GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

4080 Enclosure + DIY Install!! 56K No-No

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 05:18 PM
CsKWarEd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 4080 Enclosure + DIY Install!! 56K No-No

To start this whole thing off I want to say thanks to Ainslie and the rest of the 4080 crew, for all of the help and the quality work invested in to this product! This is truly an awesome box with a real Lexus OEM feel to it. On top of that, I still have room in my trunk for all my stuff with no problem. The easy design lets me pop the enclosure out in seconds if I ever need to get to my spare! I’ve got just the base GS3 package, no ML package, so I was really looking to get some low bass in the trunk. This is a low crisp bump with no distortion that I can hear. We did the whole thing in just a couple of hours, without any gotcha’s at all. We thought that it was pretty painless so we decided to do a DIY so you can see how simple it really is. I was having some camera issues the first couple of shots, so they’re blueish. Sorry…

First remove the factory engine cover on the passenger side. The engine cover is held in place by small plastic fastners. To remove the fastener, simply push in the center pin and remove.

Now, remove the battery. Using a 10mm wrench, loosen the + and – terminals. You will need a 12mm wrench to remove the battery bracket.

The plastic battery shield has two plastic wire loops that are kinda hard to un-hook. You will need a short flat head screw driver pry open the hooks

Next you will need to remove the plastic panel that is under the passenger side dash. The panel can be removed without tools. Simply pull down on each corner and un-snap the panel fastners.

You will need a wire coat hanger to puncture the rubber grommet. This will allow you to push the amps power wire through the rubber grommet. I cut a small hole in the grommet to make it easier. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT CUT ANY OF THE FACTORY WIRES.

Next I taped the power wire to the coat hanger.

Push the coat hanger through the cut you made in the rubber grommet. It should push through fairly easy. You can spray the end of the wire with armor all to make it push through easier.

Pull the red power wire though the rubber grommet and leave approx. 2ft. in the engine bay.

Seal the hole around the power wire using clear silicone.
Old 02-10-08, 05:18 PM
CsKWarEd
Driver

Next, you will need to connect the amp turn-on wire. I could not find a switch 12V wire at the factory amp so I tapped into the cigarette fuse located in the fuse box. The fuse box is under the passenger side dash. Remove 10amp blue fuse labeled CIG. Strip back about ¼” of the insulation and wrap the copper wire around the end of the fuse and push it back into the fuse box.

Remove front and rear the side sill panels. The panels are only held by a few clips. You can remove the panels by pulling up on the ends.

Now you can run the power and turn-on wires down the side sill panels. The factory white clips un-snap and provide a perfect wire holder. Run the both wires to the back seat.

Remove the black plastic panel next to the back seat. This panel pops off just like the side sill plates. Pull the side of the rear seat forward to reveal a 2” port hole to the trunk. You will run the power and turn-on wire through this hole and into the trunk.

Remove the black plastic clips and fasteners that hold the rear deck panel.

This will reveal the factory sub and allow you to see your power and turn-on wire you pushed through the 2” hole.

You will need a signal step down converter to convert the high level speaker signal to low level RCA signal. To do this I used a PAC SNI-15 step down. Crappy pic!
Old 02-10-08, 05:19 PM
CsKWarEd
Driver

The factory sub is a dual voice coil. I cut all 4 wires that connect to the sub and lengthened them using some 4 conductor speaker wire. The black and white wires are the positive leads.

Connect the step-down to the 4-conductor wire you extended.

I opted to use the end of a bolt in the rear deck to secure the ground wire. First, scrape away the paint around the bolt to reveal bare metal. Then use a 1/4 “ nut to secure the ground.

Remove the plastic access panel located on the driver side trunk panel. This is where you will run your speaker wire through to your 4080enclosure. Run the speaker wire up to your amp.

Using 1” and 2” screws, mount the amp under the rear deck. Make sure you know exactly what you are screwing into. You do not want the screws to penetrate the metal more than ¼”.

Connect the ground, power, turn-on, speaker wire and RCA’s to the amp.

Connect the speaker wire to the 4080enclosure and push the box in place.
Old 02-10-08, 05:20 PM
CsKWarEd
Driver

Pull up the rubber weather stripping that is above the box and push back over the 4080enclosure bracket. This will hold the box in place without the use of screws.

Connect the power wire to the + terminal using the factory 13mm nut.

Ensure that the crossover on the amp is set to LP or low-pass. Set the cross-over to 80-100hz. Set the gain to ½ and turn on the radio.

Make sure you can turn up the volume on the radio without introducing distortion from the sub.

The 4080enclsosure takes up very little room…you can still put your golf clubs in your trunk!

You can still use the cargo net with the 4080enclosure

Install the battery back into the car.

Ainslie, the 4080 rep will have to answer some of the techy questions for me, but I’m sure he’ll see this thread. Again, thanks to 4080 for helping me out with this install!

Old 02-10-08, 06:44 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice...just what i needed
Old 02-10-08, 08:33 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great!
Old 02-10-08, 09:45 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

pinche carnitas, that looks nice!!!! So from what I can tell, you don't have the ML, is that correct? How does it sound?? I see that you got your ski trap open, is that to make it louder inside the cabin? Again, how does it sound?

I wonder if 4080 could make the same thing for the right side.... It'd be nice to run two subs
Old 02-10-08, 10:32 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

That looks great! Thanks for sharing the whole process with pictures
Old 02-11-08, 05:18 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up !!!
Old 02-11-08, 05:42 AM
CsKWarEd
Driver

Originally Posted by The Godfather
pinche carnitas, that looks nice!!!! So from what I can tell, you don't have the ML, is that correct? How does it sound?? I see that you got your ski trap open, is that to make it louder inside the cabin? Again, how does it sound?

I wonder if 4080 could make the same thing for the right side.... It'd be nice to run two subs
That is correct, I DO NOT have the ML package. It sounds amazing! We were taking pictures through the ski door, that's why it was open. However we did test it with it open and closed to see if there was much difference. I can't tell a huge difference with the hatch open, but I'm going to leave it open for a couple of days this week then close for a few days to test that. We'll have to see what 4080 does, as far as a passenger side enclosure. I know after popular demand in the G35 they started making both sides. Maybe Ainslie can touch on that when he see's this thread.

Thanks

Old 02-11-08, 06:15 AM
Rookie

Originally Posted by CsKWarEd
That is correct, I DO NOT have the ML package. It sounds amazing! We were taking pictures through the ski door, that's why it was open. However we did test it with it open and closed to see if there was much difference. I can't tell a huge difference with the hatch open, but I'm going to leave it open for a couple of days this week then close for a few days to test that. We'll have to see what 4080 does, as far as a passenger side enclosure. I know after popular demand in the G35 they started making both sides. Maybe Ainslie can touch on that when he see's this thread.

Thanks

We dont currently have plans to build a passenger side box unless the demand is there. Get me 20+ guys ready to buy and we will build.

Thanks,

Old 02-11-08, 06:32 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very nice! i hate you GS guys who don't have your fuel tank between the trunk and back seat!
Old 02-11-08, 09:47 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

I may be mistaken but isn't it bad to mount an amp upside down unless you have direct airflow going to it?

Anyways, that's a very clean install. Wish the 2gen had that little hatch opening in the back seat.
Old 02-11-08, 10:34 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simply Nice. This is one of the CL vender's products I am interested in most.

I was following your guide up to connecting the speaker wires... however, given that I am not a car audio expert, how did you connect the speaker wires (from and to) with the Amp? Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-11-08, 12:04 PM
Rookie

Originally Posted by jtgs400
I may be mistaken but isn't it bad to mount an amp upside down unless you have direct airflow going to it?

Anyways, that's a very clean install. Wish the 2gen had that little hatch opening in the back seat.
It is not ideal to mount an amp upside down. But, the amp in his car disipated very little heat plus the gains were only set to 1/2. The car is still really loud. We were laughing when we first turned it on because it was too much.

thanks,

Quick Reply: 4080 Enclosure + DIY Install!! 56K No-No