GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

"Destination" voice command issue (GPS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 03:15 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Destination" voice command issue (GPS)

For those of you who have the NAV, have you ever encountered the following issue?

While driving, I sometimes use the "Destination" voice command. For those who are not familiar, basically you can vocally tell the system your address in a series of steps(State, City, Street, House Number) and it will automatically enter it in as your destination while driving. (Handy for those of us who don't have the Nav override feature). The issue I've run into is that when I press the "Voice Command" button on my steering wheel and say "Destination", I now get an error message to the follow effect: "This command is only available in the scrolling map".

What the heck does this mean? Sounds like one of my "map" options is not set correctly preventing me from accessing this command. Any ideas?

Thanks!!
Old 02-22-08, 09:02 AM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Gents,

Am I the only one with this issue?...
Old 02-22-08, 09:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I can’t get that stupid voice command function to work at all, I pretty gave up on it. About the only thing that it recognize is the word home
Old 02-22-08, 10:01 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Likewise. It was so unreliable that i gave up using voice command and pursued the unlock override kit and haven't seen a lot of chatter on VC in general so perhaps unlikely many have experienced your issue.

Other than obvious things like being sure the map is on screen vs audio or climate etc. don't even have much of a guess. does your nav map scroll (track) with your position onscreen as it should even if you haven't entered a destination? ie system seems to be working normally in every other way including direct input of address?
Old 02-22-08, 10:14 AM
dexlex62
Driver School Candidate

silverspt,
i believe you have to say address not destination
Old 02-22-08, 10:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I wonder if that new Ford Microsoft sync system works any better.
Old 02-22-08, 10:39 AM
Eiso
Driver

Originally Posted by dexlex62
silverspt,
yea..."address"...but the voice command always fail to recognize the street name!
Old 02-22-08, 11:11 AM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dexlex62
silverspt,
Ok, I will give that a try today. You may be right
Old 02-22-08, 02:39 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

I have NEVER EVER been able to enter a full address by voice. The voice recognition is very much 20th century, i.e. it sucks!
Old 02-22-08, 03:30 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
I wonder if that new Ford Microsoft sync system works any better.

how could it not? My GS is just awful when it comes to this
Old 02-22-08, 04:11 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've yet to find any manufacturer's GPS unit that can recognize the commands. Plus when you factor in all the different dialects in this country, it's no wonder. The software that can do it hasn't been invented yet.
Old 02-22-08, 04:49 PM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Acura/Honda have the best 'voice recognition'... my RL got it right 90% of the time. I've been really disappointed with Lexus in this regard... especially the Gen4 Nav. Sucks that Honda, Nissan and Ford have better systems. Luckily... I rarely use my Nav.
Old 02-27-08, 10:44 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Thanks DexLEx62...
My bad here. The command is "address" and not "destination".
Old 02-28-08, 06:50 AM
dtrose
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
Acura/Honda have the best 'voice recognition'... my RL got it right 90% of the time. I've been really disappointed with Lexus in this regard... especially the Gen4 Nav. Sucks that Honda, Nissan and Ford have better systems. Luckily... I rarely use my Nav.
I agree with NavyDoc. I also had a '05 RL for which I traded for a '07 GS350. The Whole Nav / Radio lockout while in motion is SO frustrating that unless Lexus fixes this for the next release I will not be purchasing another Lexus. Acura is so far ahead of Lexus in terms of technology it's not even funny. I feel like I have stepped back 10 years.
Old 02-28-08, 07:59 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dtrose
I agree with NavyDoc. I also had a '05 RL for which I traded for a '07 GS350. The Whole Nav / Radio lockout while in motion is SO frustrating that unless Lexus fixes this for the next release I will not be purchasing another Lexus. Acura is so far ahead of Lexus in terms of technology it's not even funny. I feel like I have stepped back 10 years.
what kind of logic is this, just because they locked out the input while in motion for liability & for our safety reason, now they are behind 10 years?

it's because of all these dumb americans that sue for 3 million on hot coffee spilling on your lap that some car manufacturers aren't willing to take the chance.

have you realized that Asian market lexus even have satellite TV built in? even bmw has tv from the factory, you really think US will ever get something like that?

*Alpine makes nav for honda/acura last time I checked, it is not honda/acura is more superior, it's because they chose a better partner.

Quick Reply: "Destination" voice command issue (GPS)