GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Windshield/Dash rattle really bad in this cold weather......

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 08:30 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield/Dash rattle really bad in this cold weather......

I drove my car downtown this morning. It was 7 degrees outside! - The windshield/dash rattle is no longer a rattle noise. It sounds like two Styrofoam boxes that are next to each other making a loud rubbing/creaking noise. I can hear it over the radio! I don't even have to go over a bump! Just turning in a curve in the road where the car leans slightly will produce this noise.

This problem is so un-Lexus like that I cannot believe it! - We are not talking new technology here folks! Cars have had Windshields and Dashes for over 80 years. Lexus had this problem solved when they released their first car! I have never owned a car that has done this. I am betting even a Yugo would not have this problem!

My car is going to the dealer on Monday to fix this problem. Luckily my dealer has said they have fixed this problem before and have never had it re-occur. We'll see about that! This is the only thing that is wrong with my GS350 in over a year of ownership. What I cannot believe is that Lexus knew about this problem in 2006 vehicles and it is still there in 2007! This is not rocket science! I will be very interested in hearing if this problem is truly corrected in the 2008 models!

I will keep you posted on progress at the dealership. I am going to stay on them like Pit Bull until they fix this problem. I have a lot of time on my hands to do this as I am retired!
Old 11-30-07, 10:43 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

yup. had the same issue with mine last year.
End result was no more noise now. and I have even let it sit outside in the 0 degree weather over night and still nothing. Nice.
i'm wishing you luck.
Old 11-30-07, 11:21 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jace7
yup. had the same issue with mine last year.
End result was no more noise now. and I have even let it sit outside in the 0 degree weather over night and still nothing. Nice.
i'm wishing you luck.
How many trips to the dealer did it take you to get this resolved? And do you know what they did to finally fix the problem?
Old 11-30-07, 11:39 AM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me know what they did for you. Four times to the dealer and no fix.
Old 11-30-07, 11:49 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
How many trips to the dealer did it take you to get this resolved? And do you know what they did to finally fix the problem?
3 times, the third it was fixed.
I watched them the 3rd time, felt everything square inch of the inside of the dash. All connecting parts, the windshield, the speakers, the speaker covers, every wire, and every single contact point of everything.

no more rattles.
Old 12-01-07, 04:53 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

What a timely post... mine is at the dealer right now...for the same problem.
I brought it in once...and the did the window clips...and it's about 50% better after that. Then I brought it back to have the TSB for the new ventilation cowl and a-pillar insulation..etc done yesterday. They had it at 0900 and at 1800 called me and said, We finally got it all back together...and it won't start. The Tech thinks he left something disconneced deep in the dash, so they're going to take it apart again and fix it. I'll keep you posted on it. I agree with you though... it's BS that Lexus can't get something as simple as that right. No car I've ever had made noises like the one does. I'm actually envious of how quiet the ES350 they gave me as a loaner is. One thing I noticed is that the dash on the ES has a more 'rubbery' feel...as where ours has a harder/plastic feel. It seems like the rubbery material would be less likely to make noises when it rubs on other surfaces. Maybe they should switch to a different dash composite.
Old 12-01-07, 05:10 AM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Ah bull****, I just bought an '06 GS300 tonight...and the freaking dash creaks like a **** right by the right speaker grill... ARGH!!!! I just traded in my Audi S4 b/c that thing was too loud, and now I'm getting this...
Old 12-01-07, 05:29 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Ah bull****, I just bought an '06 GS300 tonight...and the freaking dash creaks like a **** right by the right speaker grill... ARGH!!!! I just traded in my Audi S4 b/c that thing was too loud, and now I'm getting this...
If that's the only place it creaks... you're in luck. I had that one and was able to stop it myself....the key is, the creak is coming from the A-pillar...not the dash or speaker-box. Stuff some felt up under the front/bottom part of the a-pillar and it should shut it up. While you're at it... you can pad around the speaker box...they're easy to pop up.
Old 12-01-07, 05:36 AM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

I'll try and play with it tomorrow...well this morning I should say. thanks for the tip Doc!
Old 12-01-07, 05:47 AM
TimC
Rookie

Default noises in the 08's or late build 07's

What has the experience been for those who bought late build 07's or the new 08'? Thanks
Old 12-01-07, 05:47 AM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got my 06 back yesterday...

from the second trip to fix the ticking noise. 1st trip was to replace the cowl; 2nd trip they "lowered headliner and remove alignment clips"...of course when I left the dealer there was no ticking, lets see what happens next chilly morning...

Michael
Old 12-01-07, 07:30 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Yikes, it's been in the 10's and 20's here and I just picked up my car yesterday. They did the TSIB on window clip and just like NavyDoc333, it is a little better but still there. So I called to let them know last night and will set up another time to take it in. Hopefully third time is the charm?!

Does anyone hear any rattle from the driver side B pillar or am I hallucinating?!?!
Old 12-01-07, 07:49 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jace7
3 times, the third it was fixed.
I watched them the 3rd time, felt everything square inch of the inside of the dash. All connecting parts, the windshield, the speakers, the speaker covers, every wire, and every single contact point of everything.

no more rattles.
So Jace, did they happen to notice your Nav. Hack when they were doing this? Did they make any comments?
Old 12-01-07, 08:01 AM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Default nav mod

They did not notice my nav modification when they worked on my car (or at least they did not mention it)
Old 12-01-07, 08:14 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Yeah, like clockwork the rubbing/creaking noise is back. It's nice to be able to gauge the change of seasons by the interior creaking in my car.

Quick Reply: Windshield/Dash rattle really bad in this cold weather......