GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 vs. Hyundai Genesis ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 06:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Hyundai will have a very hard time selling a 40K+ luxury sedan. Buyers just dont associate the Hyundai name with luxury. Others, such as Toyota, Honda and Nissan, have set the path for them, but so far, they have not learned. Hyundai need to start a luxury division and built their luxury cars in a different factory with higher standards. They also need a different type of dealership to deal with the higher end customers. Even if they do all that, they are entering into a market segment that is highly competitive, it will take years before buyers of that car segment will take them seriously.
Ding,ding,ding....
We have a winner!

I'm predicting $5K rebates next April-May on the Genesis and even that may not put many on the road..
Old 07-24-08, 08:21 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ The fully loaded V8 i hear are supposed to be sold in limited numbers, They are testing the waters with this new Genesis. I was told that they tried to put less Hyundai badges on the car. I havent seen the car in person yet but looking foward to seeing one. I heard this from a close family friend who is pretty high up in Hyundai Group in SK.
Old 07-24-08, 08:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I8GEz6ioGTI
Genesis performance
Old 07-24-08, 08:34 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

That translation sucks....Im fluent in korean
Old 07-24-08, 08:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
That translation sucks....Im fluent in korean

Is it Korean?
Tough reading the white subtitles at times too.

Bottom line is this reviewer wasn't pleased with it's handling at all.
Old 07-24-08, 08:47 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah he def. wasnt happy with the car, but he was driving the V6 model. It wasnt the fully loaded V8 right?
Old 07-24-08, 08:57 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Hyundai is doing as good if not better than Toyota did 20+ years ago.
Old 07-24-08, 09:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah he def. wasnt happy with the car, but he was driving the V6 model. It wasnt the fully loaded V8 right?
From an article on the v8....

"but when it comes to sweeps in the road and off-camber corners, the multi-link front and rear suspension can't quite keep up. The chassis is slow to respond to driver inputs and there's too much travel on rebound. Overall, it falls in somewhere between a non-sport package Mercedes and a Lexus GS."

"The Hyundai's 333 lb-ft build more slowly, peaking at 4500 rpm. Hampered further by a mild throttle tip-in and a six-speed transmission that's always looking to jump into the highest gear possible,"

"If we're being too hard on the Genesis, it is only because of the bar that's been set for it by the company itself and by the readers in forum communities. Take away the claims, the benchmarks, and the hype, and it's a truly impressive car for the money. Pit it against the cars in its price range, which will include the Chrysler 300C, the Pontiac G8, and the Nissan Maxima, and it's hard to be unimpressed by its space, power, and features. The G8 might be the most athletic of that set, but the Genesis counters with more refinement and a long list of toys the Pontiac doesn't offer.

"The Genesis is a brand-new concept for Hyundai in this country, and pitting it against the veteran Mercedes shows that, for all the significance of Hyundai's ambitions, the new kid in town still has a few lessons to learn. Our suggestion to Hyundai: keep the V-6 Genesis the way it is for the masses. That car's plenty fast (more on that next week) and incredibly comfortable. Maybe add more premium options like a panorama roof or rear seat entertainment. But for the customers who want the extra power of the V-8, offer a sport package. Tighten up the suspension, dial in more steering feel, and add a sport algorithm to the transmission. Give it 19-inch wheels with wider rubber. Make the exhaust just a hair angrier. Dress it up with aluminum trim and more aggressive bodywork. That might, just might, scare the old guard from Germany."

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-24-08 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-24-08, 10:09 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

well like I said we shouldn't hate on this car or really consider it over the be but I personally like the genesis. If we not pick at every little short coming of the genesis of course the list will be flooded with things that need to me improved on the car. For example the is f has plenty of short comings compared to the new m3 but it also has it's upsides. This genesis isn't that bad of a car when you break it all down. Everyone will have their opinions about the car good and bad. But to say this car is going to be a bust would be just plain stupidity. Hyundai is trying to compete against the big boys. Mb bmw Lexus and they are doing a better job than other car brands that are trying to compete also. I don't know if they will ever best them I highly doubt that but atleast they are trying.
Old 07-24-08, 10:10 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

damn sorry for some of the typos. This iPhone sucks.
Old 07-24-08, 10:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

1989Lexus, your opinion is bias since you are Korean Hyundai is smart in that they will make a limited amount of V8. They will definitely sell more V6 in the mid 30K range. That would put the car up against Toyota, Nissan and Honda, not the big boyz like Lexus, MB and BMW. To say Hyundai is doing better than what Toyota did 20 years is true, but that is only because companies such as Toyota pave the way for other Asian car companies. Its always easier to do something when someone else have already done it b 4 u. Also it was much harder for Toyota trying break into the US market becuase of the anti Asian metality still exist in the 70s, and the economy back then was not as much a world economy as it is today.
As far as that article which thinks that Hyundai can just slap in some stiffer shocks and change the spring rates in the V8 version and be competitive in the Luxury sedan segment, I dont agree to that at all. It take car companies years of experience in auto racing and building sports car to be able to build a world class sport sedan. Hyundai have either of these experience. It will take them at least another 10 years b 4 they can built a world class sport sedan.

Last edited by The G Man; 07-24-08 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-24-08, 10:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

well like I said we shouldn't hate on this car or really consider it over the be but I personally like the genesis. If we not pick at every little short coming of the genesis of course the list will be flooded with things that need to me improved on the car. For example the is f has plenty of short comings compared to the new m3 but it also has it's upsides. This genesis isn't that bad of a car when you break it all down. Everyone will have their opinions about the car good and bad. But to say this car is going to be a bust would be just plain stupidity. Hyundai is trying to compete against the big boys. Mb bmw Lexus and they are doing a better job than other car brands that are trying to compete also. I don't know if they will ever best them I highly doubt that but atleast they are trying.
Yeah."to each his own".
However,I can honestly say I can almost guarantee that I will never plop down $35+K for any Hyundai.
It's funny,my in-laws love the Elantra and have had two Hyundai's since the late 80s and just bought a '08 list $17300 with a $2K rebate and $1200 discount.
Why they like 'em?
Cheap and pretty reliable but they don't put much mileage on them.
My mother in law's $5K '04 Elantra trade in only had 24K miles on it.I told them they should keep it.
My father in law's '99 Elantra has 66K but just had a tree fall on it and it's totalled.
They will just go with one car now.
Old 07-24-08, 11:15 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

An opinion is an opinion biased or not. Easy for anyone to compare this genesis to cars that are already established and have alot of credibility in the us market. Is the car really that bad? Shall we compare it to the ford Taurus or some chevy? One thing is certain it's too easy to jump on the badwagon and not pick every short coming of the genesis. Biased or not that's something you can agree on. I see it from lexis owners too. But getting back to the original posters question. First there was the acura tl against the lexus gs and now hyundai genesis vs lexus gs? I think he has a little more thinking to do ok his own. I wonder if he posted on the acura and hyundai forums. Get the car you'll be happy with. Not the car everyone on the lexus gs threads say is better. If you can afford it get the gs. If money is the issue consider the tl or genesis.

1989Lexus, your opinion is bias since you are Korean Hyundai is smart in that they will make a limited amount of V8. They will definitely sell more V6 in the mid 30K range. That would put the car up against Toyota, Nissan and Honda, not the big boyz like Lexus, MB and BMW. To say Hyundai is doing better than what Toyota did 20 years is true, but that is only because companies such as Toyota pave the way for other Asian car companies. Its always easier to do something when someone else have already done it b 4 u. Also it was much harder for Toyota trying break into the US market becuase of the anti Asian metality still exist in the 70s, and the economy back then was not as much a world economy as it is today.
As far as that article which thinks that Hyundai can just slap in some stiffer shocks and change the spring rates in the V8 version and be competitive in the Luxury sedan segment, I dont agree to that at all. It take car companies years of experience in auto racing and building sports car to be able to build a world class sport sedan. Hyundai have either of these experience. It will take them at least another 10 years b 4 they can built a world class sport sedan.
Old 07-24-08, 11:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

How about a debate on TL vs Genesis
Old 07-24-08, 11:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

How about a debate on TL vs Genesis
I'd go TL.

Quick Reply: GS350 vs. Hyundai Genesis ???