GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What Brake Pads should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 11:20 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeDoggy
Apparently they don't make Hawk HPS pads for an 08 GS350. Pity, I was looking forward to trying them.

I don't know much about brakes in general but I heard that ceramic pads could possibly cause increased wear on the rotors. Is there any truth behind this?

I am thinking of Posi-Quiet semi-metallic pads. I'd like the ceramic because of the decreased brake dust but I think the semi-metallic pads perform better than the ceramic pads, right?

And I don't know how you guys can find time to wash the wheels once a week. I'm lucky if I wash mine once a month! (Putting in the hours at work + no driveway + perfect golf season = neglecting my baby )
can't comment on ceramic pads, i have no experience with them.

every saturday or sunday afternoon, i'm washing my car (i don't have a choice, black color car is hard to keep clean!).

try to wash your wheels as often as possible. problem with brake dust is that it will stick to your alloy wheel and will over time become difficult to remove (you see them on the streets - front wheels are brownish, rear wheels are clean). i see wheel cleaning as a way of maintaining the new wheel look.
Old 07-23-09, 09:19 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Hawk makes a really good pad. I use them on my personal vehicles and our shop car right now.

If you are just doing street stuff, go with the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads. They do well on braking, but are designed to stay quiet and dust less.

Feel free to PM us for info and pricing
I am 500 miles into a set of Hawk Performance Ceraminc Pads and I absolutely hate them. The give off more dust than a BMW or MB. Totally unacceptable for the price I paid. I am working with Tirerack to replace with Akebono ProACT ceramics or get a refund and just go back to stock pads.

steviej
Old 07-23-09, 09:26 AM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Akebono ProACT ceramics on my 98 gs300 with brembo rotors. This time my mech told me not to use them with 3GS. Put them on and report how you like them, if it works I'll use them next time around.
Old 07-23-09, 10:07 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by steviej
I am 500 miles into a set of Hawk Performance Ceraminc Pads and I absolutely hate them. The give off more dust than a BMW or MB. Totally unacceptable for the price I paid. I am working with Tirerack to replace with Akebono ProACT ceramics or get a refund and just go back to stock pads.

steviej
really?!?! thx for the heads up. i thought the hawk performance ceramic pads were low dust....
Old 07-23-09, 06:37 PM
MORE4MY 4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the Posi-Quiet I have had them on about a month now and they are the best all around pad and no dust .
Old 07-23-09, 06:47 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormforge
then don't. just clean them once a week like i do!
Cant do it man...got to have them clean.

And I don't know how you guys can find time to wash the wheels once a week. I'm lucky if I wash mine once a month! (Putting in the hours at work + no driveway + perfect golf season = neglecting my baby )
No job is how you clean them 3 times a week. haha
Old 07-26-09, 01:25 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Okay..i'm done dealing with lex on these ridiculous brakes. i'm this close to pulling the trigger this week on some endless ssm's front pads only. i watched a vid on utube last night and can't find it today...showed as GS w/camera hanging outside the drivers side window duplicating the nasty squeal. had way to many toyotas in the family w/no brake issues...my 1st lex...and they suck...along with the lame rattles.
Old 07-26-09, 04:05 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by BKE420
Okay..i'm done dealing with lex on these ridiculous brakes. i'm this close to pulling the trigger this week on some endless ssm's front pads only. i watched a vid on utube last night and can't find it today...showed as GS w/camera hanging outside the drivers side window duplicating the nasty squeal. had way to many toyotas in the family w/no brake issues...my 1st lex...and they suck...along with the lame rattles.
if you pull the trigger, you'll be the first GS in this forum with endless pads! let us know how it works out for you if you get them.
Old 07-26-09, 06:35 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

really?!?! thx for the heads up. i thought the hawk performance ceramic pads were low dust....
I would call them moderate dust. Tirerack rated them as 4 out of 5 dots on the scale for low dust. If they are low dust, then the Toyota/Lex stock pads that were on there would be "no dust" in comparison. Don't get me wrong, stopping power is better than stock and there is very low noise. I just had the black film that builds up. TireRack is sending me Akebono ProAct pads (at half price) which are 5 out of 5 dots for low dust. You are welcome to both sets of my Hawks if you want them (no charge).

steviej
Old 07-26-09, 08:55 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steviej
I would call them moderate dust. Tirerack rated them as 4 out of 5 dots on the scale for low dust. If they are low dust, then the Toyota/Lex stock pads that were on there would be "no dust" in comparison. Don't get me wrong, stopping power is better than stock and there is very low noise. I just had the black film that builds up. TireRack is sending me Akebono ProAct pads (at half price) which are 5 out of 5 dots for low dust. You are welcome to both sets of my Hawks if you want them (no charge).

steviej
Just an FYI: Hawk doesn't make front brake pads for 07+ GS with the upgraded front calipers.
Old 07-27-09, 07:03 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Just an FYI: Hawk doesn't make front brake pads for 07+ GS with the upgraded front calipers.
you are absolutely correct. I gots to start reading sigs before offering up parts.
Old 07-31-09, 02:19 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

if you pull the trigger, you'll be the first GS in this forum with endless pads! let us know how it works out for you if you get them.
springs came in yesterday....brakes hopefully by wednesday.
Old 07-31-09, 03:56 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

springs came in yesterday....brakes hopefully by wednesday.
cool! what springs did you get? and are you planning on using the original anti-squeal brake shims or getting new ones with your Endless pads?
Old 07-31-09, 04:03 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Hey Patrick...i went with the nf's...working with a local shop so i wanted to see if dude could match my price on the f-sport springs(sale price). he said he would do it...so i was cool with the nf's. i ordered the endless ssm's. did not order new shims...should i? really stoked to get the work done....then onto some wheels:-) Hope all is well up north!!! take care bro.
Old 07-31-09, 07:39 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Hey Patrick...i went with the nf's...working with a local shop so i wanted to see if dude could match my price on the f-sport springs(sale price). he said he would do it...so i was cool with the nf's. i ordered the endless ssm's. did not order new shims...should i? really stoked to get the work done....then onto some wheels:-) Hope all is well up north!!! take care bro.
i recall reading somewhere that you should get new shims if you change your brake pads (not sure if this is true or not). i think at this point, just use your old shims. if you get any squeaks, then change the shims to new ones.

if you get a chance to come up to vancouver, give me a holler.

Quick Reply: What Brake Pads should I get?