GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3M Clearbra or AeroTect

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-08, 11:59 AM
lossimo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two years with ventureshield and no issues with yellowing.
Old 09-12-08, 12:02 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
Joeb - haha Henry (rominl) is a perfectionist and also a detailer on the side, I guarantee you he is using all the right products

I know AZ has intense heat, my car is in my garage or indoor parking 95% of the time, I rarely leave it out in the sun for more than 2 hours

It has no reason to yellow after 9 months, I will probably go back and request 3M this time
I see.
I just find it odd you guys are having trouble with Ventureshield.
Are you sure you have the newer clearcoated version of Ventureshield film and the installer used Ventureshield?
Guys on the corvetteforum love Ventureshield.
If you research the net,you'll find more yellowing issues with 3M.
My installer installs both and recommended the Venture because of the 3M yellowing.
Oh well..I can only go by my buddy Koz and other friend who both haven't had any problems with Ventureshield.
I hope that's the case for me.Fortunately,my GS is garaged and only used for pleasure driving which should help.
Old 09-12-08, 12:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Sounds like you're using an abrasive products or wiping with a non 100% cotton towel.
Are you using a cleaner/wax on it?
All in one cleaner waxes are abrasive and would cause tiny scratches that would dull the film.
Rominl is AR about his cars. Especially these last 2 black ones he has. Trust me, i've known him for years. He knows a thing or two about detailing, he's no newbie here.
Old 09-12-08, 12:07 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Rominl is AR about his cars. Especially these last 2 black ones he has. Trust me, i've known him for years. He knows a thing or two about detailing, he's no newbie here.
I see but that's the first time I've heard of dulling unless abrasives products or non 100% cotton towels were used for drying.
Yet,that's not the case with his issue.
Old 09-12-08, 12:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

heheh yeah, i am a detailer myself, so i hope i am at least trying to treat it right

i don't wax or polish the clear bra, i know it's not good for them. so i have no idea. after they got dull i haven't really give a crap about them anymore. maybe i will talk to francisco and see what's up

i wonder if it has to do with fact that my car is outside 1/3 of the time (8 hrs) every day. but somehow my previous gs400, it had 3m clear bra, and yes it did have orange peel but at least it didn't get dull.

i am still confused...
Old 09-12-08, 12:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I see.
I just find it odd you guys are having trouble with Ventureshield.
Are you sure you have the newer clearcoated version of Ventureshield film and the installer used Ventureshield?
Guys on the corvetteforum love Ventureshield.
If you research the net,you'll find more yellowing issues with 3M.
My installer installs both and recommended the Venture because of the 3M yellowing.
Oh well..I can only go by my buddy Koz and other friend who both haven't had any problems with Ventureshield.
I hope that's the case for me.Fortunately,my GS is garaged and only used for pleasure driving which should help.
We live in a pretty harsh environment here in CA and in the desert southwest. Here in the LA area, we're always driving in smoggy conditions.

We love Venture here too as Francisco our installer (owner of AeroTect) is a Venture Tape distributor and 3 Star certified installer here on the West. As a matter of fact, he is the first to install the clearcoated Venture.

My 07 Starfire GS is garaged and usually only sees daylight on the weekends as I have a company car to drive around.

Aerotect
Distributing throughout California
1935 McKinley ave
Suite F
Laverne, California ,91750

Phone: 909-596-0053
Email: info@aerotect.net
Old 09-12-08, 12:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i actually only use microfiber cloths on teh car. but of course, after they got dull, i really didn't give a damn anymore

and i have to be honest, due to the frustration on the clear bra dullness, i have abandoned my car a little bit more swirls and scratches, so busy i havent' detailed my own car for a while not to mention i got hit and run on my rear bumper 2 weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )(*#*(#)*(&^

so yeah, the car is a bit crappy now but back to clear bra, i am still so confused... maybe i will call francisco and see what he thinks. it doesn't look pretty when the whole hood is dull (full hood coverage)
Old 09-12-08, 12:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

heheheh ryan, i actually think if CA environment is an issue, maybe i need a damn car cover every day
Old 09-12-08, 12:13 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
heheh yeah, i am a detailer myself, so i hope i am at least trying to treat it right

i don't wax or polish the clear bra, i know it's not good for them. so i have no idea. after they got dull i haven't really give a crap about them anymore. maybe i will talk to francisco and see what's up

i wonder if it has to do with fact that my car is outside 1/3 of the time (8 hrs) every day. but somehow my previous gs400, it had 3m clear bra, and yes it did have orange peel but at least it didn't get dull.

i am still confused...
Romini,not to step on your toes because you do know detailing but the bra should be protected with a sealant.
Not only is a protectant good for a bra,it's recommended.
Preferably a colorless polymer sealant with possible UV protection.
Carnauba wax works too as long as it doesn't have any color because the wax color will stain the film over time..
BTW,I'm a detail freak also and have been for many years.No all in one waxes for me.

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-12-08 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-12-08, 12:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i don't wax the clear bra coz' i am not sure of any reaction, but i did seal the clear bra coz' i don't really trust the clear coat on them. i use kalsse AIO and after i applied it it did look very good and i feel the difference (more protection). so maybe AIO is enemy with venture? but the dullness didn't happen until quite a while after application

i use P21 carnauba wax too, colorless, but i didn't put it on the clear bra in case it has any reaction.

and no problem, i am not offended. i am more concerned about why the films got so dull.
Old 09-12-08, 12:32 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

i don't wax the clear bra coz' i am not sure of any reaction, but i did seal the clear bra coz' i don't really trust the clear coat on them. i use kalsse AIO and after i applied it it did look very good and i feel the difference (more protection). so maybe AIO is enemy with venture? but the dullness didn't happen until quite a while after application

i use P21 carnauba wax too, colorless, but i didn't put it on the clear bra in case it has any reaction.

and no problem, i am not offended. i am more concerned about why the films got so dull.
AIO's have cleaning abrasives and I'd bet that may be the problem.The film is more delicate than paint.Film cleaning directions say not to use anything that abrasive.
P21 is great stiuff and shoudn't cause any problems.S100 usually available at motorcycle shops is the same formula at half the price.
I use Zaino Z2 and Z8 spray sealer in between the Z2 applications.
Plexus is usually recommended but it doesn't last.
Believe me,a non abrasive color free product will not harm the film.
Zaino is a light pink but I don't that's a problem.
Old 09-12-08, 12:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

heheheh ryan, i actually think if CA environment is an issue, maybe i need a damn car cover every day
Haha I had one for my IS300 for a reason! I don't have one for the GS since it's garaged most of the time. Maybe it would still be smart to get one for myself. We'll see. Lexus OEM car cover FTW! Fits over body kits too.
Old 09-12-08, 01:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

umm....... could AIO be the problem, umm............
Old 09-12-08, 01:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wait wait..... i stand corrected. the one i use is not the AIO, coz' like you said it has abrasive in it. i used the pure sealant itself (the gray bottle) so it only has sealant and not the polish part. umm........ @_@
Old 09-12-08, 01:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

wait wait..... i stand corrected. the one i use is not the AIO, coz' like you said it has abrasive in it. i used the pure sealant itself (the gray bottle) so it only has sealant and not the polish part. umm........ @_@

Only one application?
How long has it been?Maybe the film was unprotected for too long.
I don't know but the dulling thing isn't a big problem when researching car bra issues.

Quick Reply: 3M Clearbra or AeroTect