GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Snow Storm in New England

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 09:36 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Storm in New England

Ok so with all the complaining about the squeeking brakes and dash rattling, I am happy with the GS's performance in the snow. In Boston we got a crap load of snow and it drove just as well as any SUV's ive driven. Im glad about that. Now to take care of the squeeking brakes.......

Anyone else drive their GS in this storm?
Old 12-19-08, 10:37 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I did today, but mine is 2WD with summer tires lol. It was not that bad, then again we only got 2 - 4 inches today.
Old 12-20-08, 09:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The GS is ok in the snow, I have driven much better SUV and sedans in the snow.
Old 12-20-08, 10:09 AM
ejvette
Driver

We just got our 1st snow on long island which is very minor compared to what you folks in New England get but i got to test the AWD out and its as good any AWD sedan ive owned not quite as good as the number of Jeeps I have owned. It does the job. In deep snow these sedans just dont have the ground clearance thats where the Jeep will go through just about anything .
Old 12-20-08, 05:13 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

I would agree the G is pretty good in the snow but wouldn't go as far as saying it's = to SUV. But your point is on mark in that's much better than I would have guessed.
Old 12-20-08, 05:29 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Its about as good as my wife's RX350, but not as good as my old Jeep GC, GX470, Audi A6 quattro or my old Subrau outback.
Old 12-20-08, 06:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
Ok so with all the complaining about the squeeking brakes and dash rattling, I am happy with the GS's performance in the snow. In Boston we got a crap load of snow and it drove just as well as any SUV's ive driven. Im glad about that. Now to take care of the squeeking brakes.......

I moved from Boston to AZ and I have to say I dont miss the snow. Becareful on the roads
Old 12-20-08, 07:40 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I moved from Boston to AZ and I have to say I dont miss the snow. Becareful on the roads
Thanx, but honestly if i moved to AZ from the Bean. I would not be in an AWD GS.
Old 12-21-08, 05:38 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did, I did and it was awesome. The AWD coupled with the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s had me going through crap I never would have attempted with my previous cars and all season radials. I had a blast, the car didn't slip, skid or skip a beat.

oh yeah, no squeaking brakes here. just the usually surface oxidation everyone gets in moist weather which is gone upon first contact of pad to rotor.

steviej
Old 12-21-08, 05:49 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ I have the same tires on a RWD GS430 and I have no problems other then that I bottom out in certain areas for being lowered Went through the drive through of Starbucks today and had 2 Lexus SUV's in front of me and one behind me I was the only lowered RWD lexus and the snow was so high in the middle that I rubbed the whole way through

But these tires are great
Old 12-21-08, 08:11 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was about 3-4 inches on Friday on top of an icy rain the night before. It took me 45 minutes to get through my neighborhood going 4 blocks. I just could not get uphill at all on 4 different streets. I blame it on my summer tires though. Do the tires really make that big of a difference?!

AWD + summer tires vs. RWD + all-season tires, which one is better???

Sorry not to hijack the thread if it appears so.
Old 12-21-08, 08:44 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yang1815
There was about 3-4 inches on Friday on top of an icy rain the night before. It took me 45 minutes to get through my neighborhood going 4 blocks. I just could not get uphill at all on 4 different streets. I blame it on my summer tires though. Do the tires really make that big of a difference?!

I would guess rwd with all season tires might be better, but awd with all season tires/winter tires would be better ........

do you have the dunlop runflats on your gs?
Old 12-22-08, 04:39 AM
ejvette
Driver

Originally Posted by Yang1815

If you have a sheet of ice under the snow i don't think it matters what tires you have there is going to be serious problems with traction.
Old 12-22-08, 05:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ejvette
If you have a sheet of ice under the snow i don't think it matters what tires you have there is going to be serious problems with traction.
Actually, snow tires are much better on ice because of different rubber compound.
Old 12-22-08, 01:27 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would guess rwd with all season tires might be better, but awd with all season tires/winter tires would be better ........

do you have the dunlop runflats on your gs?
Yokohama A10B. I've got the 5 spoke 18"s.

Originally Posted by ejvette
This is the thing though... When I was stuck on a hill, a Ford Windstar drove past me going uphill and the female driver was looking at me like "what's wrong with your car?!" And then when a nice neighbor came to push me out of the snow, first thing he said was "are you telling me that your AWD Lexus is stuck?!"

Quick Reply: Snow Storm in New England