GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Road Magnet Spring / Made for the AWD GS

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 08:46 AM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just came back from the dealership right now about the brakes and the vibration. the brakes will come in next week and about the vibration i don't know what to do. i believe that if i put my stock springs back on there will be no vibrations but i really don't want to lose that drop or just give it a shot with the awd springs.
Old 01-29-09, 02:07 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

so i spoke to the tech from road magnet and i explained to him that a 1.7 drop is to much because i am on 22s and i need something similar to the h techs. he told me that they are working on the awd spring for a 1" drop in the front and should have it ready and up on the site in 2 weeks
Old 01-29-09, 02:56 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a very good news.....I can not wait to see the result of it......
Old 01-29-09, 03:48 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

i know i was really happy today when he told me that they already started working on it.
Old 01-30-09, 05:24 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350on22s
so i spoke to the tech from road magnet and i explained to him that a 1.7 drop is to much because i am on 22s and i need something similar to the h techs. he told me that they are working on the awd spring for a 1" drop in the front and should have it ready and up on the site in 2 weeks
That’s great news for you.

Did you happen to ask about the vibration issue. Has their tech experienced any with these springs???

I am having a hard time finding a RWD with everything I want in the DC area and if these springs would work and work well it would make my life easier just to buy a AWD.
Old 01-30-09, 08:39 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Chancellor
That’s great news for you.

Did you happen to ask about the vibration issue. Has their tech experienced any with these springs???

I am having a hard time finding a RWD with everything I want in the DC area and if these springs would work and work well it would make my life easier just to buy a AWD.
From my experience, I wouldn't recommend buying the GS AWD if you plan on lowering it.
Old 01-30-09, 09:04 AM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I lowered my 08 GS350 AWD yesterday with DF210 springs at a friends shop. An additional 1" drop over the NF210's. I would have done it myself, but the tension on the front spring was too much for me to want to handle with hand tools and a spring compressor. The whole time, I was worried about a vibration and told them to not go any further once the two fronts were on to check for even the slightest vibration. They checked everything and cut the bottom part of the bump stops.

Job took about 3 hours and drove it after to test for vibration. There is ABSOLUTELY NO VIBRATION at all, even up to 100+ mph. Drove it for 20 minutes and NOTHING. If anything, it rides better than before. My friend who did the work used to be a master tech for Lexus, so he knows his way around the car. He knew about the AFS being off before I mentioned to him

My advice is to just make sure all the springs are seated at the right position on the strut. Tighten the top hat as tight as it will go and take your time to make sure everything is in place as it was before the drop. I did and it paid off.

On another note, a guy with a 335i came in that was dumped on BGW coilvers (don't remember the name) and had a piggyback ecu tune done that added some serious power. He took me for a ride and we came up on a F650. The F650 kept up. (No joke)
Old 01-30-09, 09:40 AM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

he said that he has not heard anything or anyone call complaining about vibrations dropping there awd. this time when i put the springs on i am gonna have the tech at the dealership do it instead of my regular mechanic shop.
another things is that when i put the springs on i never used to have a vibration on the brakes and i believe since the springs settled in it started vibrating more and more, i feel like the vibration changes as the weather changes here. it gets warm to freezing to warm e.t.c in nyc.
Old 01-30-09, 01:08 PM
tungo
Intermediate

Make sure everything is torqued down and you should be good to go. The vibrations can be non existent. If it was fine with my car, don't see why it shouldn't be with others.
Old 01-30-09, 06:30 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

what do u mean by having it torqued down?
Old 01-30-09, 06:37 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350on22s
what do u mean by having it torqued down?
All the bolts have a specific torque that they should be set at with a Torque wrench. I have no idea what they are on the GS.
Old 01-30-09, 07:08 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tungo

Job took about 3 hours and drove it after to test for vibration. There is ABSOLUTELY NO VIBRATION at all, even up to 100+ mph. Drove it for 20 minutes and NOTHING. If anything, it rides better than before. My friend who did the work used to be a master tech for Lexus, so he knows his way around the car. He knew about the AFS being off before I mentioned to him

My advice is to just make sure all the springs are seated at the right position on the strut. Tighten the top hat as tight as it will go and take your time to make sure everything is in place as it was before the drop. I did and it paid off.
hmmm.... this is interesting.. as far as i know, you are the second person with AWD on the tanabe DF210, which is pretty a significant drop, but with no vibration. i had the shop make sure everything was tighten up and seated properly again, but still have the vibration issue..
Old 01-30-09, 07:21 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stvincent
hmmm.... this is interesting.. as far as i know, you are the second person with AWD on the tanabe DF210, which is pretty a significant drop, but with no vibration. i had the shop make sure everything was tighten up and seated properly again, but still have the vibration issue..
Vibrations are subjective! Typically, if it's a wheel/tire vibration, they will go away after 85+mph.
Old 01-30-09, 07:28 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nardeezy
Vibrations are subjective! Typically, if it's a wheel/tire vibration, they will go away after 85+mph.
i can only feel the vibration when my car's standing still on drive or reverse, or slowly taking off. it doesn't matter when i'm on stocks or aftermarket wheels.. i don't feel the vibration at all even when i cruise up to 100mph.
Old 01-30-09, 08:26 PM
tungo
Intermediate

The drop is aggressive and I like it, but the rear sits lower than the front, which kills it for me. I'm really considering getting the road magnet springs and using only the pair for the rear to even it out. I got the boat effect.

I did drive it again tonight and I felt a tiny vibration while I was at a stoplight, but I think this comes with all cars as the engine is idling. Not a result of the springs. It is the same in my sisters IS250 AWD w/ tein s-techs. No big deal.

Quick Reply: Road Magnet Spring / Made for the AWD GS