GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2GS to 3GS -> VERY Disappointing!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 09:50 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2GS to 3GS -> VERY Disappointing!

Well, after owning a 98 GS300 for almost 10 years (recently gave my 98 to my son), I purchased a 2008 GS350, and so I've been driving it for a few days now. My initial impressions are quite negative. Okay, I fully realize that as I drive my new car more, I may grow to get used to its flaws, but here are my initial impressions:

Most of all (in decreasing order of importance to me):

1. The seat is much, much less comfortable than the 98, especially in that the bottom seat cushion feels shorter and most of all less padded, making my thighs quite uncomfortable, sometimes so much so that they start cramping. I'm still trying lots of different driving positions to overcome this obvious design defect. [This item is by far and away my biggest problem with the 3GS.]

2. The inside overall feels much more cramped. [The headroom feels lower, although, according to the specs, the headroom is roughly the same.]

3. The visibility is not nearly as good, especially on the front and on the sides. You just can't see as well, so it makes driving a bit more dangerous and less fun.

4. The ride is harsher than my 98, which had 16" wheels while my 2008 has 18" wheels. I feel this on the highway and in town.

5. I would rather hold leather than plastic when driving, even if the plastic is coating some very pretty wood on the steering wheel. (Actually, this is one of the few things that I think I'll be able to learn to live with.)

Of course, my new car has a much sexier look, much better gadgets (especially the Bluetooth) and a more powerful engine. But knowing what I know now, I think I would have gotten a better car overall -- even forgetting entirely about the lower price -- by buying another 2GS

Here's hoping that I can learn to live with a car that wasn't designed for driver comfort nearly as well as its predecessor. To me driver comfort should be close to the top of the list in a model redesign. I have no idea when Lexus took such a huge step backwards with the 3GS.

Finally, I'm really hoping I will be able to change my mind on some of this in a month or so. We'll see, but I'm not very optimistic so far.

P.S. Yes, perhaps I should have noticed the issues above more on my test drives. But driving around with the salesman in the car makes it very hard to evaluate everything, and I didn't like a lot about the seat cushion while test driving. Some things just take a lot more driving to properly evaluate.
Old 12-15-07, 10:15 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey,

I feel sorry for you. I have never owned a 2 gen GS, but I tell you they are a beaut. I have fallen in love with the GS back in 1998 and wanted one for so long. I have never driven the 2 gen GS but only the 3rd Gen, so its hard for me to compare both. I do hope for your sake that you will get used to the 3rd gen. Maybe purchase the new 17 inch wheel design with tires from the later 2008 GS sedans to help soften the ride. I am 5 8 so the interior is a bit small compared to my A8L, but cozy enough. Would you consider upgrading to the LS at all? Just curious.
Old 12-15-07, 10:22 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Hey,

I feel sorry for you. I have never owned a 2 gen GS, but I tell you they are a beaut. I have fallen in love with the GS back in 1998 and wanted one for so long. I have never driven the 2 gen GS but only the 3rd Gen, so its hard for me to compare both. I do hope for your sake that you will get used to the 3rd gen. Maybe purchase the new 17 inch wheel design with tires from the later 2008 GS sedans to help soften the ride. I am 5 8 so the interior is a bit small compared to my A8L, but cozy enough. Would you consider upgrading to the LS at all? Just curious.
I might consider an LS switch in a year or two. But I'd more likely trade my 3GS in for a 2GS.

BUT I am hoping that I'll learn to live with my 3GS's flaws. I do love its gadgets. Still, I like and expect to be comfortable while driving. (The harshness of the ride isn't high on my list of complaints.) Most of all, it is the seat's poor design relative to the 2GS
Old 12-15-07, 10:32 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Heck I will buy you an 05 GS and trade it for your 08
Old 12-15-07, 10:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I got rid of a 2003 g35 sedan that was pretty tuned for the gs350. I noticed immediately that the brakes were in my opinion very weak(mind you the old car had a brake kit on it), and I felt the car understeer and roll to hard into corners. OVERALL ITS AN AMAZING CAR. Even in terms of handling, it will roll and lean, but will still take corners at the same speeds as my lowered g35 with a harsh ride
Old 12-15-07, 10:38 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steverhode
1. The seat is much, much less comfortable than the 98, especially in that the bottom seat cushion feels shorter and most of all less padded, making my thighs quite uncomfortable, sometimes so much so that they start cramping. I'm still trying lots of different driving positions to overcome this obvious design defect. [This item is by far and away my biggest problem with the 3GS.]
Are they that bad? The 2GS OEM seats are bad enough IMO.

and that's one lucky son.
Old 12-15-07, 10:40 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I got rid of a 2003 g35 sedan that was pretty tuned for the gs350. I noticed immediately that the brakes were in my opinion very weak(mind you the old car had a brake kit on it), and I felt the car understeer and roll to hard into corners. OVERALL ITS AN AMAZING CAR. Even in terms of handling, it will roll and lean, but will still take corners at the same speeds as my lowered g35 with a harsh ride
Just curious, you constantly compare your G35 which is not even in the same category as the GS. I would think a modified G35 will outhandle a stock GS any day. Now if we compare a stock G35 to an IS350 or a modified G35 to a modified IS350, now you got something to talk about!
Old 12-15-07, 10:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Coils for the 3GS, add the Toms suspension pieces, Viola, better handling GS...

I think its the feel of the brakes, the GS 350 has 4 pots to the G35s 2 pots (and 2GS 2 pots)....
Old 12-15-07, 11:13 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Coils for the 3GS, add the Toms suspension pieces, Viola, better handling GS...

I think its the feel of the brakes, the GS 350 has 4 pots to the G35s 2 pots (and 2GS 2 pots)....
Thats my plan to get the TEIN CS or SS coilovers and Toms strut bars!!!
Old 12-15-07, 11:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

O/T Tein CS coilovers are not really built for handling. Hence the name CS = Comfort Spec.
Old 12-15-07, 11:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
Are they that bad? The 2GS OEM seats are bad enough IMO.

and that's one lucky son.
I'm with you. My 2nd gen seat doesn't feel good either. I can't drive for more than 20 minutes without my butt hurting. I feel like I'm sitting on cardboard. No matter what position I'm in, it's not comfortable.

However I just sat in the rear for the first time in awhile. It's very very comfortable
Old 12-15-07, 11:26 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'm with you. My 2nd gen seat doesn't feel good either. I can't drive for more than 20 minutes without my butt hurting. I feel like I'm sitting on cardboard. No matter what position I'm in, it's not comfortable.

However I just sat in the rear for the first time in awhile. It's very very comfortable
Perhaps the seat padding in your 2GS has worn down as you are the 2nd owner correct?
Old 12-16-07, 08:07 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg

I recall one time sitting in the back, wow, its nice and comfortable. I just missed driving the car though, I hate other people driving my own car. Mind me.
Old 12-16-07, 08:17 AM
ste
Driver

i had a 2nd GS too but no way would i trade my new GS in for a 2nd GS. the 2nd GS is still one of my fav cars but no match for the 3rd gen. or maybe its me when i test drive a car an if there is one thing that i noticed that bothers me i dont buy the car. plain and simpe. i dont care if the VP of lexus is my saleman im buying the car not him. sounds like u was sold a car. theres a difference from buying a car vs bieng sold a car.
Old 12-16-07, 08:30 AM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steverhode
Well, after owning a 98 GS300 for almost 10 years (recently gave my 98 to my son), I purchased a 2008 GS350, and so I've been driving it for a few days now. My initial impressions are quite negative. Okay, I fully realize that as I drive my new car more, I may grow to get used to its flaws, but here are my initial impressions:

Most of all (in decreasing order of importance to me):

2. The inside overall feels much more cramped. [The headroom feels lower, although, according to the specs, the headroom is roughly the same.]

3. The visibility is not nearly as good, especially on the front and on the sides. You just can't see as well, so it makes driving a bit more dangerous and less fun.

4. The ride is harsher than my 98, which had 16" wheels while my 2008 has 18" wheels. I feel this on the highway and in town.

5. I would rather hold leather than plastic when driving, even if the plastic is coating some very pretty wood on the steering wheel. (Actually, this is one of the few things that I think I'll be able to learn to live with.)
I think you should give it a lil while longer b4 you give it the "VERY Disappointing!" rating somethings you have 2 get adjusted to. You were in your 2GS for 10 years and basically u were one with that car, you knew all the nuances, all the ways 2 get the most out of it, and could more than likely compensate without knowing for some of the 2GS shortcomings (sorry if I got all emotional on You lol).

The 3GS is a great car but it's not a 2.5GS it's an entirely new vehicle so it was bound 2b different than the 2GS.

1. The seats are new I think this just have 2b broken in. After 10 years ur old seats prolly had your body pretty much imprinted in them.

2. I havent noticed a difference here.

3. I agree 100% with you here, I drove forever with my 2GS rear headrest up and no problem. I tried that with the 3GS and I was nearly blinded. The sideview also has a bigger blind spot but I thought the bigger mirrors on the '08's would have fixed this problem. After a couple months fof driving my 3GS i have become used to the visibility change and I can say driving is still fun.

4. Your still in the break in period, and you are coming from 16's. I'm sure you will get used to it. In my case I feel the ride is just as good as my 2GS

5. I love my wood wheel but after 6 years of grippin the leather in my 2GS ummmmm the leather was slowly but surely disapeering lol

Quick Reply: 2GS to 3GS -> VERY Disappointing!