GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How to Open Trunk When Car is already Unlocked?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 08:08 AM
omniskye
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Open Trunk When Car is already Unlocked?

hey guys, i'm wondering if there is a way to open the trunk on the GS WITHOUT HAVING TO HAVE THE KEYFOB WITHIN RANGE.

here's the example: i hit unlock on the keyfob from a distance to unlock all doors........ my wife could open any of the doors perfectly fine, but can NOT open the trunk. the only way then to open the trunk is if i am close to the trunk where it can detect the key (for keyless entry).

now i realize that i can open the trunk by holding on to the unlock button on the key, or by going to the driver side to unlock.....but i would think that just by hitting the unlock button on the keyfob, and if it's programed to unlock all doors...the trunk should also unlock.

i know this works perfectly fine for our RX350, but it doesn't work for the GS? is anybody else noticing this? if so, is there a way to program it? mine is currently programed to unlock ALL doors when the unlock button is hit or if one of the door handles is touched via keyless entry. for some reason, the trunk does NOT unlock though......
Old 09-26-08, 08:26 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is nothing in the programming that will allow this, there is a trunk button specifically for this, just use it, not that hard....
Old 09-26-08, 09:02 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Typically SUVs/wagons have that function, I haven't had a 4 door that unlocks the trunk when the doors are unlocked.
Old 09-26-08, 09:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Isnt there a trunk open button on the key fob?
Old 09-26-08, 10:45 AM
weilunc5
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh yeah, I got yelled at quite a few times when my wife tried to get stuff from the trunk. Mostly it happens when we are home and the GS is in the garage, which means you don't have the key fob with you. why the trunk won't open when all doors are unlocked is so beyond her because her prius doesn't do that to her.
it's one of those little issues with GS we have to get used to, but let me put it this way---it'll be nice if Lexus could correct this problem.
Old 09-26-08, 11:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have been wondering either. but since it's also the case on IS and LS at least, i dont' think it's a GS problem. but like people say, the RX is ok. wonder what's the rationale behind this as well
Old 09-26-08, 11:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Does any sedan unlock the truck when the doors are unlock?
Old 09-26-08, 11:27 AM
omniskye
Rookie

yeah, it's not a HUGE issue....but more of a "nice to have" and i was wondering if it was programmable.

works fine on my RX when i click to unlock all doors, so i thought the GS would work similarly. perhaps they assume the RX is an SUV, and some people buy SUVs for a larger trunk and larger cargo room, so it must be used more frequently so they make the trunk more assessable???

anyhow, just wondering if i was alone on this issue and was missing some optional programming.
Old 09-26-08, 11:31 AM
omniskye
Rookie

Originally Posted by The G Man
hahahha. great thought.

the difference though is that most sedans would just pop up from a latch. the trunk is either opened or closed.

the GS has more of a "push button" that activates the latch for release when you try to open it - would think the unlock button on keyfob would "turn this switch on".....similar to to an RX.
Old 09-26-08, 11:53 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ The trunk release button on the dash will always work . . .
Old 09-26-08, 12:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
not 100%, but i believe my cousin's e46, if doors are unlock, he can open up the trunk without the key
Old 09-26-08, 12:44 PM
omniskye
Rookie

Originally Posted by socalJD
^ The trunk release button on the dash will always work . . .
what fun is that?

i just found this hindering a little bit when we walk back to the car holding my toddler with my both hands full and the wife is looking to load groceries into trunk.

with the keyless entry and my hands full........i put my hand to the door handle in the backseat and it unlocks all doors but my wife still can't access the trunk to load the groceries. again, not a huge deal, but it's nonetheless a small inconvenience and i would make the change if this was programmable.
Old 09-26-08, 01:37 PM
weilunc5
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, pretty sure Prius allows trunk lock to be programmable to door lock/unlock. My '02 BMW 330's trunk also locks/unlocks with central lock.
as long as trunk release is controlled electronically...
Old 09-26-08, 01:41 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I have this problem too and although sometimes I am annoyed by it, there really is nothing to do than to just run and get the key so you can open the trunk.

The GS is a very nice car with lots of features so I'm willing to overlook the trunk issue.
Old 09-26-08, 08:05 PM
tommyd3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am able to open the trunk even when my key fob is inside the house by opening the driver's door and pressing the button on the dash next to the door.

Sounds like you should just pop the trunk with the button on the dash before getting out of the car after parking it. That is what I do when my wife wants to get stuff out of the trunk when we return home.

Quick Reply: How to Open Trunk When Car is already Unlocked?