GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

A Lot of Tire Questions for you Guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 10:33 AM
rozGS430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Lot of Tire Questions for you Guys

I have an 07 GS430 which came stock with the Yokohama Advan A10F non-runflat tires. Size is 245/40R18. They are Y Speed rated tires. I have 27k on my car and on these original tires. I have had the tires rotated every 5k and they all need to be replaced, especially the front right, which is almost completely bald in the middle of the tire. Tires are frickin expensive so I wanted to do some research on this investment I have to make here in the next 7 days or so.

I need to replace the tires like yesterday. My PA inspection was up the end of December and I have not taken it in because I know Lexus will not pass the tires. I called Wilkie Lexus and they quoted me $410 a tire plus $90 total installation for the exact Yokohama replacements. Even the parts guy who quoted me the price was shocked. Tire Rack has the OE Yokohamas for $335 a tire, plus $40 shipping. So a lot cheaper, but should I stick with the same tires?

I have done a lot of reading on this site and a lot of research at tirerack.com.

My questions:

The factory Yokohamas are considered, at least by Tire Rack, to be "summer" tires and are "Ultra High Performance" tires. Should I replace these with other summer tires, or should I go all season. I live outside Philadelphia and we do have 4 seasons here. I read that the summer tires are not even good in temperatures under 40F so forget rain and snow. I do want the car to ride well, handle well, stop well and have a much quieter ride than the current tires provide. Second to that, I would want a tire that can handle some rain and maybe a thin covering of snow. Lastly, I would like a tire that lasts just a little longer than these. I have 27k on them but they probably should have been replaced at like 22k. I know this is a lot to ask of a tire--sort of good at everything may be pushing it. But I am interested to see if anyone really absolutely loves their tires. Suggestions?

Also, I read that I should not drop down in speed rating (ie. From Y down to W.) Tire Rack indicated that it could change the way the car handles. I read that the Y tire will go up to something like 189 MPH. The car won't even go that fast so I was interested in your thoughts.

Lastly, could you guys provide some recommendations on tires, either summer or all season? I don't want to change size. I am fine with the size. I was interested in the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions for summer tires specifically but I hear that the Potenza All Season 960's are good, too.

Also, is there a reason my one tire is a lot more worn than the other three? I have to hold the steering wheel pretty tight to keep it straight but it has been that way since I picked it up. Could it have been out of alignment right from the start? I guess I should have the alignment checked when I get the tires installed.

Sorry this is so friggin long. Thanks, folks!!!
Old 04-10-09, 11:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's very expensive for the tires. i wouldn't get the same tires again, not like they are anything superior. with the inspection, are you allowed to change the rating of the tire? that's one thing to keep in mind

if that's ok, and you don't drive 150mph (that's the limit anyway), nor do you drives very aggressively, i say all season tires might be good option. have you looked at the michelin pilot sport a/s and how much? if price is not bad, i think that's one of the best all season tires. wear is very good, quiet, handles well in dry and rain.
Old 04-10-09, 11:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

$335 / tire?????????????????? Are you serious????? Dude that would be a no brainer imo. Dont buy from them and if you do dont spend 335 dolars on a tire. Its a Lexus family sedan not a 911 GT3 with the Pilot sport cup tires.
Old 04-13-09, 06:51 AM
rozGS430
Rookie

i think my original post was waaay to long.

i guess my real question is if anyone else has put all season tires on their GS430 and if those that have would recommend my doing so.
Old 04-13-09, 07:05 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rozGS430

i guess my real question is if anyone else has put all season tires on their GS430 and if those that have would recommend my doing so.
I put Michelin tire Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my 430. Good tire. Does not like screws though
Old 04-13-09, 10:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i don't think there is anything wrong with that
Old 04-13-09, 10:22 AM
rozGS430
Rookie

I think I have narrowed it down to two tires...one summer and one all season.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position for $252 at Tire Rack. Bridgestone is offering a $100 Visa giftcard so it's really $227 a tire. It's a summer tire and may not last as long, but should handle well. -OR- The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. They're $231 a tire. This tire has been recommended by two people on here and by someone else I know. It's an all season.

Should I expect the same performance out of the tire (handling/ride) as the summer tire, just with less road noise, better weather traction and better wear?

Thanks for the input thus far.
Old 04-13-09, 11:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i had the michelin pilot sport a/s on my 20s for the gs400 (old days). before that i had the yoko advan avs and bridgestone so3 (both summer high performance tires)

to be honest, for normal to slight aggressive driving, the a/s handled very very well (and at the same time quieter)
Old 04-13-09, 11:49 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

as long as you get tires that are better or the same as OE spec your good..
Old 04-13-09, 12:06 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Don't get the same tires. Way too over-priced.

I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

$1,100 mounted.
Old 04-13-09, 03:06 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put the Potenza All Season 960's on both my Lexus's and I love them! Had the Michelins before and they were nice tires but noisy!!! These 960's are quite and handle well....All season also!
Old 04-14-09, 11:44 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the Tire Rack survey the Potenza 960 A/S Pole Position are the # 1 Ultra High Performance all-season tires. I just went ahead and ordered these for $177 per tire from Roadway Tire in Florida (on-line retailer). There's also a $75 gift card promotion from Bridgestone going on now. In my opinion that's an unbeatable deal.
Old 04-14-09, 12:42 PM
rozGS430
Rookie

I think I am convinced that I will go with an all-season tire as opposed to the summer tires (what came on the car.)

A ton of people have recommended the Pilot Sport A/S Plus and some have mentioned the Potenza 960 All-Season. The Potenzas are certainly cheaper on Tire Rack than the Pilots and there is the $75 gift card you mentioned.

I wonder why Lexus doesn't just put all-season tires on these GS430's? Not "sporty" enough?
Old 04-14-09, 02:19 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

I think I am convinced that I will go with an all-season tire as opposed to the summer tires (what came on the car.)

A ton of people have recommended the Pilot Sport A/S Plus and some have mentioned the Potenza 960 All-Season. The Potenzas are certainly cheaper on Tire Rack than the Pilots and there is the $75 gift card you mentioned.

I wonder why Lexus doesn't just put all-season tires on these GS430's? Not "sporty" enough?
Probably because the RWD is usually allocated to regions where winter weather isn't an issue and therefore they fit them with summer tires.

Wouldn't it be great if one day, we can customize our brand new cars with tire options as well?
Old 04-14-09, 02:20 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Check out the Primacy HP's. Much quieter!

Quick Reply: A Lot of Tire Questions for you Guys