GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2007 3GS NAV/DVD/CD Override plug-n-play kit test results - it works!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-07, 09:29 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 3GS NAV/DVD/CD Override plug-n-play kit test results - it works!

What: Plug-n-Play kit from Japan market for allowing DVD playback, all NAV features (entering address, POI, etc), and CD Changer track/playlist access while vehicle is in motion.

Who: Kit is made by Data System of Japan / R-Spec - http://www.datasystem.co.jp
Importer / Supplier of kit in North America is Prestigious Society - www.prestigioussociety.com

For: 2007 Lexus G350, GS430, GS450h with Navigation and ML Sound System (for DVD playback feature to work)

Cost: Contact <sales "at" prestigioussociety.com> for more information.

Why Use It?: This kit is useful for people who want a plug-n-play solution or who are not willing to perform the wire-cutting mods to their cars. The kit will cost more than the DIY wire-cutting mod, but for some this is an acceptable trade-off.

Test Results: The unit performs as advertised by Prestigious Society from all the tests I could think to run. These covered everything from watching DVD's while in motion and using DVD on-screen controls, using CD changer features like playlist details and track names while in motion, and entering address and POI queries from the NAV systm while the car was in motion.

Installation Time: Roughly 20 minutes from start to end.

Installation Tools: #2 Philips, small flat screwdriver, 10mm socket with 3" extension (for radio removal), needle-nose pliers

Installation Overview:

1. Remove interior trim and pull out radio.
See this thread for details:

(thanks to VVT-i for the great DIY post)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156160

2. Remove OEM signal wire (blue clip in photos below) and insert into gray bypass harness from new override kit. Refer to blue triangles 1, 2 & 3 in photos below. Due to tight fit, you may need to use needle-nose pliers to firmly insert new gray bypass harness kit wire block into back of OEM radio unit (see location near triangle # 3).

3. Remove OEM Navigation / DVD harness from back of radio and insert into white bypass harness from new override kit. Refer to blue triangles 4 & 5 in photos below.

4. Insert button control wire from new kit into override circuit block and decide on mounting location for your car. Refer to blue triangle 6 in photo below.

5. Reverse removal procedures and re-install your radio and trim pieces.

6. Enjoy access to all radio CD Changer / DVD playback, and NAV system features while in motion.

** It should also be noted that in my installation case, this new override unit works just fine with the existing VAIS Tech iPod interface kit already installed. No issues at all with them coexisting.

Operation: Press TV button to view DVD while in motion. Press NAVI button to access locked-out CD radio and Navigation features while in motion. GPS route tracking may not be accurate while this button is active. Press NAVI a second time to return to locked-out state and restore full GPS tracking (takes 8-10 seconds to return to normal). As a side feature, NAVI button turns off automatically after 5 minutes of activation.

Installation Pictures:

Related Pictures:

Old 11-09-07, 11:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

woohoo! this is awesome bob!!!!!!!! so you ordered and got the kits already (and installed)? that's fast! took me a while to get mine. prestigious society rules! i am glad that everything worked out on your side!

it's great to know that the unit works fine with vaistech as well, that's a big plus.

seems like if i get a gs350 i will have to order another unit

their webpage is www.prestigioussociety.com, can shoot an email to chung@prestigioussociety.com
Old 11-10-07, 05:59 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

This is awesome....Here is a question.....what does the dial pad do when you hit the phone button....do you have to press the navi button to access phone pad ??

On a side note... I am actually confused on why there appears to be a brain to this unit since all the wire mods do is reroute a wire for us.....
Old 11-10-07, 07:10 AM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
This is awesome....Here is a question.....what does the dial pad do when you hit the phone button....do you have to press the navi button to access phone pad ??
Yes, you press the NAVI button and you get access to the phone pad and it's features while in motion. Sorry, neglected to mention in my post that the normally locked-out phone items also work fine with this unit. Good catch!

On a side note... I am actually confused on why there appears to be a brain to this unit since all the wire mods do is reroute a wire for us.....
Perhaps this houses the simple timer circuit that shuts off the NAVI button press after 5 minutes. There could also be more in there... I did not open it up to see what the PCB looked like inside or what components were mounted to it.
Old 11-10-07, 07:38 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for clarifying....so it seems, when you have not pressed any buttons, the vehicle behaves like nothing was ever done.....so for phone as well as mp3 controls, they are locked out unless you press the navi button.
Old 11-10-07, 09:14 AM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Thanks for clarifying....so it seems, when you have not pressed any buttons, the vehicle behaves like nothing was ever done.....so for phone as well as mp3 controls, they are locked out unless you press the navi button.
Correct. Without pressing the NAVI button, the usual OEM behavior (i.e. locked-out while in motion) is present.
Old 11-10-07, 11:12 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder if this works for those with ML/dvd/phone but no navi
Old 11-10-07, 03:38 PM
sf7307
Pole Position

Thank you so much! I wanted the fix for the phone, my husband wants the fix for the CD info and we both want it for the NAV (no ML, so DVD not an issue). Well done!
Old 11-10-07, 04:51 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Nice install pics Bob!!

I can't wait to get mine installed too....

Thanks
Joe Z
Old 11-10-07, 05:53 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

@sf7307, Joe Z - thanks for the nice words... I am not a great photographer but enjoy trying... this kit was really simple to plug in... the only hard part is thinking of a good spot to mount the button unit... at least each of you can decide where you want it placed and make it happen... there is plenty of cable for almost any mounting spot... I am trying out the center console area now, near that empty swich spot by the seat heater controls...
Old 11-10-07, 06:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

for the ls460 and 3gs it's easier coz' you have that leather panel where the control can "stick out", the 2is is something i have to look at to make sure.

yes, basically the NAVI button is the mastermind for everything

regarding the brain, for sure it has a timer on the unit on the 5 mins. i don't know what else is in there though.
Old 11-11-07, 07:00 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxgs350
@sf7307, Joe Z - thanks for the nice words... I am not a great photographer but enjoy trying... this kit was really simple to plug in... the only hard part is thinking of a good spot to mount the button unit... at least each of you can decide where you want it placed and make it happen... there is plenty of cable for almost any mounting spot... I am trying out the center console area now, near that empty swich spot by the seat heater controls...
Have you thought about the small tan area at the end of the dash board just next to your right knee?? Its just below and to the left of your "blue 6" at the edge of your photo..

Side note: I'm surprised Lexus is still pumping tape decks into 07's..
Old 11-11-07, 01:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

maybe try to do it right under the dash close to where the knee airbag is. tried it this morning, worked pretty well
Old 11-11-07, 01:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

how much is it and how much do we have to wait for it?
Old 11-11-07, 03:09 PM
dmjay
Rookie

+1 on how much and how long does it take.

Quick Reply: 2007 3GS NAV/DVD/CD Override plug-n-play kit test results - it works!