GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

HID fog lights on my 3GS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 02:04 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookin' good twister! I've been wanting to do the 3000K HID fog light install myself (XenonDepot seems to be the kit to get) but have been dragging my heels...

We all know the "city light" (or whatever it's called) isn't very pronounced. It isn't the DRL that is coming through in your pics (that would be the high beam bulb at half-power when the HID low-beam is off). The city light is the small bulb that comes through the upper corner of the light housing. You can use LEDs for this. I used a Polarg M4 bulb and the colour matches better with the HIDs than the stock bulb.
Old 04-13-09, 03:22 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys!!! Since there is so much positive feedback about Polarg bulbs and how well they match stock low beams, I just ordered B1 hybrid superwhite. Will post pictures as soon as I get these in. Gotta remember to set white balance correctly when taking a picture
Old 04-13-09, 10:07 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twister
Thanks guys!!! Since there is so much positive feedback about Polarg bulbs and how well they match stock low beams, I just ordered B1 hybrid superwhite. Will post pictures as soon as I get these in. Gotta remember to set white balance correctly when taking a picture
I'm interested in the Polarg bulbs too since they match the stock HID better but from what I hear it is not as bright. I rather try to match the 194s to the stock HIDs rather than trying to match my low beams with after market HIDs to the bluish hyper white 194 LEDs...

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Guys knock off the smart comments and personal attacks and show some class....
Agreed.. Keep it classy.
Old 04-14-09, 05:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by vietdeluxx
I rather try to match the 194s to the stock HIDs rather than trying to match my low beams with after market HIDs to the bluish hyper white 194 LEDs...

Agreed.. Keep it classy.
The Polarg B1 hybrid superwhite is just a tinted filiment bulb, its not a LED.
Old 04-14-09, 07:58 AM
ImStricken
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Polarg B1 hybrid superwhite is just a tinted filiment bulb, its not a LED.
with that bulb being tinted a baby blue, you will see the headlights when off have a blue tint to it as the bulb color reflects off the mutli-reflector lens.
Old 04-14-09, 08:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Nah, that parking light is up so high on the housing, you have to look really hard to see the blue when its off.
Old 04-14-09, 02:37 PM
G2GS
Pole Position

"Yellow fogs on Lexus GS is classic"
I have to agree.

Old 04-14-09, 02:41 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

siiick car james!! ^^
Old 04-15-09, 03:21 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey Twister,

Thank you for taking the time to post! Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase! I am a fan of 3000k HID fogs as well.

Not sure if you noticed but we carry Putco Premium LED lighting bulbs now. Take a look at this link:

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/LED_Premiu...ries_s/317.htm

Steve
Old 04-17-09, 07:28 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I updated my original post with this picture above (both pictures in original post side by side for comparison). I can't get around to take a good picture in the dark, even while playing with white-balance setting. This is a best I came up for now. I did change stock yellow parking lights (in the corner of DRL housing) to Polarg M4 (B1 hybrid superwhite 194 bulb). So, no more complains about x-mas tree lighting In real life, those parking lights are hardly visible. Just shows up more when taking a picture.
Old 04-21-09, 06:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Looking good twister, now the yellow fog looks better.
Old 04-21-09, 01:05 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Originally Posted by G2GS
"Yellow fogs on Lexus GS is classic"
I have to agree.

wow what kind of grill is that?
Old 04-21-09, 10:19 PM
smilepak
Driver

standard fog lights are H1 bulb? If i am thinking of going HID with it, I get the H1?
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Xtreme_Dig...ts_p/xt-8k.htm
Old 04-21-09, 10:29 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
[update] another picture after I just replaced parking lights with Polarg M4 (B1 hybrid superwhite 194 bulbs). Instructions how to replace it here (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/1894011-post17.html). One thing to keep in mind, those parking lights are hardly visible, doesn't matter if its yellow or white color. Its all about picture taking technique and how everything gets reflected when taking picture in the dark. With yellow parking lights it turned out pretty bad, while changing to blue made an improvement. Again, I'm not a pro at picture taking and played around with white balance. Still not the best picture, but a little bit better.

Below is my original picture with stock yellow parking lights.

Finally got around installing these puppies since I bought them 4 month ago.

I was too excited and forgot to take "before" pictures, but you guys with 3GS already know what it looks like before The kit is from XenonDepot (big props to Steve!!!), 3000k Xtreme Digital HID Converstion Kit [HERE]. This is not cheap in-line ballast off eBay, but rather a high quality advance module with dual relay (requires a separate connection to car battery) and quality bulb 9006/HB4 (made in Japan).

Took over an hour to install because we had to find a good spot for ballast mount and snake power wires to the battery. Passenger side is easier and wires were long enough, while driver side has washer liquid container in the way so we mounted it under the hood and had to extend power wire to reach the battery across. For those who want to do it yourself, I highly recommend to read these links here and here. Just keep in mind that you will need to take more than just 2 screws out unless you brave enough to apply "quite an amount of force" as mentioned in one of those DIY links. We took about 8-9 of these off to make sure everything slides out easily.

Anyway, the picture worth thousand words I just wish I would have before/after pics, but you get the idea
i actually like how the stock parking lights are yellow and a different color from the low beams and fogs more. it's just something about the yellow inners contrasting with the white low beams that i like a lot. the car is very recognizeable like that.
Old 04-22-09, 05:35 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

those yellow parking lights don’t show up in real life like its in the picture. It’s just some artifact of my camera and how light got reflected to make it fill in with yellow color. Look at the "yosi" picture above with the same blue parking lights and how they fill in his picture versus in my picture. Its all about picture taking technique which I have none lol!!! Either yellow or white/blue parking lights, it will be hardly noticeable at night and especially when you are driving. Low beams and fog lights are what you will see. Also, 3000k fog HID is much brighter in real life. Look at the reflection on the ground in my picture (yellow), while in the picture (due to white balance) they look whiter. This is one case where the amateur picture doesn’t do justice to the actual car

Quick Reply: HID fog lights on my 3GS!!!