GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

PICS: 2007 vs. 2008 GS Differences

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 12:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

indeed, i thought they only deal with riverside
Old 12-09-07, 02:54 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
Funny you mention that, I was told on several occassions that Longo doesn't do dealer trades - they are very protective of their inventory. Then again, Longo always seems to have the color combos I wanted . . .
Yeah same here and for several years. There are a handful of old Longo mangement that went over to Riverside and other places, so really their ties with other local dealerships have become stronger. Win win situation for everyone.
Old 12-09-07, 04:37 AM
MELODY7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first I wasn't really feeling the 2008 model due to the grill. Once I started paying attention to it more and more I realized the front end of the car looked more aggressive and more luxery. The chrome on the grill reminded me a bit of the escalade and its elegant new grill. The new side mirrors reminded me of the new s-classes. Now after reviewing these changes, I realized the GS got more luxury. The old steering wheel compared to the new looks horrible. The bezel surrounding the ***, makes the interior look more luxery as well as the old stickers taken off from the radio. Those downgrading the new model are going to be wanting one 2 years from now as they pass the newer versions of the GS as they are still paying for the older model. I'd chose the 08 model in a heartbeat. Thanks for posting the pictures.

I've noticed you guys talk a lot about sticker price and what not, but has it ever occurred to some that its much better to lease something that depreciates in value as soon as you drive it off the lot? Why get stuck with car payments on an older model and watch others drive the newer models? I assume you guys purchase these nice vehicles for its quality and style correct? Why not lease and always have the latest model?
Old 12-09-07, 12:46 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Leasing thoughts

Originally Posted by MELODY7

I've noticed you guys talk a lot about sticker price and what not, but has it ever occurred to some that its much better to lease something that depreciates in value as soon as you drive it off the lot? Why get stuck with car payments on an older model and watch others drive the newer models? I assume you guys purchase these nice vehicles for its quality and style correct? Why not lease and always have the latest model?
In my opinion, assuming that the car isn't a company car, the only reason to do a lease over a purchase is to save paying part of the sales tax if you plan on trading your car in for another one in few years. That's the reason, and the only reason, that I will be leasing my 2008 GS350. Of course, BWM and some other companies offer special lease deals that making leasing much more attractive, but not Lexus.
Old 12-09-07, 06:07 PM
LexFather

Damn great work Henry and Ryan!
Old 12-09-07, 06:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by steverhode
In my opinion, assuming that the car isn't a company car, the only reason to do a lease over a purchase is to save paying part of the sales tax if you plan on trading your car in for another one in few years. That's the reason, and the only reason, that I will be leasing my 2008 GS350. Of course, BWM and some other companies offer special lease deals that making leasing much more attractive, but not Lexus.
i don't know about others, but in our case with the gs350, ls460l, and sc430. leasing it for 3 yrs and then buying out the car we would pay quite a bit less money than financing. so it was a pretty easy decision for us
Old 12-09-07, 07:24 PM
LexFather

Who took the pics and who bought the beer???? lol
Old 12-09-07, 08:38 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Who took the pics and who bought the beer???? lol
I did, but Rominl owes me beer. lol j/k
Old 12-09-07, 08:43 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in a way this makes the 06-07 parts harder to find down the road for used parts... if the owner wants the original year stuff that is.
Old 12-10-07, 02:02 PM
tjp74
Driver

Originally Posted by MELODY7
I assume you guys purchase these nice vehicles for its quality and style correct? Why not lease and always have the latest model?
Simple, If you must drive new cars every 2-3 years, then lease is the best option. For me, I buy new cars every 7-13 years and if it wasn't the total loss accidents, I would have drove them for 20+ years and into the ground... For that, paying cash or financing (if I get a cool interest rate deal) makes sense for me. Before getting my 07 GS, I haven't made a car payment for past 10 years.

by the way, back to the object. I think people are talking about two different things here for the price difference of 2007 and 2008. Yes, MSRP is not much different and again, you are not getting illuminated sill for free as it's a $400 option. Exception of mirror turn signal, you are not getting anything free included in the base MSRP. They are all cusmetic changes.

When people say that there are $2000-$3000 difference between 2007 and 2008 and that 2008 is not worth the premium is that they are talking about the street/market price. When 2008 was first intruduced, you can get cool $8-9000 off MSRP on 2007 while supplies last but 2008 was going for near MSRP, may be couple grands off at the most.
Now, you can get better deal on 2008 but if you can still find a left over 2007s, I think you can still get few more grands off remaining 2007 compare to 2008.
With these minor design changes, some controversial, I think the argument that 2008 is not worth the preimum is plausable. Believe me, I hate the 08 grill with passion but if offered the 08 for a similar price, even more since I am getting a 1 year newer model, I would have been all over the 08.

But then, I don't think there are any left over 2007s in most dealers at this time so there is no point of argueing this I think.

Last edited by tjp74; 12-10-07 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-11-07, 07:41 PM
Dallas777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
i never understood why people have to make themselves feel better by putting down newer version of their car.

It happens everywhere, on any car.

As I said, if I could have, I would have gotten 08 in an heartbeat.
I totally agree...I had an 07 and LUVED it! But now that I have an 08, those little extras are cool as hell! All I have done to mine is tint the windows (30/15) and add the chrome licence plate and I get stopped every where I go!

Was at the gas station and a Dallas Cop pulled in just to look at the car and talk about the upgrades... Even the lights rolling out (i think the 07 does this also) at night is a show stopper! And yes, it still has that luxury SPORTY feel and look! It's all that and then some!

Don't hate...Just appreciate!

Man you can't go wrong with an 07 or an 08! It's Lexus! It's the reason why we drive all these cars with pride!
Old 12-22-07, 07:43 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Gear Shift Bezel - The 2008 features a new brushed aluminum looking gear shift bezel/faceplate.

This was very awesome and time consuming, interesting to see the evolution, and look at this from an 04 thread on the 06 gs

what the heck is that below (behind) the shifter anyways ?? well never know

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...105770&page=19
Old 12-22-07, 10:40 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

argh... 08s have aux input. Damn you Toyota. DAMN YOU!!!
Old 12-25-07, 12:26 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is one difference that I bet no one knew, we didn't find out today until we jacked up a 07 and 08.

The 08 has these 2 plastic diffusers in the undercarriage, sorry for the very bad picture since one was taken with cell phone

Old 12-25-07, 10:54 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whlkev
This is one difference that I bet no one knew, we didn't find out today until we jacked up a 07 and 08.

The 08 has these 2 plastic diffusers in the undercarriage, sorry for the very bad picture since one was taken with cell phone

WHAT is it???

Quick Reply: PICS: 2007 vs. 2008 GS Differences