GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

$140 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 01:48 AM
SiccMonkey
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
I missed the part in this post. Do I have to take my car to Lexus to get the oilchange done in order to keep my warrenty?
nope you can take it anywhere you like or do it yourself
Old 04-18-08, 11:57 AM
lexusgs408
Lead Lap

If you can try to do it yourself and its easy I've done it and its not that bad...
Old 04-18-08, 07:02 PM
Evel
Driver

I received a mailer from Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria, VA (Washington, DC area) offering oil/filter change, brake inspection, battery check, wiper blades, coolant, steering fluid, & brake fluid for the life of ownership of the car for a one time charge of $129.95 I've got my next 5K oil change svc coming up in less than 300 miles. I plan to get the Lexus dealership closest to where I live (Pohanka Lexus) to match the offer of their competitor.
Old 04-18-08, 07:30 PM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Smile

I just did my 10k and it was $66. I bought my Mobile 1, left it in the trunk and told the service writer where it was and he wrote it on the work order and the next day I was in the trunk and they did not even use it. Tech apparently did not read the work order so they they changed oil and filter, rotated tires and I suppose check fluids and gave me a loaner for the hour it took. Only down side is I don't have Mobil 1, but I can live with it for 5k. I called and asked what they used and they said a mix of synthetic and regular oil. Sounds a little odd to me but whatever. At least they didn't ask me to pay for the oil and filter they put on.
Old 04-20-08, 02:10 AM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj4246
I just did my 10k and it was $66. I bought my Mobile 1, left it in the trunk and told the service writer where it was and he wrote it on the work order and the next day I was in the trunk and they did not even use it. Tech apparently did not read the work order so they they changed oil and filter, rotated tires and I suppose check fluids and gave me a loaner for the hour it took. Only down side is I don't have Mobil 1, but I can live with it for 5k. I called and asked what they used and they said a mix of synthetic and regular oil. Sounds a little odd to me but whatever. At least they didn't ask me to pay for the oil and filter they put on.
Come on, they didn't use a mix of anything. Just bulk oil from a big barrel went in your car. Not a big deal, any oil is good for 5K.
Old 04-20-08, 03:29 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Apparently I didn't word it as clearly as I should have. I thought that is what I said. If not, that's what I trying to say. Sorry I didn't make my self clear.
Old 04-20-08, 07:01 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evel
I received a mailer from Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria, VA (Washington, DC area) offering oil/filter change, brake inspection, battery check, wiper blades, coolant, steering fluid, & brake fluid for the life of ownership of the car for a one time charge of $129.95 I've got my next 5K oil change svc coming up in less than 300 miles. I plan to get the Lexus dealership closest to where I live (Pohanka Lexus) to match the offer of their competitor.
I seriously doubt they would match it. They are a bunch of arrogant jerks. I also live near it, and will be servicing my GS at the Toyota dealership a mile away. They said they will gladly change oil for $30.
Old 05-15-08, 01:06 PM
Ryviusx
Driver School Candidate

I did the last oil change myself on my IS 300, Pepboys had a special on synthetic oil. 5 Quartz of Mobile 1 synthetic and a Mobile 1 oil filter for 29.99! After 3 hours of researching on the internet and playing around with the engine myself, I successfully changed the oil myself and I'm set for the next 5 to 10k miles. =] If you love your vehicle as much as I do,then you should definitely try this yourself at least once.

One thing though, the oil filter is located at a very weird spot on Lexus engines, it is to the bottom right portion of your engine. If you can't get a good grip on it to get it off, consider puncturing it with a LONG flat head screwdriver and use it as a leverage to turn it. Yes it's crude... but it's effective! But yeah... usually the local car mechanic can do this much faster and next for nothing either.

Lastly, Don't ever believe that your Lexus dealership can do a better job and would use "better" oil, you're paying for $110 per hour of labor that's all.

Last edited by Ryviusx; 05-15-08 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 01:25 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I just got my 45K mile service done, I changed my own air filter $15, I changed by cabin air filter $30, I had Lexus flush the brakes $130 (never done yet) and had Lexus do an oil change with my mobil 1 (30 for oil) and cost was $42. So total is $245 LOL. Guys you can always go and ask for an oil change, and inspect things your self. Use the same service advisor each time and dont be a ****. He will take care of you if you have something break that is under warranty. They wont say you never let us inspect your engine flange bolt so you are SOL.
Old 05-15-08, 02:49 PM
ISFTwins
Driver

Default Lucky Me!

My dealership up until recently was giving out coupons for free oil changes with the purchase of a new car and after buying about 10 cars from them I have a whole stack.. Is the dealership that I use the only one that was doing this? Needless to say I won't be paying for an oil change for a while.
Old 05-15-08, 03:21 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFTwins
My dealership up until recently was giving out coupons for free oil changes with the purchase of a new car and after buying about 10 cars from them I have a whole stack.. Is the dealership that I use the only one that was doing this? Needless to say I won't be paying for an oil change for a while.
You bought ten cars!? Are you a gazillionaire?
Old 05-15-08, 03:40 PM
ISFTwins
Driver

Originally Posted by Mesca
You bought ten cars!? Are you a gazillionaire?
No, not a even a millionaire, but I just like to get a new car every couple years. Bought a few, leased a few (between my wife and myself) and each time they gave us the coupons.. Plus my salesman tossed in a couple extras..
Old 05-15-08, 04:18 PM
atc1
Driver

Originally Posted by moolman
Come on, they didn't use a mix of anything. Just bulk oil from a big barrel went in your car. Not a big deal, any oil is good for 5K.
The dealer most likely used what is commonly called a synthetic blend. Most major oil brands offer this product.
Old 05-16-08, 06:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, Mobil one is not as good as they use to be. You you want the best, you need to get Royal Purple or Ames oil.
Old 05-16-08, 07:50 PM
rlj4246
Pole Position

what has changed about Mobile one? I have never had a problem myself and I am aware that there are a number of good oils. I would think any good syn. would work for no longer than most of us keep our cars unless most of us keep them longer than I do. Has Mobile one changed its formula?

Quick Reply: $140 Oil Change