GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

$140 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 12:11 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default $140 oil change

Folks,

I"m about to (attempt) change my oil/filter and engine air filter on an '07 GS350. Do I have to remove anything from the bottom of the car to get to the crankcase bolt or oil filter? Also, how do I remove the engine cover to get the the air filter (I assume underneath the cover is where I'll find it)?
Thank you in advance for the help.
Old 05-17-08, 04:06 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The jerks at the Lexus dealership down the road charge $60 for oil change, and $100 for the oil change and tire rotation. Most ignorant losers that bring their car to that dealership end up paying $100 because they are told that they are supposed to do both of these services each 5,000 miles.

I'm getting my oil changed half a mile from the Lexus dealership at a Toyota dealership -- same parts I'm sure -- for $32 including all the taxes and fees.
Old 05-17-08, 09:41 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavaria
Folks,

I"m about to (attempt) change my oil/filter and engine air filter on an '07 GS350. Do I have to remove anything from the bottom of the car to get to the crankcase bolt or oil filter? Also, how do I remove the engine cover to get the the air filter (I assume underneath the cover is where I'll find it)?
Thank you in advance for the help.

air filter is under the covers, do a search for oil change DIY, there was one with great pics, should be pretty easy, the oil filter is a canister type not a metal one like in other cars.
Old 05-18-08, 05:46 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have over 20k on my 3GS, and haven't paid for any service yet Originally when I bought my ES350 in the summer of 2006, I also opened up Lexus VISA and put as much on it as allowed when purchasing a new Lexus (about $5k). Than 4 month later after 2 failed trannies and buyback I moved into 3GS and put the difference between two on Lex VISA as well (around $5k). That earned me enough point to cover oil changes up until now and maybe for one more. I only do oil change at dealership, $59. I think its a fair price considering full gourmet breakfast, free car wash, IS250 loaner for a day, AND them still getting all the detailed checking of the car. My service adviser actually told me either I pay for a full 5k service or just do the oil change, they will still do a detailed checking of car inside out and will tighten anything that is loose. IMHO, well worth $59 for white glove service for everything above. Tire rotation is $20 everywhere, cabin air filter is about $30, engine air filter should not be a problem with DIY.
Old 05-18-08, 06:34 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
I have over 20k on my 3GS, and haven't paid for any service yet Originally when I bought my ES350 in the summer of 2006, I also opened up Lexus VISA and put as much on it as allowed when purchasing a new Lexus (about $5k). Than 4 month later after 2 failed trannies and buyback I moved into 3GS and put the difference between two on Lex VISA as well (around $5k). That earned me enough point to cover oil changes up until now and maybe for one more. I only do oil change at dealership, $59. I think its a fair price considering full gourmet breakfast, free car wash, IS250 loaner for a day, AND them still getting all the detailed checking of the car. My service adviser actually told me either I pay for a full 5k service or just do the oil change, they will still do a detailed checking of car inside out and will tighten anything that is loose. IMHO, well worth $59 for white glove service for everything above. Tire rotation is $20 everywhere, cabin air filter is about $30, engine air filter should not be a problem with DIY.
I'm glad you're happy with your dealer. I don't get a breakfast at mine; the "wash" is a joke, and a loaner costs $5 a day "preprocessing fee".

By the way, charing $10,000 on my AMEX Starwood card earns me over $350 in free hotel stays.
Old 05-19-08, 05:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj4246
what has changed about Mobile one? I have never had a problem myself and I am aware that there are a number of good oils. I would think any good syn. would work for no longer than most of us keep our cars unless most of us keep them longer than I do. Has Mobile one changed its formula?
The US version of Mobil one have change from using a sythetic base to a dino base, the european version still use a sythetic base. Royal Purple and Ames oil still use a sythetic base.
Old 05-20-08, 03:43 PM
rlj4246
Pole Position

thanks for the info. I did not know that.
Old 05-20-08, 04:00 PM
ISFTwins
Driver

I just had the oil in my ISF (I know, wrong forum) changed to Mobil 1 and was considering Royal Purple which I will definitely use next time! Although, I have also read that a good dino based oil may be better within the break-in period, apparently the friction created without synthetics helps to seat the rings.. Can anyone elaborate or have knowledge of this topic?
Old 05-21-08, 06:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There is some truth to that, thats why manufactuer doesnt recommand synthetic oil during the break in period, but then there are cars such as BMW which come straight from the factory with synthetic.
We use Royal Purple where I work. We use them in 3200 HP motor bearings which have temp sensors on them. We have notice that while using dino oil, the bearings were runing at about 180 F, after switching to Royal Purple it drop 15 F.
Old 05-23-08, 01:43 PM
AHughes
Driver School Candidate

Default Oil Change

Originally Posted by rozGS430
I don't mean to be rude or ignorant and I hate to always compare my GS430 to the BMW 330Ci I had just previous. But I have already put over 10,000 miles on this car since 3/3/07. That is a lot for me. Anyway, I took it to the dealer I bought it from outside of Phila. in July and they offer the first oil change for free. I took it in again this morning for the second oil change and the guy tells me I need the 10k miles service...$140. I asked him what it included and he said oil change, tire rotation and top off all the fluids. Am I crazy or just plain cheap, or does that sound to anyone like a $140 oil change and tire rotation? I could get that at Tires Plus for $18.99 plus the small disposal fee. Why doesn't Lexus include scheduled maintenance? BMW does it and I understand they are one of the few. So what does a regular oil change cost at a Lexus Dealer? I will say one thing for sure, I am not paying $140 every three or four months for an oil change.
I don't blame you for being gypped. I take my '07 GS to the Toyota Dealer here in Central Oregon as we don't have a Lexus dealer here and get the oil changed for about $35 with a vacuum job and a wash. TRy your local toyota dealer after all our Lexus are just Toyotas with big air cleaners..