GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 vs. Hyundai Genesis ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 04:01 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GS350 vs. Hyundai Genesis ???

Got some excellent feedback from everyone on the GS350AWD vs. the 2009 TL SH-AWD and that was one question that I really wanted opinions on because I was really undecided.

Now I pose the question, the GS350 vs. Genesis 6 or the GS460 vs. the Genesis 8. The GS is what Hyundai was gunning for (or was it the LS?), so are GS buyers really going to cross shop the Genesis and really consider it, or just test drive to see it?

For me, I will probably go and take a look once it's out, but I'm not so sure if I'll be so impressed that I would say "yeah, I'm getting this Hyundai..." Magazines have almost dismissed it's chances with BMW and MB owners, but they feel that it might have a chance up against Lexus. Just wanted your thoughts...
Old 07-23-08, 04:36 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hyundai tried with the luxury based Azera and bombed.
The 368 HP Genesis will help but I don't think enough to make a splash to put a hurt on the more expensive luxury car badges.
It's a Hyundai with a $40K sticker made by a company who's cars have a big depreciation problem.
The Genesis will have the same depreciation problem.
Some reviews are good and some aren't.
Old 07-23-08, 05:22 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Genesis hasnt even come out yet but we're already comparing it to the GS? I think the Genesis will be a good solid car that hyundai releases but I think its way too early to compare it to the GS right now. To each his own I guess but lets not bash on Hyundai for trying. Hyundai has come a very long way and their cars are much more reliable and worth buying now than 10 years ago. Hyundai will make a splash with their new Genesis coupe and sedan but I doubt the splash will be big enough to take sales away from the GS? Just my two cents but seriously Id consider buying the Genesis over the new Acuras.
Old 07-23-08, 06:22 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Hyundai tried with the luxury based Azera and bombed.
The 368 HP Genesis will help but I don't think enough to make a splash to put a hurt on the more expensive luxury car badges.
It's a Hyundai with a $40K sticker made by a company who's cars have a big depreciation problem.
The Genesis will have the same depreciation problem.
To be fair, GS is not much of a depreciation champion either. It stacks up very poorly against the likes of BMW 3 or 5 series, or even Infiniti M or G. If Hyundai is nearly as good as the GS for $10K less, depreciation will not be a factor at all.
Old 07-23-08, 08:11 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Modeler
To be fair, GS is not much of a depreciation champion either. It stacks up very poorly against the likes of BMW 3 or 5 series, or even Infiniti M or G. If Hyundai is nearly as good as the GS for $10K less, depreciation will not be a factor at all.
Agreed, the GS is one of the slowest seller for Lexus too!
Old 07-23-08, 08:42 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

You are not comparing apples to apples from a price standpoint for starters. I saw the Genesis in person at the Dana Point boat show about six weeks ago and the exterior styling was a disappointment to me. The interior looked nice from outside the glass, but the outside was just a yawn. Still, it looks like good bang for the buck.
Old 07-23-08, 09:17 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
The Genesis hasnt even come out yet but we're already comparing it to the GS? I think the Genesis will be a good solid car that hyundai releases but I think its way too early to compare it to the GS right now. To each his own I guess but lets not bash on Hyundai for trying. Hyundai has come a very long way and their cars are much more reliable and worth buying now than 10 years ago. Hyundai will make a splash with their new Genesis coupe and sedan but I doubt the splash will be big enough to take sales away from the GS? Just my two cents but seriously Id consider buying the Genesis over the new Acuras.
it's already out, i saw one today v6 model, $36k
Old 07-23-08, 10:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The GS is in the third generation. The genesis is still in its genesis. Evolution usually wins in the auto world.
Old 07-23-08, 10:32 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
I don't see Infiniti M selling in the same price range as the GS in my area. As a matter of fact I saw a 2007 Infiniti M35 w/11,000 mi. for $34,500 and a 2007 Lexus GS 350 with 18,700 mi. for $39,900 and they were both CPO and equiped the same.
Old 07-23-08, 10:38 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

I think people who buy the ES350 will look more at the Genesis than people who buy the GS!
Old 07-23-08, 10:58 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree with Val....it is important to note that the Azera bombed partly because it is FUGLY.....just like the xg350 it replaced....Sonata which is very conservative in its appearance sells well. I suspect the Genesis will do well because it has no offensive features unlike the previous tries at the upper end market.
Old 07-24-08, 01:09 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whlkev
it's already out, i saw one today v6 model, $36k
uhhh ok? and
Old 07-24-08, 03:24 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thought is that I would never buy it over a GS, but that the GS also has
shortcomings that make it a weak competitor in its class. It is not
particularly roomy, does not handle all that great and does not look
great stock.
Old 07-24-08, 05:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Hyundai will have a very hard time selling a 40K+ luxury sedan. Buyers just dont associate the Hyundai name with luxury. Others, such as Toyota, Honda and Nissan, have set the path for them, but so far, they have not learned. Hyundai need to start a luxury division and built their luxury cars in a different factory with higher standards. They also need a different type of dealership to deal with the higher end customers. Even if they do all that, they are entering into a market segment that is highly competitive, it will take years before buyers of that car segment will take them seriously.
Old 07-24-08, 05:30 AM
LexFather

Sorry but the Azera should not be brought up (and I don't think its ugly, the proportions are not bad, especially from the rear). The Genesis is FOR REAL and though it lacks the badge, is on par with the GS and superior in a couple aspects.
-V8 is all new, what 375hp
-RWD platform is all new
-6 speed auto is all new

It has the essentials. V-8 models have a leather wrapped dash. I've seen it in person, its good looking but slightly bland with a nice looking interior.

Hyundai has thrown the entire market for a loop, this is competition from the IS/ES to the LS, Germans and Caddy and others included.

We have had a lot of conversation about it, search Genesis in Car CHat.

Quick Reply: GS350 vs. Hyundai Genesis ???