GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Road Magnet Spring / Made for the AWD GS

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-09, 03:20 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the gs awd have a very slight vibration. i sat in a 2008 gs and it had a vibration at gear but being dropped on awd enhances the vibration.
i am gonna feel better being on awd springs than rwd springs.
Old 02-02-09, 08:15 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350on22s
the gs awd have a very slight vibration. i sat in a 2008 gs and it had a vibration at gear but being dropped on awd enhances the vibration.
i am gonna feel better being on awd springs than rwd springs.
I'm not sure if you understand the concept of how the coil springs operate on a vehicle. Regardless of the RWD or AWD springs for the GS, the spring rates are probably going to be exactly the same. The overall vehicle weight and weight distribution between the AWD and RWD is not that much different. As a matter of fact, I believe the Lexus part number for the coil spring (only) is the same between the AWD and RWD versions of the GS300/350/430/460. The 450h may have a different spring rates due to the added weight of batteries and an electric motor.

The only reason that I see an advantage of using the Road Magnet springs is that they are specifically designed for the "AWD" version. Please correct me if I am wrong but I think that you will achieve the same result as a Tanabe NF210 or equivalent Tein manufactured spring. Also, the only reason the Road Magnet springs specify a lower drop than the Tanabe NF210 is because the AWD sits approx. .50" higher than the RWD versions. I wouldn't be surprised if Road Magnet just reverse engineered the Tanabe NF210? I just don't think a lowering coil spring replacement from Tein/Tanabe to Road Magnet will prevent the vibration.
Old 02-03-09, 02:42 AM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

well its been like 6 months since i had my stock springs on and i did not have any vibrations. what else can it possibly be if not the springs. maybe i have a slight bend on one of the rims on the right side of the car. well like i said before i slid in to a curb hitting both wheels. when i went to lexus i told him i have a vibration and he showed me how both the rims on the right side were wobbling, so i paid for one wheel and my guy said he gave me the other rim under warranty, and i was on stock springs. maybe they looked for a way on saving or something. ill have my rims checked out just incase i am going thru all this because of the wheels.
let me ask, your on awd dropped springs and you have no vibration issues at all on the highway or on brake..
Old 02-03-09, 07:40 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

well its been like 6 months since i had my stock springs on and i did not have any vibrations. what else can it possibly be if not the springs. maybe i have a slight bend on one of the rims on the right side of the car. well like i said before i slid in to a curb hitting both wheels. when i went to lexus i told him i have a vibration and he showed me how both the rims on the right side were wobbling, so i paid for one wheel and my guy said he gave me the other rim under warranty, and i was on stock springs. maybe they looked for a way on saving or something. ill have my rims checked out just incase i am going thru all this because of the wheels.
let me ask, your on awd dropped springs and you have no vibration issues at all on the highway or on brake..
The highway vibration issues I am experiencing are due to my staggered iForged wheels because when I re-install the stock 17" wheels (Dunlop runflats) the car rides like a Caddy (with Tanabe's). Ever since day one of owning my car, I've always experienced the idling vibration (at a stop in drive with the brake applied). The only vibration that I never really analyzed before lowering is the very subtle 0-15/20mph low amplitude vibration. The stock springs will definitely give you a smoother ride than the lowering springs but your vibration levels should be relatively the same.

After you hit the curb are you 100% sure that no suspension/steering components were damaged?
Old 02-03-09, 11:00 AM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

the tech told me that they changed the hub bearing the axel if i am not mistaking and the 2 side wheels. when i accelerate the vibration hits like at 40 - 50 and on the highway accelerating from 70 - 80 on pickup. i feel like the more people i have in the car the quicker the vibration hits due to weight..
i would love to put my stock springs on and take it on the highway but it will be a job and half to put the stocks on try it out and then drop the car again. if i do that it would be the 5th time changing my springs back and forth :/
Old 02-03-09, 12:45 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

the tech told me that they changed the hub bearing the axel if i am not mistaking and the 2 side wheels. when i accelerate the vibration hits like at 40 - 50 and on the highway accelerating from 70 - 80 on pickup. i feel like the more people i have in the car the quicker the vibration hits due to weight..
i would love to put my stock springs on and take it on the highway but it will be a job and half to put the stocks on try it out and then drop the car again. if i do that it would be the 5th time changing my springs back and forth :/
You are experiencing those levels of vibrations (at those speeds) with 17" stock wheels and Tein springs? If so, it's not your Tein springs.
Old 02-03-09, 01:35 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

i will have the axles and the wheel bearings and the tires checked out once again.
Old 02-03-09, 01:48 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stvincent
i can only feel the vibration when my car's standing still on drive or reverse, or slowly taking off. it doesn't matter when i'm on stocks or aftermarket wheels.. i don't feel the vibration at all even when i cruise up to 100mph.
My 3GS on stock springs vibrate anyway... I guess it won't matter if I lower it eh?
Old 02-03-09, 02:26 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

do i have to get a wheel alignment every time i change to my 22s and get another alignment when i put the stocks on ?
Old 02-04-09, 04:28 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone still determined how these springs differ from any other springs out there? As far as I'm concerned, the fact that they are "made for the AWD GS" is just a marketing technique until I see some actual physical design differences.
Old 02-04-09, 06:19 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

do i have to get a wheel alignment every time i change to my 22s and get another alignment when i put the stocks on ?
no you shouldnt. the only time you need an alignment is when you remove critical suspension items such as struts.

Originally Posted by tsavo
Has anyone still determined how these springs differ from any other springs out there? As far as I'm concerned, the fact that they are "made for the AWD GS" is just a marketing technique until I see some actual physical design differences.
to be honest, thats a good question because in reality your still lowering the car and changing the position of the axles.
Old 02-04-09, 10:57 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tsavo
Exactly! What we need to see is the actual spring rates. Like I mentioned earlier, these are probably just reverse engineered Tein or Tanabe NF210 springs.
Old 02-04-09, 10:59 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yang1815
My 3GS on stock springs vibrate anyway... I guess it won't matter if I lower it eh?
This was my experience! The lowering coil springs didn't effect vibration.
Old 02-04-09, 12:00 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

I have Eibach kit for RWD, never had any vibration issues. ever. The car has a slight vibration when the drivetrain is cold..... (same thing in my IS300 from 2000-2007) Once it gets up to temp, no vibes.
Old 02-04-09, 12:58 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
I have Eibach kit for RWD, never had any vibration issues. ever. The car has a slight vibration when the drivetrain is cold..... (same thing in my IS300 from 2000-2007) Once it gets up to temp, no vibes.
You have a staggered 20" wheel setup too? Like I mentioned previously, I think the vibration observations are subjective. I'm going to try an obtain a vibration analysis instrument so we can quantify the level of vibration. I know of another GS300 AWD owner that's lowered on staggered 20's. Once I get the instrument I will measure both of our cars. If there are any other GS300/350 AWD owners in the SF Bay Area let me know?

Quick Reply: Road Magnet Spring / Made for the AWD GS