GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

UGH... the winter squeaks...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-08, 01:48 PM
mcukier
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UGH... the winter squeaks...

So I got my beautiful '08 GS350 in May, enjoyed the summer... and now that the cold weather has come my dash is SQUEAKING AND RATTLING like a $10,000 P.O.S.

I just dropped it at the dealership (Lexus of Watertown) and I'm leaving it with them for a week (I'll be out of town for Turkey Day, so...). I'm REALLY hoping that they fix it, because quite frankly it's very annoying to pay that kind of cash for a car and hear those kinds of noises...

Anyways, I guess I just wanted to vent more than anything... and I guess I'm really hoping to hear some success stories from others that had their squeaks successfully cured... :-)

Regards,
Mark
Old 11-21-08, 02:14 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

This is a common problem, especially when the weather gets cold. It is annoying but lots of posters, including me, have had success having it fixed. So, on the plus side, dealers should be very familiar with the problem. There are a variety of causes/fixes that use felt and spacers. Good luck.
Old 11-21-08, 02:17 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

I have had mine in 2 times now and I still have rattles and noises.

Gman can also comment...I know he continues to review these boards.

Make sure that they reassmble the dash like new...sometimes they can screw up the fit and finish...I had them redo the middle vents as they were off set a bit after the dash reinstall.

I am using some heavy duty felt and squeezing it between the dash and window (as far does as possible so I dont see it.) Heled a ton on one side now I need to do the other.

Frustrating I know.
Old 11-21-08, 03:13 PM
rkb43
Pole Position

I had mine fixed last winter. They had the car for a few days but the squeeks and rattles are gone.
Old 11-22-08, 04:47 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

thx.. i thought it was just my car, i have the same squeak & rattle from the dash which i could not pinpoint the location.. pretty annoying when you don't have music on..
Old 11-22-08, 06:23 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

A dealer who is on top of this should be able to nail it. There are several TSBs. I took a small rag and wedged a corner in between the dash and the windshield in different places and drove around to do some trial and errot to help pinpoint the area the rattles were coming from before i took it in. Then i drove the service tech around so we agreed on what we were hearing. They fixed it the first time out.
Old 11-22-08, 06:31 PM
bigalexus
Rookie

Nice to hear peoples have had success with dealers fixing this problem....i also recently started hearing rattles and squeeks from the windshield/center dashboard. Anyone have exact TSIB for this problem or do i just tell the dealer my car is making noises and they should fix it
Old 11-22-08, 08:29 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

Mines back too. Soon as it gets cold. This car sucks =(
Old 11-23-08, 04:57 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bigalexus
Nice to hear peoples have had success with dealers fixing this problem....i also recently started hearing rattles and squeeks from the windshield/center dashboard. Anyone have exact TSIB for this problem or do i just tell the dealer my car is making noises and they should fix it
I'm fairly sure there is a specific TSB for that but I don't know what it is. If you try the search you may find it with some sifting. I recall there being a discussion about that a while back. I believe it had to so with some spacer or clip and the windshield. Your dealer can also research it if they will put in the effort. It may seem over the top, but i took the tech on a drive to explain exactly what i was hearing. It was obvious i thought, but seemed worthwhile to be sure since i didn't want them to have to pull the dash a 2nd time. And I left my car sit outside the night before so it was good and cold when I took it over there. That is when it's most obvious.
Old 11-23-08, 12:51 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH LORD....i just about to open a new thread about this ANNOYING NOISE...just bought the car this week and drive it home and heard the noise. I have a problem tho..the car has 52K miles...i don't think they will warranty my noise. WHAT TO DO NOW ???
Old 11-23-08, 01:50 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

I don't know but I am so dissapointed in this car. The car itself drives fine, but this dash rattling and breaks squealing (two issues I would think could be easily fixed but apparently aren't) are driving me insane.
Old 11-23-08, 02:03 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

thomastan...go to a craft store...like Michael's. Buy both a moderately and very heavy (the heaviest if possible) black felt.

Cut up strips and roll them up. Wedge them between the window and plastic cowl starting at each speaker. Wedge 2 more 1-1.5 ft in from each (towards the middle). Use a small screwdriver to push them in so they are not visible to you.

The trick is to make them thick enough to wedge tightly between the glass and cowl. Use the different weight felts to help you get it right.

Took me about 10 min each side...this has really minimized...nearly eliminated the dash noise. I live in Minnesota where it is getting chilly...and the noise was gettin' to me. Took it in 2 times already but didnt want them screwing with my dash again...this is an acceptable alternative for me.

Actually, I'd rather them fix the dash as this seems to be a problem that has plagued this car for several years...hope they do fix this design....they need to remember that people buy their product due to quality and reliability...it is what makes them different than the (near bankrupt) Big 3.

Good luck.

Last edited by MelYW; 11-23-08 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-23-08, 02:16 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MelYW
thomastan...go to a craft store...like Michael's. Buy both a moderately and very heavy (the heaviest if possible) black felt.

Cut up strips and roll them up. Wedge them between the window and plastic cowl starting at each speaker. Wedge 2 more 1-1.5 ft in from each (towards the middle). Use a small screwdriver to push them in so they are not visible to you.

The trick is to make them thick enough to wedge tightly between the glass and cowl. Use the different weight felts to help you get it right.

Took me about 10 min each side...this has really minimized...nearly eliminated the dash noise. I live in Minnesota where it is getting chilly...and the noise was gettin' to me. Took it in 2 times already but didnt want them screwing with my dash again...this is an acceptable alternative for me.

Actually, I'd rather them fix the dash as this seems to be a problem that has plagued this car for several years...hope they do fix this design....they need to remember that people buy their product due to quality and reliability...it is what makes them different than the (near bankrupt) Big 3.

Good luck.
Thanx...will do it right now !!!
Old 11-23-08, 03:02 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

What I do is I turn the heat on and then press the "Front" button. This does not get rid of all the squeaks for me, but does help and reduce the noise.
Old 11-23-08, 03:26 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Just finish putting some black felts in the front dash and rear window. Noise went away. Bought some black felts at Michael's for .29 cents a piece. Bought 7 pieces...put 5 pieces between front windshield and dashboard and two pieces in each corner of rear windshield...test drive...NOISE WENT AWAY !!!

Quick Reply: UGH... the winter squeaks...