GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Another Tire Question/Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 12:18 PM
illini19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Tire Question/Issue

First off, I'm rolling in my 2008 GS350awd (in Chicago) - came with the Dunlop SP Sport 5000A DSST Run Flats. Car has 15,000 miles on it. Low Tire pressure light came on the other day (gotta love it not telling you which tire) so I was at the dealer today for a checkup and they showed me there is a small hole in the rear tire close to the sidewall that they cannot patch. Suggested I replace ASAP (they wanted $475.00). I told them to fill it up and I'll take care of it.

My question is, I'm not a big fan of the run flats and after reading a bunch of posts and some good reviews - the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position looks like a good replacement. Is there any issues with having 3 run flats on the car and one rear tire just a regular A/S??

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-25-09, 12:21 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont think thats a good idea.
Old 03-25-09, 12:47 PM
illini19
Rookie

Originally Posted by The G Man
I dont think thats a good idea.
Damn...are you suggesting I have to put the matching Dunlop SP Sport 5000A DSST Run Flat on as a replacement.
Old 03-25-09, 12:50 PM
iron_lungs
Driver

I agree with The "G" Man. My recommendation is purchase four Bridgestone Potenzas from Firestone/Bridgestone. Have them give you the lifetime warranty. If you get a nail or hole in the tire which is not repairable, they'll give you a brand new tire at 90% off the original cost. So your looking to spend no more than $40 for a brand tire.
Old 03-25-09, 01:08 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

At 15000 miles, those runflats has to be more than half gone. Your GS' stability system will not like it if you mix and match old and new tires. Just bite the bullet and get 4 new tires.
Old 03-25-09, 01:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you are really inclined, at least change 2 tires (side by side) at the same time to non-runflats. and change the other two to same brand/model later when worn. definitely not a good idea to change just one tire
Old 03-25-09, 01:16 PM
illini19
Rookie

Originally Posted by The G Man
At 15000 miles, those runflats has to be more than half gone. Your GS' stability system will not like it if you mix and match old and new tires. Just bite the bullet and get 4 new tires.
Thanks G. Thought about that. I'll swing by discount tire on the way home and see what they have in regards to the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position. Do you like that as a four tire replacement?
Old 03-25-09, 04:19 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you have PM.
Old 03-25-09, 05:20 PM
nutria1007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by illini19
Thanks G. Thought about that. I'll swing by discount tire on the way home and see what they have in regards to the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position. Do you like that as a four tire replacement?
I recently changed the tires to regular. good performance and good deal of it (4 tires + life time warranty such as nail, flat + tax = $770)
but after that I am seeing check tire signal with flashing TPMS. it keeps bugging me to see everyday.
I asked them to fix it but they real couldn't do anything. You should ask them to make sure don't have problem as like me.
Old 03-25-09, 06:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by nutria1007
I recently changed the tires to regular. good performance and good deal of it (4 tires + life time warranty such as nail, flat + tax = $770)
but after that I am seeing check tire signal with flashing TPMS. it keeps bugging me to see everyday.
I asked them to fix it but they real couldn't do anything. You should ask them to make sure don't have problem as like me.
that doesn't make sense. changing runflats to normal tires will NOT affect the tpms, they just work the same way. you should not see any lights
Old 03-25-09, 06:51 PM
rkb43
Pole Position

I'd keep all four tires the same, especially on awd.
Either find a used runflat or change all four.
Old 03-25-09, 06:54 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 4 slightly used, 500 miles at most, Run Flat tires for the GS if you are interested. Since you are local they can be picked up. 400$ takes them (all-4) out of my garage if you want them
Old 03-25-09, 07:30 PM
gsownr
Driver School Candidate

illini19 - The exact same thing happened to me here in Chicago. I won't mention the dealer. I had Ashland Tire check it out and they were able to patch the tire from the inside and the car rode fine. Since then, I have replaced the loud, rough riding Dunlop run flats with a set of Toyo Versado LX's. About $810 OTD. Performed great in the snow this past winter and its great to have a smoother, quieter, ride.
Old 03-25-09, 10:36 PM
illini19
Rookie

Originally Posted by gsownr
illini19 - The exact same thing happened to me here in Chicago. I won't mention the dealer. I had Ashland Tire check it out and they were able to patch the tire from the inside and the car rode fine. Since then, I have replaced the loud, rough riding Dunlop run flats with a set of Toyo Versado LX's. About $810 OTD. Performed great in the snow this past winter and its great to have a smoother, quieter, ride.
Good to hear. I went to Discount Tire on the way home and they didn't get a chance to take the rear right off and dunk it and check it but he did say if there was a hole (which I know there is a small small leak as shown to me by the dealer unles they had magic bubble spray) they would not be able to patch it cuz it's a run-flat. He measured the tread on all tires and it averaged out to around 22-24/32's left on. He said I could replace with one new Dunlop and it would still be fine (not gonna happen) or if didn't like the Dunlop's - I could go with 4 A/S's of my choice. (he was trying to sell me on the Pirelli's). So I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow morning and see what they say when they test the tire to find the leak. As I sit here now, I'm just going through all the reviews of tires and reading posts. Just trying to see if there was something that people with the similar car and similar weather ended up liking. Stupid Lexus
Old 03-26-09, 05:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

illini19, if money is an issue, you should look into Continental tires in Tire rack. They are good tires for cheap money. You get always ask your tire dealer to match the tire rack price. I know our local NTW store will match their price plus shipping.

Quick Reply: Another Tire Question/Issue