GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Problem programming Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 05:56 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problem programming Homelink

Hello CL,

I am having problems programming my Homelink buttons with my gate/garage opener.

I have done a search on CL and read 2thfixr's suggestion but have been unsuccessful.

I am in Canada so the only deviation from his instructions is that instead of holding the button on the transmitter, I have to press and release it every 2 seconds (since after holding the button for 2 seconds, the transmitter stops sending the signal... must be a Canadian regulation for wireless transmitters or something).

I have Homelink in my Nissan Maxima and just to see if the battery was dead/dying in the transmitter, I reprogrammed the buttons in my Maxima and tested them with the garage. I was successful in programming the Homelink buttons in my Maxima and was able to open the garage. It is not a rolling code opener so I don't have to press the "learn" button on the garage (as confirmed by programming it successfully in my Maxima).

I erased all the entries in the GS350 by holding buttons 1 and 3 until there was a fast blink, after which point I let go of both buttons. Afterwards I held button 1, at which point a slow blink occurred immediately. During this time, while holding button 1 down, I pressed (at 2 second intervals) the transmitter button. At no point was there a fast blink to indicate that the button had been programmed successfully. Eventually the indicator light on the rearview mirror for the Homelink went out completely (which I assume means that the device is no longer operating) and then I let go of button 1.

This is driving me nuts since I have never had any problems programming any of the Homelink buttons in my Maxima. Am I missing something really obvious here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-27-08, 06:12 PM
08BLACKOUT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Me too.....

I cant get mine to work either. I have tried quite a few times and the damn thing wont take...anyone have some tips
Old 04-27-08, 06:50 PM
ahearn
Rookie

I've had problems in the past as well and it seemed that the solution in my case was to wait what was a loooooooong time (as much as a minute) for the light to change from blinking slowly to blinking rapidly.

Then for a rolling code opener, after pressing the "learn" button, trying different button press sequences and durations. I don't recall it ever working exactly as it was supposed to. Experimentation seemed to be the key to success. Once programmed, however, it works every time.
Old 04-28-08, 03:45 AM
tableonard
Driver School Candidate

Default My experience and what worked for me....

Just skim'd over this post and figured I'd post my experience...

I followed the instruction book with no luck. Press the learn button on garage opener, then press the homelink button and hold for period of time... Did all kinds of variations of this with absolutely no luck.

So then I decided to get one of the garage door openers and use it for the programming. I just held it up to the homelink buttons and pressed both buttons (garage door opener button and one homelink button) until homelink started blinking rapidly.... Anyhow, I got it to work with the garage remotes.

Good luck!!!!!
Old 04-28-08, 04:10 AM
stevil
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recommend calling Homelink's customer service. They were very helpful for me.

One thing I didn't realize was that I had a special programming remote for my garage door opener. I was trying over and over again with my regular remote with no luck. Once I used the special programming remote (it was red, I have a Genie), everything worked fine.
Old 04-28-08, 10:54 AM
weilunc5
Driver School Candidate

it's one way or the other---have your homelink learn your existing remote or have your garage door opener learn your homelink. but you need to have your garage door opener manual ready if you want to try the latter.
I also have a genie. as I can recall you need to press the learn button AGAIN after your opener picks up homelink signal.
Also check your opener's max capacity---how many remotes it can store. You won't get your homelink learned if the number exceeds the limit.
Old 05-09-08, 03:14 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

The opener is actually for an underground parking garage and so it's not like a Stanley or Chamberlain garage door opener (well, it might be, but I don't know). I also know it isn't a rolling code opener because I was able to successfully program Homelink on my Maxima.

I took in my Lexus for the 1600 km inspection (waste of time but got a free breakfast out of it) and I even asked the "assistant service manager" to help me with it. He played with it for about five minutes but determined that there must be some sort of "incompatibility" with the opener and my Homelink. What kind of BS answer is that? Isn't Homelink Homelink? It's not a Lexus product; it's licensed from the Homelink company.

I feel like an idiot. It can't be this difficult... Maybe I will have to call Homelink...
Old 05-09-08, 04:03 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Same here. Couldnt make it to work either