GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

TSIB Pads/Squealing

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 07:20 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSIB Pads/Squealing

For those of you with the TSIB brake pads, are you experiencing any squealing or screeching when you stop? I've had the pads for at least 6 mos. and the squealing started back in Dec. It is getting worse - much louder. Tech. @ Lexus said nothing's wrong. I know they didn't do the rotors when they put the new pads on. I'm hoping it's not a safety issue. It is a bit embarrassing.
Old 02-11-08, 08:09 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a lot of tech warned people against the TSIB update pads, you kinda have to give up the dust for the squealing. However, many people have done it, some experienced squealing and some don't.

how new were your rotors when you changed the pads?
Old 02-11-08, 08:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Am I correct to say that the TSIB pads are the one that is used for the brake dust TSB? I thought they were supposed to get rid of the squealing, not make it worst.
Old 02-11-08, 08:55 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Am I correct to say that the TSIB pads are the one that is used for the brake dust TSB? I thought they were supposed to get rid of the squealing, not make it worst.
no, the TSIB is to ADDRESS the dusty pads, the characteristic of dustless pads are more prone to squealing. THAT is normal across all brands, OEM or aftermarket.

there are ways to get rid of the squealing of course.
Old 02-11-08, 09:44 AM
rkb43
Pole Position

No squealing, I had them changed in July.
As I recall there is nothing in the TSB that warns of this, so I would have the dealer fix it.
Old 02-11-08, 10:17 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you have them apply the TSB, the service reps tell you that the brakes will squeal more then the others and a slight decrease in performance. Also, they tell you that if you're not happy with them, they can change them back but will charge you labor.

This is what they told me when I had mine done back in August a week after I bought the car.
Old 02-11-08, 10:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

If the TSIB for the brake dust is not the answer for squealing. what exactly is the fix for squealing brakes?
Old 02-11-08, 10:48 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

your brakes honestly shouldn't squeal with the stock pads, they are much softer, grips the rotors a lot harder, but produces a lot of dust.

dustless pads have been known for squealing, although a lot have to do with how well you break in your pads (proper bedding procedure) and how well you prep the new pads for installation.

I am not sure how dealer does it but I have experiences with many dustless pads on my old car.

anti squeak compound can be used on the back of the pads to reduce the vibrations (squeaking is caused by high frequency vibration)

so bottom line, if you didn't get the TSIB pads and brake squeals, take it to the dealer and complain. If you DID get the TSIB done, some people find it a little squeak a lot easier to tolerate than dusty wheels.
Old 02-11-08, 11:09 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the brakes on my GS swapped to the low-dust pads last year. A few months ago my brakes started making a horrible sqealing noise. Real embarrassing when coming to a stop at a light or when the valet pulled up my car

Fortunately, my SA and dealership is great and they ended up changing all the pads and rotors for me for no charge. Got to love Lexus service
Old 02-11-08, 12:14 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whlkev
your brakes honestly shouldn't squeal with the stock pads, they are much softer, grips the rotors a lot harder, but produces a lot of dust.

dustless pads have been known for squealing, although a lot have to do with how well you break in your pads (proper bedding procedure) and how well you prep the new pads for installation.

I am not sure how dealer does it but I have experiences with many dustless pads on my old car.

anti squeak compound can be used on the back of the pads to reduce the vibrations (squeaking is caused by high frequency vibration)

so bottom line, if you didn't get the TSIB pads and brake squeals, take it to the dealer and complain. If you DID get the TSIB done, some people find it a little squeak a lot easier to tolerate than dusty wheels.
No, I didnt get the brake pad TSIB done yet. Its going in next Monday and I am still debating rather I should ask for the low dust pad or not. I am not even sure if the TSIB apply to the 08 or not. I only have 1000 miles on it and brake dust is not that bad. What do you guys think, should I or should I not ask for the TSB.

Last edited by The G Man; 02-11-08 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-11-08, 01:13 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
No, I didnt get the brake pad TSIB done yet. Its going in next Monday and I am still debating rather I should ask for the low dust pad or not. I am not even sure if the TSIB apply to the 08 or not. I only have 1000 miles on it and brake dust is not that bad. What do you guys think, should I or should I not ask for the TSB.
don't even bother, no TSIB for '08 yet. Unless you have a dealership that just goes out of the way for customers, otherwise, they'll tell you to come back next time when there is one.

Per couple posts and my tech, they said the 2008 already have the updated pads, there are dusts, but after driving for 2 weeks. It's still somewhat clean. Not sure if they are telling the truth or not.
Old 02-11-08, 01:53 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Trust those of us who had original pads........... you'll easily know if you have the ones the TSB applies to. I kid you not... even after one short drive, like 15 miles city/suburb, the amount of dust was astounding.

That being said, if you're going to have the TSB applied make sure you bed the new pads in properly to promote even wear and prevent squealing. IMHO, anything over a couple of thousand miles will necessitate having the rotors cut (to be done properly).

Yes, a little braking performance is compromised but not much. The extended life for my wheel brush and back more than offset
Old 02-11-08, 02:22 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

I had mine put on last week and they have been squealing since day 2. Like when I slow down at a light you hear it squeal. I figured it would go away since they are new and maybe need to be broken in.No huh?

This sucks
Old 02-11-08, 02:33 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

how many miles were on the rotors before you swapped pads? I presume they did not resurface the rotors.

Here's a quick how to for bedding in new pads.
Each pad mfg usually has their own "specific" proceedure, but the concept and most steps are similar across brands:

http://www.pagidusa.com/bedding_in_procedure.htm
http://www.tirerack.com/brakestechpage-1/85.shtml

ps - I had the TSB applied at 4K miles and now at 12K. Pads haven't squawked or chirped once.
Old 02-11-08, 02:57 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

I have less then 3000 miles on mine=(

Quick Reply: TSIB Pads/Squealing