GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Windshield creaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 07:11 PM
mahroni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an 08 gs450h and i started hearing it last week. i noticed it when the car got parked in the sun for a few hours. 75 degree weather here in los angeles last week... it comes and goes now (it's still hot these past few days)
Old 02-12-08, 07:15 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you look at Jay leno's garage, you hear how he says benz, etc are built "tight". no rattles and crap. but those are new.

Does anyone here have a benz with 15000+ miles on it with rattles or squeaks?
Old 02-12-08, 07:17 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mahroni
i have an 08 gs450h and i started hearing it last week. i noticed it when the car got parked in the sun for a few hours. 75 degree weather here in los angeles last week... it comes and goes now (it's still hot these past few days)
Oh great! - looks like with the 08 models, they figured out how to get it to creak in hot weather too!
Old 02-12-08, 07:35 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

warm weather creaks is a nice 08 upgrade indeed. I can always tell when it's winter with my 06. My knees hurt and my car squeaks.
Old 02-12-08, 08:17 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I just traded in GX470 for the GS350 2 weeks ago, let me tell you that the GX470 was a solid Lexus, not 1 singal rattle in 3 years. Frankly, I am a little disappointed with the GS with the rattles and brake squeaks.
Old 02-13-08, 09:15 AM
rozGS430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Did they ask you before they take your dash apart, the last thing I want them to do is take the dash apart and cause more noise because right now its not that bad.
yes, they called the first time to let me know they would be taking the whole thing apart. i assumed they would this time, but they called yesterday to let me know they would be taking the dashboard apart again. What can i say? hopefully third time is a charm.
Old 02-13-08, 09:18 AM
rozGS430
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Like I said, my car did not creak at all last winter - But after I got 5-10 thousand miles on my car this winter, it sounded like a marching band!
mine, too. bought it on 3/3/07 outside of phila. and not a sound. about 9,000 miles later in like 10/08 it really started. it started with the plastic frame around the nav screen. fixed that. they the passenger side of the dash started, fixed that...after cracking my windshield in half. now they are fixing the driver's side. there are no more sides left to fix, so hopefully this is it.
Old 02-13-08, 11:16 AM
bbnurdone
Driver School Candidate

Just made 3rd appointment for this problem after pass 15000 miles and got a phone call from local dealer's customer service saying that because this is the third time so they are required to schedule with someone from the Lexus Corp to take my car out for test drive with me so I can address the problem directly with him. I've been using my digital recorder to capture the rattles as my backup when I have a talk with this guy. This is annoying and I believe no one want to take the car back to the dealer every time it comes up again and again, very disappointed so far with Lexus . This makes me think twice with my future new car.

Last edited by bbnurdone; 02-13-08 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-13-08, 11:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Just as a reference, how bad are the rattles on some of you guy's GS. It is constant? Does it only rattle when going over bumps? Does it creak when you take a sharp turn? How loud is it? Can you hear it with the radio on mid. volume? Can you hear it with the radio on high volume?

Thanks
Old 02-13-08, 11:45 AM
bbnurdone
Driver School Candidate

Not all the time but I can say most of the time and yes, it rattles when going over the bumps. Let's see, with the volume crank up to 30 and I can still hear it sometimes. Mine is not just styrofoam on styrofoam, but also like when you put some jelly beans in a plastic tube and shake it, that's how it sounds.
Old 02-13-08, 12:28 PM
rozGS430
Rookie

Just as a reference, how bad are the rattles on some of you guy's GS. It is constant? Does it only rattle when going over bumps? Does it creak when you take a sharp turn? How loud is it? Can you hear it with the radio on mid. volume? Can you hear it with the radio on high volume?

Thanks
i take the highway to work and where the road joints are and any small bumps and where bridges connect to the road are the worst. but even when i am on smooth pavement, the car shakes a little in normal operation and those vibrations shake whatever is making these noises. so i have both, as well. the styrofoam and the plastic sounding rattles. it happens at all temperatures and at all times.
Old 02-13-08, 12:54 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I have the styrofoam sound only when going over bumps. The 1st time I hard it was with the radio up to around 30, since then the weather has warm up and I can no long hear it with the radio on but with the radio off, it is certainly there. Funny thing is that, I can also hear the styrofoam when I take a fast turn onto my driveway. Almost sounds like the unibody is flexing against the windshield or something.
Old 02-13-08, 01:10 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I just traded in GX470 for the GS350 2 weeks ago, let me tell you that the GX470 was a solid Lexus, not 1 singal rattle in 3 years. Frankly, I am a little disappointed with the GS with the rattles and brake squeaks.
i agree, our 04 gx has no rattles, it is quite amazing actually
Old 02-13-08, 01:48 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

rattles over bumps for me 2. can hear them even with radio on. on secondary roads it's just really annoying. it's fine on smooth surfaces but can hear it even when hitting a little jolt on interstates too.
Old 02-13-08, 03:44 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

I have the styrofoam sound only when going over bumps. The 1st time I hard it was with the radio up to around 30, since then the weather has warm up and I can no long hear it with the radio on but with the radio off, it is certainly there. Funny thing is that, I can also hear the styrofoam when I take a fast turn onto my driveway. Almost sounds like the unibody is flexing against the windshield or something.
Yup, the flexing of the car on turns is what bugged me the most. It reminded me of an old ship creaking with the rolls of the waves.

My 99 GS300, I owned for 8 years and it was problem free. I cannot say that about my 07 GS350, but now that I have got it fixed, I really love the car. I really love the electronic gadgetry and options. But shame, shame on Lexus for letting this problem go for years!!!!

But, don't stress on this to much, next fall when it gets cold and your car has about 10,000 miles, take it to the dealer and they will fix it. Don't worry about them taking the dash apart on this, as they are experts now!

After you get the problems solved, I think you'll really love the car! - This will cause me to look at other brands in 3 years when I buy a car for my wife. I think the Koreans are hot on the Lexus trail and I'll will be looking at the Hyundai Genesis. That is, if it gets good reliability reports!

Quick Reply: Windshield creaking