GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

any regrets?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 09:13 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any regrets?????

well im in the market for another 2nd Gen Gs 430, i had a streak of bad luck was push into down grading my car a few years ago. as things are coming along a little bit better i would like to jump into a GS once again. Well, as i did my online search for 2nd Gen Gs's I've notice that some 3rd Gen Gs's are a little bit more if not the same price as the 2Gen. So my question is, have anyone bought a 2nd Gen Gs and later wanted to upgrade to the 3Gen or thought to themselves "maybe i should have waited". Also with the new Camero coming out and the Challenger out and about looking very tempting. I've loved my 2nd Gen Gs 430 (2001) and for the 3 Gen, i can't get into the exterior look of it. To me it reminds me of a Maxima but the interior of it make a brother go . I've never drove let alone been in a 3rd Gen, for the guys who been on both sides of the fence have any input on the 3Gen. Im intrested in the handling, power, and feel of it compared to the 2nd Gen. Thanks for your input
Old 12-15-08, 09:28 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Str8VIP, i've owned (1) 98 GS400 (2) 02 GS430 and now (2) 06 GS430...the 3Gen drive totally different from the 2Gen. I don't know how to explain to you but you should certainly test drive the 3Gen so you would know what im talking about. Only downside to the 3Gen is the rattling noise that everybody is experiencing from the windshied...mine is still at the dealer for that problem.
Old 12-15-08, 09:37 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

yeah i was just thinking about that right before i posted this thread, im pretty sure it drives like a dream with all of it's added technology. like i've mention above only thing got me leaning to the 3gen gs is the look of the interior and the added goodies. whats keeping me back from it is the exterior and the price (there is about a good 5grand difference in price from the 2nd gen to the 3gen but it depends on the dealer) i guess im stuck in my ways because i just remember the good times i had in my 2nd gen gs but just want some input from you new school dudes
thanks
Old 12-15-08, 09:48 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

I got mine ( 2006 GS430 Silver/Black ) for $27K from a small dealer and purchase another one after two week for my sister ( 2006 GS430 White/Grey ) for $28500...both were fully loaded. I traded my 02 GS430 in for the 06 White one. They didn't give me much for the trade in but i didn't really care because that car was bad luck...too many bad history with that car...from theft to all sorts of problems.
Old 12-16-08, 12:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i had 08 gs400 before, and now the 08 gs350. build quality, i have to say the gs400 was more solid. but at the same time, the 2gs is pretty outdated imho. the 3gs is a lot more modern by comparison.

overall i have no regret, for the price i think the gs350 delivered everything we needed for the car. i just deal with the little problems here and there (not like my gs400 was perfect anyway)

get in both cars and see which one you like most, from features to the drive to the space. they are pretty different cars from every perspective
Old 12-16-08, 02:04 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my 3G GS, no regrets whatsover! Im 22 years old and I couldnt feel anymore privileged to drive such a beautiful machine. Driving the GS everyday to me is like falling in love over and over again Sigh................
Old 12-16-08, 05:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The 2nd gen GS was built better than the 3GS, The Lexus bean counters really did a great job on the GS, saving money on a lot of materials. We all know what happens when you go cheap on too many things, one of those things will come back and bite you, in this case, its the dash board clips. Even if you take the dash board clips aside, the 2nd gen GS is still put together better in my opinion, it had a more solid feel to it.
Other than that, the 3GS is just about better in every other area. It handles better, not that the 3GS handles all that well, but the 2GS' handling is so bad that it makes the 3GS seem good. Of course a lot more toys on the 3GS, more power and a more modern interior.
Old 12-16-08, 07:15 AM
raptl1985
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love my 3GS, got the 08 350 awd, and I think there getting better with fixing the rattling problems, had one squeak problem and the dealer took care of it right away. I've driven the 06 and i've driven an 02, i think the power (303hp) and the handling is what led me to the 08. I was in the market for the 06 but ended up with the 08 and am glad I did.

What part of PA are you in? I can recommend a great dealer which has in my opinion great service.
Old 12-16-08, 10:43 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
The 2nd gen GS was built better than the 3GS, The Lexus bean counters really did a great job on the GS, saving money on a lot of materials. We all know what happens when you go cheap on too many things, one of those things will come back and bite you, in this case, its the dash board clips. Even if you take the dash board clips aside, the 2nd gen GS is still put together better in my opinion, it had a more solid feel to it.
Other than that, the 3GS is just about better in every other area. It handles better, not that the 3GS handles all that well, but the 2GS' handling is so bad that it makes the 3GS seem good. Of course a lot more toys on the 3GS, more power and a more modern interior.
I'm not sure I agree with the notion that Lexus went cheap when building the 3GS. I think it was more of a situation where they walked away from many of the simple techniques they used in past models of cars. They took the concept of "sharp edges" and "smooth lines" to a level that undoubtedly created some fit and finish issues. Many of these don't present themselves until the car has about 10k miles on it and things start to space apart and loosen. If you look at the way the past models were assembled, you can clearly see why they did not have the rattles and fitment issues some of the later models have. I think moving away from the “simplified assembly” approach was the cause of most issues people complain about. These are actually present on many models of Lexus’ not just the GS.

I had an LS430 with a few rattle that bugged the heck out of me. My SCs both had rattle as well. I think sometimes we tend to forget about them after the car is gone. My g/fs Armada also has rattles that I can only hear when I am actually wanting to hear them. Same with my father Porsche and friends BMW 530i
Old 12-16-08, 10:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Well IronCobra, I can hear the rattles on my GS loud and clear, doesnt matter if I am trying to listen for them or not. It is so loud, I can hear it over my radio at average volume. And its not a matter of parts getting lose after 10K miles, most rattles starts at about 1000 miles in the colder climate. All these issues should have been fix in the testing stage of the GS. The new plastic clips they use is causing rattles issues in the ES and IS as well.
You are right in saying that they walked away from many of the simple techniques they used in past to make a solid cars. Instead, they choose "form over function". Design a car that looks good, so what if it is not solid. To me, engineering should be the other way around. Design a solid car 1st and then make it look nice.
Old 12-16-08, 11:05 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I got mine ( 2006 GS430 Silver/Black ) for $27K from a small dealer and purchase another one after two week for my sister ( 2006 GS430 White/Grey ) for $28500...both were fully loaded"

Thomastan,all I can say is that you got great deals on your cars. Were the dealers Lexus dealerships?
Old 12-16-08, 11:11 AM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raptl1985
I love my 3GS, got the 08 350 awd, and I think there getting better with fixing the rattling problems, had one squeak problem and the dealer took care of it right away. I've driven the 06 and i've driven an 02, i think the power (303hp) and the handling is what led me to the 08. I was in the market for the 06 but ended up with the 08 and am glad I did.

What part of PA are you in? I can recommend a great dealer which has in my opinion great service.
actually im right out side of philly im not sure if you heard of a place called Bucks Co. im in that area. i just moved here a few years ago from Trenton, New Jersey.

rominl i had 08 gs400 before, and now the 08 gs350. build quality, i have to say the gs400 was more solid. but at the same time, the 2gs is pretty outdated imho. the 3gs is a lot more modern by comparison.

overall i have no regret, for the price i think the gs350 delivered everything we needed for the car. i just deal with the little problems here and there (not like my gs400 was perfect anyway)

get in both cars and see which one you like most, from features to the drive to the space. they are pretty different cars from every perspective

yeah i remember your Gs 400 that car was so bad ***, now thats something i wouldn't trade in for the world. yeah i know the 3rd Gen Gs have so many bells and whistles in it, which is pretty cool but i was also looking at both cars from a modder's aspect. i know they make a great deal of upgrades for the 2nd Gen Gs but do they make as much for the 3rd gen Gs. i know with the 2nd Gen Gs it's easy to upgrade the stereo system even if it have navi. also i think they have a supercharger out for the 2nd gen 430's and also the endless amount of bodykits, spoilers, and lowering kits. i guess if i wasn't into modding the lexus i would go for the 3rd Gen hands down. For one i have to drive both cars to get a feel for them, two i have to base my decision on price because if it's a $5,000-$10,000 difference i dunno, but is it worth the extra $10k?? 3rd and finally im sorry but im a ***** for upgrades, if their available i want them but i guess i will see in the up coming months, hopefully by this spring or summer i would have my decision made. i guess going into a lexus (either second or third gen) is a big upgrade from a 03 honda accord. Maying man 22 driving a Gs is a good feeling right? i know, around that time thats when i got my 2001 Gs 430 especially when one is dressed up to par. lol, plenty of people thought i was a business man but i was a full time nite student and a postal employee to match. maying college and/or hard work must been good to you
Old 12-16-08, 01:05 PM
beachfront
Pole Position

Had a GS 300 from 1998-2006 ..
GS 430 from there on ...

I love the 3rd Gen and like others still think it is a great ride ...
Old 12-17-08, 10:58 AM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by beachfront
Had a GS 300 from 1998-2006 ..
GS 430 from there on ...

I love the 3rd Gen and like others still think it is a great ride ...
is it that much of an upgrade from the 2nd Gen to the 3rd gen???
Old 12-17-08, 11:46 AM
MORE4MY 4
Pole Position

Yes it is i had a 1998 gs 400 and now a 06 430 and i love it trust me go test drive one the keyless is the best , the shad in the back , headlights , navi, everything on the whole .

Quick Reply: any regrets?????