GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Might have screwed up my Cabin Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-08, 09:11 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might have screwed up my Cabin Filter Replacement

I did some searching on this forum on how to replace the cabin Filter and came across these directions.

Unfortunately these directions did not tell you to turn off the re-circulate air, so when I got to the compartment that holds the cabin filter it was closed. I opened it because I could see the filter behind it. I heard a snap that did not sound normal. When I checked the owners manual, I found the step that told you to turn off the re-circulate first. - Maybe this lifts the door out of the way??? - I don't know.

I put it back together and the door over the cabin filter is not really secured to the bottom of the filter compartment, you can roll it up out of the way easily. I'm not sure, if this is how it is supposed to be or not. Anyone know.
Old 10-26-08, 09:47 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope you're not talking about the same problem this guys is having. It seems like Lexus has a bulletin to warn dealers that owners are breaking these things, and it voids the warranty. I hope you're talking about something else though. Good luck.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=51988
Old 10-26-08, 09:55 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
I hope you're not talking about the same problem this guys is having. It seems like Lexus has a bulletin to warn dealers that owners are breaking these things, and it voids the warranty. I hope you're talking about something else though. Good luck.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=51988
Yeah, it kinda sounds like my problem. Because I took the Glove Compartment Cover off and pushed the circulate and re-circulate buttons and the door over the fliter stays closed. The thread seemed to indicate that it should move.

Looks like I broke it!
Old 10-26-08, 11:12 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I was gonna change mine but decided against it. You never know when you might screw up something, I'd rather have the dealer do it.
Old 10-26-08, 11:39 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the club, Cut-Throat I had a similar thing happened to me last year (read it here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=327054). I actually had chipmunk stuff it with acorns. Beside what I found inside of filter itself, dealer pulled out handfuls from inside of the assembly. I'm sure I had the setting correctly at first but when it didn't open up (jammed with acorns) I might off switched it back'n'forth and ended up with a wrong setting.

Now armed with a lifetime lesson, yesterday I checked it 3 times before actually changing my ac cabin filter. The whole procedure takes 5 minutes. Also changed my engine air filter. Took me 15 minutes just to figure out where the hell it’s located. I'm noob when it comes to stuff under the hood. Once I found that (look at the link in my signature), it took literally 5 minutes to replace it with a new K&N filter. The old factory filter had a ton of bugs and other crap in it... Oh, and when I lifted that silver plastic engine cover in the middle, I found something that looked like a nest of another rodent. What the hell?!? That’s what happens when you have to park your car outside
Old 10-26-08, 11:49 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
Welcome to the club, Cut-Throat I had a similar thing happened to me last year (read it here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=327054). I actually had chipmunk stuff it with acorns. Beside what I found inside of filter itself, dealer pulled out handfuls from inside of the assembly. I'm sure I had the setting correctly at first but when it didn't open up (jammed with acorns) I might off switched it back'n'forth and ended up with a wrong setting.

Now armed with a lifetime lesson, yesterday I checked it 3 times before actually changing my ac cabin filter. The whole procedure takes 5 minutes. Also changed my engine air filter. Took me 15 minutes just to figure out where the hell it’s located. I'm noob when it comes to stuff under the hood. Once I found that (look at the link in my signature), it took literally 5 minutes to replace it with a new K&N filter. The old factory filter had a ton of bugs and other crap in it... Oh, and when I lifted that silver plastic engine cover in the middle, I found something that looked like a nest of another rodent. What the hell?!? That’s what happens when you have to park your car outside
Just read your entire thread - Yikes ! $1400 to fix it! - If they have to take off the dash to fix it, I'm not sure I even would want them to fix it for free - My dash rattles could come back. Also I always run outside air into my car anyway, I never even use the other mode anyway. We have clean air here in Minnesota

How much did it end up costing you for the fix?
Old 10-26-08, 11:58 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

It was just a cost of insurance deductible, $500. I think I even put it on Lexus VISA to get points back lol! I still second guessing myself and think I should have brought it straight to dealership when I saw acorns in there. Anyway. I had to replace it because of a lot of highway commute. No fresh air in here
Old 10-27-08, 12:08 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ice350
I was gonna change mine but decided against it. You never know when you might screw up something, I'd rather have the dealer do it.
I went to the dealer today to get the cabin filter changed and they wanted $89.99 for it. My jaw dropped. I've always splurged for the maintenance on my cars but I thought that was ridiculous. It was $40 when I got the one changed in my wife's car in Jan. I told them never mind. I went to the local Bennet Auto SUpply bought one for $22 and installed it myself. Took about 10 minutes.
Old 10-27-08, 01:32 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Just to clarify this for all of us DIY people.....the re-circulate button needs to be ON?...does it matter if the re-ciruclate and "Auto" light are both on, or just cycle through until only the re-circ light is on?
Old 10-27-08, 01:59 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Oh man terrible news! My dealership kept pushing the 15k service but I stuck with oil changes every 5k only until I caved in for the 30k service. I think it was $300-$400 for basically what amounts to an oil change, vehicle check, and cabin air filter replacement. At the time I thought, WTH that's a lot of money for a cabin air filter.... now I'm thinking I made the right choice. Ouch! Hope it works out somehow.
Old 10-27-08, 02:56 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Oh man terrible news! My dealership kept pushing the 15k service but I stuck with oil changes every 5k only until I caved in for the 30k service. I think it was $300-$400 for basically what amounts to an oil change, vehicle check, and cabin air filter replacement. At the time I thought, WTH that's a lot of money for a cabin air filter.... now I'm thinking I made the right choice. Ouch! Hope it works out somehow.
You must not have sen my post.
I changed mine today and it only cost $22.
I don't know why the other dude had a problem, it was very easy. I saved a chunk.
Old 10-27-08, 04:23 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Its easy if re-circulate button is off. Otherwise, you get a little resistance and it snaps easily. BTW, you can have saved a bigger chunk ordering from Sewell online for $18, genuine Toyota/Lexus cabin air filter.

For my 30k service, I paid only $159 (oil change and brake fluid flush). Tire rotation courtesy of Bridgestone store; cabin and engine air filters bought online from Sewell.
Old 10-27-08, 04:43 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ice350
You must not have sen my post.
I changed mine today and it only cost $22.
I don't know why the other dude had a problem, it was very easy. I saved a chunk.
The 'Other dude' was me and I had a problem because I followed the directions in the picture that did not tell you to turn the Re-circulate to interior.
Old 10-28-08, 04:46 PM
mfaile
Driver School Candidate

Default Did it too.

I didn't read the manual and popped mine also. It broke the plastic vent piece and had to be replaced. I was lucky enough to find a replacement air box and door on ebay. Was a pain in hte **** to replace though. Expensive lesson learned - if it doesn't move easily - DON'T FORCE IT!
Old 10-28-08, 05:01 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Just to clarify this for all of us DIY people.....the re-circulate button needs to be ON?...does it matter if the re-ciruclate and "Auto" light are both on, or just cycle through until only the re-circ light is on?
what he said.

Quick Reply: Might have screwed up my Cabin Filter Replacement