. Pulled over quick because car wouldn't go beyond about 30-35. Used the free towing service and towed to the San Antonio dealer. Picking up tomorrow, they said several things were replaced and due to carbon building. They never said anything about a gas cap. Will post details this weekend after I get the car and see the service report and hopefully have details. Had them do the recall service while it was in. This is the first time I've ever had a problem.
Had to get a loaner for trip back to Austin, now back to San Antonio in the morning for my car. Loaners don't have navigator - I'm LOST big time without my navigator. Ps - the San Antonio dealership is REALLY nice! Much cooler than Austin - of course service in Austin is awesome too.

Quick Reply: Check engine light/VSC Check failed